Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Woman spits at ER nurse, battery charges considered

I would say being spit at and spit on is two totally different issues. From reading the article it would seem that the woman spit directly into the face of the ER nurse which I would think is battery if the nurse wanted to press charges.

Northwest Florida Daily News
December 24, 2008
FORT WALTON BEACH?Battery charges are being considered against an intoxicated woman who fought the emergency room staff who were treating her Dec. 20 at the Fort Walton Beach Medical Center.
ER personnel told an Okaloosa County Sheriff?s Office deputy that the woman was ?highly under the influence? and ?combative? with staff. She spit in the face of a nurse who was trying to insert a catheter, according to the incident report.
Two witnesses confirmed the incident. The saliva in question had already been cleaned off the nurse?s face prior to the deputy?s arrival.
Personnel had also placed a surgical mask over the woman?s mouth to prevent her from spitting again.
A warrant for the woman?s arrest will be submitted for review, according to the report.

http://www.nursinglink.com/news/arti...ges-considered

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-04-2009, 03:56 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

If that woman was so combative, why didn't somebody put a surgical mask on her in the first place, instead of after the fact?
The Following User Says Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-04-2009, 04:00 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

My Mom says anyone that gets that combative in the ER gets sent back to jail..... (that's in her ER though)
Old 01-04-2009, 04:09 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliopioneer View Post
If that woman was so combative, why didn't somebody put a surgical mask on her in the first place, instead of after the fact?
I'd think combative & noncompliant are one in the same in this case. I don't imagine she would have agreed to wearing the mask but the option was taken away when she spit directly at the nurse.

Furthermore, don't think I would have continued with the IV insertion, rather IM haldol.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:20 PM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 960 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliopioneer View Post
Because it would be considered either battery or forced restraint, both of which are against the law!!

Karen, RN,

Failure is NOT an option!! Gene Kranz during the Apollo 13 crisis.

When God leads you to it, He WILL lead you through it!
The Following User Says Thank You to kwagner_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2009, 07:25 PM

My Mood:

Spitting is considered battery under Florida statuate because its the same as "touching or striking"

Far as the charges being considered I don't think at this point its up to the nurse or the deputies now. I"m unclear of the circumstances because the article is too vague but there is some type of signifcant type lapse or the deputies would have charged the woman at the scene with "battery on a health care provider." I think what might have happened here is that the police "direct filed" it other words straight to the State Attorneys office. Sometimes they do this here so that a nurse doesn't have to be the one to actually press the charges since some are not comfortable with that.

The fact that the warrant is being considered for review already shows that is in the hands of a higher authority then a Law Enforcement Officer.

If they do go after her it's a felony charge in the state of Florida to hit a health care provider.

TheBeeKeeper, RN
Old 01-05-2009, 02:21 AM

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood:

We are just expected to put up with that here...
We can be hit, punched, whatever, what gets done...

My mummy, and my two gorgeous grandnieces, Sienna and Lily xxx
Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 AM

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,347 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapa View Post
We are just expected to put up with that here...
We can be hit, punched, whatever, what gets done...
Are you serious??? :th_2i8hsav:

And if so, do you get combat pay? That is just crazy...sick or not, you can't go around hurting other people...and nurses ARE people!!!!!

There is a God-Shaped hole in every human being that only He can fill.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRidge For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2009, 09:39 AM

My Mood:

OOps, I guess that charges could be filed against me cause I HAVE put a mask on somebody who wouldn't quit spitting. We mostly just call the popo and let them deal with it. Most of these morons are going to jail anyway. If it is somebody who doesn't know(dementia or the like) I just try to stay out of the way as much as I can, but I have gotten spit on by a lol who didn't know what she was doing. I laid a wash cloth on her cheek (no i didn't cover her mouth) and did the best I could.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:38 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,401 Posts

Absolutely file charges! That is battery witha disgusting and dangerous weapon! That woman chose to get that drunk so she should bear the responsibility for her actions. Hope she drowns in a pool of spit!:th_2i8hsav:

Sorry, but I find the allowance of these types of behaviors from people WITHOUT dementia unacceptable.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to crunch For This Useful Post: