Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 11:10 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What do you guys think of this one?

Crazy story here

13 year old elder and medicine man in a tiny church type doesnt want chemo and parents are refusing it...court orders he needs it

full story
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 05-17-2009, 06:50 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Doctors have said Daniel's cancer had up to a 90 percent chance of being cured with chemotherapy and radiation. Without those treatments, doctors said his chances of survival are 5 percent
I will never understand how parents can stand by and watch their child die when its not necessary. They should have their custody taken away while the child is being treated.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 05-17-2009, 08:28 AM

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,690 Posts
My Mood:
Default The Boy

Sounds like he took one dose of Chemo and then refused it according to the story. I wonder if he had a reaction or just a bad feeling about it. I am mixed--if he doesn't want the chemo I guess he has the right to refuse. It puts the parents in a tough position, though, because if I were his parent I would fight for every opportunity to Zap the CA. Do you think he's old enough to realize the consequences??--if so he should be allowed to choose. I know at 13 I didn't know diddly. th_ththink1-1 I would have done by parents bidding.........interesting story.

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)..
Old 05-17-2009, 04:28 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

th_ththink1-1Intresting one there. I can see both sides. I can see the infringement on the families religious beliefs, their rights as parents and individuals. On the flip side, I don't see how on God's green Earth any sane parent can stand by and not go with a life saving treatment especially with those ods. And what the hey? Since when does a 13 year old make the final decision? I can see if his wishes were taken into consideration, but still............................................. ..................................... this should be intresting to follow.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinurse View Post
I can see the infringement on the families religious beliefs, their rights as parents and individuals.
What about the childs rights?

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 05-17-2009, 05:15 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchgirlRN View Post
What about the childs rights?

Oh definately. If he were my child he'd be getting the chemo, no doubt. If there was only a 5 % chance of the chemo working I'd be fighting tooth and nail for my child's life. Personnally, I think you are right when you said they should take away custody temporarily to get him the treatment he needs.
I was just saying I can see where some others might be coming from. But as mentioned, does this boy at 13 fully realize the consequences? At 13, I would have had no choice but to go with what my parents wanted. So is the choice all this boys? I mean is it him dictating his desires for end of life or did he go through chemo once and just not like the reaction? What kind of teaching did he get from his MD regarding the chemo?
As a parent if there is any hope at all, I'd go for it. Would my child get a voice in the decision? Yes, but I would make the final choice and that would be to undergo any life saving measures.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:21 PM

My Mood:

Anyone else see this update?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30824587

All I can say is .
Old 05-20-2009, 05:28 PM

My Mood:

heres another update appears the mom and child have run off a warrent is out for the moms arrest
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30824587/?GT1=43001

Lisa

Old 05-21-2009, 04:21 AM

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood:

I think this is a very complex issue.

Is the child fully aware of what the treatment does? If he is, would it be quite understandable that he and his family wouldn't want it?

If they are running simply because of fear of treatment and the law that is a different kettle of fish.

You cannot force a child to accept treatment. What are they going to do: tie him down? Sedate him?

My mummy, and my two gorgeous grandnieces, Sienna and Lily xxx