Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Woman Practices as RN for 18 yrs w/o License

A Spring Hill woman was arrested Wednesday afternoon, after deputies discovered she'd worked for 18 years as a nurse with no license.

New Port Richey, Florida ? For the last 18 years, she'd been training students for medical certifications at Pasco-Hernando Community College. But she never had a nursing license, according to deputies.
Sandra Wilbanks, 59, was arrested Wednesday afternoon.
Since August of 1990, she'd worked at PHCC as a registered nurse as the instructor of technical health programs. When she was hired, deputies say Wilbanks provided forged documents to the human resources department to prove she was a nurse. The documents showed Wilbanks had a valid license to practice nursing in Florida.
State law did not require Wilbanks to be a registered nurse in order to be an instructor at PHCC, but the college did.
"The copy of the license she submitted seemed genuine," said PHCC spokesperson Lucy Miller. "Every several years, registered nurses are required to update their licenses, and she provided us with copies through the years."
But the school did not double-check with the Florida Department of Health until this year.
In May, PHCC requested updated licensing information from Wilbanks as the school was in a credential review process for state accreditation. Wilbanks eventually told the school that she "might have let her licensing expire," according to the Pasco County Sheriff's Office. She then submitted her letter of retirement.
"I'm shocked, to be honest with you," said Terri Buell, who earned her certification of Phlebotomy under Wilbanks' instruction. They're also neighbors and have been friends for more than a decade.
"She's a wonderful person, inside and out. She was a good teacher."
Deputies say Wilbanks' nurse status was revoked by the North Carolina Board of Nursing in 1974.
During her time at PHCC, Wilbanks worked as a full-time employee, which included all salary and benefits, including enrollment in the Florida Retirement System. In her 18 years at the college, administrators say all reviews were exemplary.
Wilbanks has bonded out of jail and did not respond to Tampa Bay's 10's request for comment. She is charged with forgery and scheming to defraud.
The Florida Department of Health has an online tool that searches for medical licensing information on anyone in the state. All you need is the person's first or last name.
Click here for PHCC's Statement
Click here for Sheriff's Statement

Janie Porter, Tampa Bay's 10 News

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/loca...=83448&catid=8

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Wow!

Wonder what she did to lose her license in 1974?
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellllllo Nurse View Post
Wow!

Wonder what she did to lose her license in 1974?
That's exactly what I was wondering.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 07-01-2008, 09:38 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:

Me too -
Old 07-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Contrary to the article...she looks as though she's been working nights ;)

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:

Agreed - she does look a little bedraggled - but that could just be the mug shot.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

I love google...Here ya go!

Five years after losing her nursing license in North Carolina over allegations that she had improperly obtained hospital drugs, Sandra Wilbanks wrote to that state's board seeking to make things right.
"I have enjoyed a wonderful 41/2-year teaching career at a community college but feel the nursing part of my life remains unsettled and needs to be resolved," Wilbanks, then known as Sandra Case, wrote from Florida in February 1994.
She wrote that she had no addiction problem and wanted to return to nursing, "a profession that I worked so hard to be a part of since childhood."

Wilbanks joined the faculty at Pasco-Hernando Community College in 1990, teaching technical health classes, after producing a fraudulent copy of a nursing license, according to authorities. The truth didn't come to light until this spring, when college officials checked her license number online as part of a re-accreditation process and found that it belonged to someone else.

How come she never resolved the license issue? Officials can't say. North Carolina told her in March 1994 what she needed to do to have her license reinstated, including submitting performance reports, working under the supervision of a registered nurse and having no access to controlled substances. It never heard back.

Wilbanks had been accused of obtaining prescription drugs — an allergy medication and a narcotic pain reliever — for a patient at the Charlotte hospital where she worked. A review found no documentation of a doctor ordering the drugs or the patient receiving them, according to North Carolina records.

A settlement agreement was reached in January 19 suspending her license for a year. Wilbanks began teaching that year as an adjunct at PHCC.

State records show that one RN license number Wilbanks gave to the school was issued to Sharon Lee Christiansen, then an assistant director at a New Port Richey nursing home.

Wilbanks, who has had no other arrests in Florida, told college officials that she intends to retire, though her retirement benefits could be forfeited if she is convicted. She has declined to speak to reporters.

PHCC officials think her bogus license went unnoticed for so long because she was hired before records were online, and she quickly earned a reputation as a trusted, popular instructor.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...icle648412.ece

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 07-01-2008, 09:50 PM

My Mood:

That's just kind of the way mostly everyone from Pasco county looks.:o No just kidding. I'm not too far from the Pasco county line. Pasco and Polk county are routinely teased for having a lot of "harried" look folks in the Tampa Bay area. :D

TheBeeKeeper, RN
Old 07-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeKeeper View Post
That's just kind of the way mostly everyone from Pasco county looks.:o No just kidding. I'm not too far from the Pasco county line. Pasco and Polk county are routinely teased for having a lot of "harried" look folks in the Tampa Bay area. :D
LOL! So you had already heard of this?

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 AM

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood:

I can see how she got away with it. If she had been a nurse who had lost her registration, and was savvy with paperwork and the system...

She must have been a reasonably good nurse to get away with all of that...

But what happens to all those ppl she trained? Will they be recognised? Or lose their qualifications too?

My mummy, and my two gorgeous grandnieces, Sienna and Lily xxx