Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Why does this not surprise me?

Immune to Cuts: Lofty Salaries at Hospitals

By JIM DWYER

At Bronx-Lebanon, a hospital that exists only by the grace and taxed fortunes of the people of New York State, the chief executive was paid $4.8 million in 2007 and $3.6 million in 2008, records show. At NewYork-Presbyterian, a hospital system that receives nearly half a billion dollars annually in public money, the chief executive was paid $9.8 million in 2007 and $2.8 million in 2008.

In an urgent search to cut the state’s health care costs and lift revenue, a task force came up with a plan to increase the cost of a hospital stay by $5 and to limit housekeeping services for the disabled in their homes.

One area of plump costs, however, remained undisturbed: executive suites where salaries and compensation run into the millions of dollars, even at the most financially struggling hospitals.

A proposal to allow public financing for only the first $1 million in wages for an executive died before it even reached the task force. “It was classic how it was killed,” said Judy Wessler, director of the Commission on the Public’s Health System, an advocacy group that had suggested the limits.

“We submitted the proposal in writing, met with the state staff members about it, then testified for our two minutes at a hearing,” Ms. Wessler said. “Then in the written summary of all the 4,000 proposals, they twisted the wording of ours so that it would be impossible to implement. Then they said it was not viable, so it wasn’t even put up for a vote.”

One had worked as a consultant for Mount Sinai Medical Center, which received $250 million in Medicaid and paid its chief executive $2.7 million in 2008. A co-chairman of the task force, Michael Dowling, was paid $2.4 million in 2008 by North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System, which received about $220 million from Medicaid.

UNDER current policies, the State Health Department monitors executive salaries, though much of the compensation data the hospitals provide to the state do not jibe with the tax forms that they must file. In any event, the state does not regulate the salaries, viewing them as decisions that are entirely up to the hospitals’ boards.

“Basically, the state does not set compensation rates for private businesses, even if taxpayer funding is a major revenue stream,” said Claudia Hutton, a spokeswoman for the Health Department. “We don’t have any authority to set compensation levels or even to advise.”
New legislation proposes to give that authority to the state.

Assemblywoman Deborah J. Glick, a Democrat from Manhattan, is sponsoring a bill that would limit executive salaries at publicly financed hospitals to $250,000. She suggested it would be in keeping with some other recent initiatives of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo. “The governor is fond of caps,” Ms. Glick said. “He has suggested a cap on the salary of educational superintendents at $175,000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/ny...gewanted=print

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 03-19-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

This makes me so darn angry- NO ONE is worth that kind of money and I do not care who you are!

They have their priorities in the own back pocket and NOT at those that are sick etc. Let alone see them trimming their seasoned staff to save money like Joanna but still want good patient care and all things to work well for the hospital.

Honestly that article made me so cross you do not want to hear what I really want to say other than fair suck of the sav!!
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 03-19-2011, 04:30 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:

Thank you. I no longer feel guilty, ashamed, or like a parasite for getting help with my medical expenses and prescriptions. I've decided to knock off the bullet-biting and get all the medical help I can. My damned physical therapy is giving me agony, for crying out loud.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliopioneer View Post
Thank you. I no longer feel guilty, ashamed, or like a parasite for getting help with my medical expenses and prescriptions. I've decided to knock off the bullet-biting and get all the medical help I can. My damned physical therapy is giving me agony, for crying out loud.

Take whatever you can, you deserve it and if you start bullet-biting again we'll all come over and slap it out of your mouth!

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 04:52 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliopioneer View Post

Mim, you deserve what you are getting and more. I am with DG on if you start bullet-biting again I am going over there with Dutchie and anyone else from the JUN posse. Love you Mim.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:53 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:

Feel free. I could use some visitors, anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post: