Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Woman inserts 3.8cm nail into her uterus

Whoa so sad http://erstories.net/?p=410

A 35-year-old woman with bipolar disease was found wandering on a highway screaming and crying, with disorganized speech. She was evaluated in the emergency department, and a CT of the head revealed a hypodense area. The patient reported that she had a nail in her uterus. In the context of the presentation, this was deemed to be unlikely. However, before magnetic resonance imaging was performed for further evaluation, an xray of the abdomen showed a large nail, which was localized to the bladder on ultrasonography, and an IUD in the uterus. Surgery was scheduled to remove the nail, but on the morning before surgery, the patient painlessly passed a 10-penny 8.3-cm steel nail while voiding. After resolution of this psychotic episode, the patient revealed that her intention was to place the nail in her uterus as a means of protection against being raped, which had occurred in the recent past. She was subsequently admitted to a psychiatric facility

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-28-2008, 09:01 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I wonder what meds she had been on, and if she had been compliant with her regimen. Was she properly assessed for conditions (fever, dehydration, metabolic problems, etc.) that could exacerbate her mental problems and cause that sort of disorientation? That doesn't sound like just bipolar to me. I hope she gets the proper sort of help that she needs, and doesn't just get stuffed full of antipsychotics like I did, years ago.

Creeps me out at the thought of it.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Haunted

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I once worked in the ER and a couple came in with a "situation" that left us all shaking our heads. Seems her IUD had been dislodged and had caused quite a laceration on the gentleman. Not much to do but clean it up ( :rolleyes: ) and send them on their way with some topical.

She had one of those old fashioned spring loaded metal ones. Did I tell you about the guy with a potatoe up his rectum? He was really adorable and oh so embar:oassed but his story was he was boiling some baby red spuds while he was nekked from the shower, slipped on a wet spot:rolleyes: and as he fell he pulled the pot of spuds with him, landing SMACK dabber on top of one.

So sad about the nail lady. Yikes.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:21 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:

Man, that had to be some landing!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Haunted

Cool

His nether region was a bit flabby. Let me just say it had stretch marks on it, around it, etc. The doc used small forceps to remove the spud and this dude barely noticed.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:26 PM

Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,455 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yeah I bet he landed on it. My favorite is the story that went around years ago about a man who came to the ER with a vibrator stuck in his rectum and the MD supposily asked him do you want me to take it or just change the batteries?
Old 06-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_NightNurse View Post
Yeah I bet he landed on it. My favorite is the story that went around years ago about a man who came to the ER with a vibrator stuck in his rectum and the MD supposily asked him do you want me to take it or just change the batteries?
LOL! Was that before or after political correctness?

My favorite was the woman who had a glass thermometer in her bladder, she swore high and low that she had swallowed it.

We once had a guy come in with a live baby gerbil crawling around in his colon :eek:

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 06-28-2008, 09:36 PM

Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,455 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It must have been before political correctness
The things people stick up themselves!!! I've never had such desires!!!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Me either. I don't know how they even get these crazy ideas into their heads :confused:

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 06-28-2008, 10:05 PM
HhRNhhr

1. Man came in with a dildo up his hiney, his girlfriend had told him that she liked it so much, she wanted him to know what it feels like. She lost her grip. ER had to call the surgeon, who managed to get it out with ring forceps. With my back turned I asked "What do you want me to do with it?" I was talking to the pt but the doc answered, "Send it to Path."

Me: You're kidding!
Doc: No, it was removed from the body, so we have to send it to Path.
Me: You're serious??
Doc: YES!! Send it to Path!

Path called and asked "What do you want us to do with this dildo???"

Me: "Ask Dr. D-----!"

2. Man came in by ambulance with a cuke up his hiney. Two ER docs tried to get it out but it was coming out in pieces. Called GI, who said he would take the guy to endo as soon as he was done with his first case. Pt asked to be allowed to sit on the pot. My tech and I were in the outer room, getting the admit paperwork ready, when all of a sudden (through a closed fire door!) we heard a *whump*......and the pt starts yelling for us to come in there. He'd pushed it out on his own.

3. Woman comes in with a tonka toy figure in her woo-woo. ER doc opens her up with a spec and sees a smiley face looking back at him. Doc gets silly and actually writes up a delivery report on it, complete with Apgars!