Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Noryn
  • 3 Post By Melinurse

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 09:47 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Washington sets limit on ER visits Docs sue

What do you guys think about this?

Washington state has set a limit of 3 non-emergancy visits for MCD pt's a year. They have made a list of what is not an emergancy which inculdes trouble breathing, abdominal pain, and chest pain not related to an MI
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-03-2011, 01:27 AM

My Mood:

It is really difficult. Medicaid costs keep rising and aren't on a sustainable track. I am not sure preventing or delaying care is cost effective though. Many of the abusers to the system won't be affected, it will be the hospitals. You can charge many of these patients all you want but if they have no recoverable income or property what is the point? I am as progressive as they come but I really hesitate to tell a hospital that they should provide free care because they could easily make that same argument to me.

The entire system is just broke.

~Noryn, RN
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-03-2011, 04:33 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noryn View Post
It is really difficult. Medicaid costs keep rising and aren't on a sustainable track. I am not sure preventing or delaying care is cost effective though. Many of the abusers to the system won't be affected, it will be the hospitals. You can charge many of these patients all you want but if they have no recoverable income or property what is the point? I am as progressive as they come but I really hesitate to tell a hospital that they should provide free care because they could easily make that same argument to me.

The entire system is just broke.

Well said.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I don't abuse the system; in fact, I'll bet that some of the things that are now falling apart and demanding attention are the result of my having ignored practically everything until Medicare kicked in. If there is anything that my Medicare Advantage insurance doesn't cover, both for past and future gallbladder tx, there is no way I can pay it. The only thing I really consider an asset are my cats, but they don't count. Neither, apparently, does my old car, or anything else I have. Sorry about that, but I've never had much money, and I don't see any falling out of the sky right now, either.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:58 PM

My Mood:

My thing is
  1. abdominal pain...can be an emergancy (apendicitis comes to mind straight off)
  2. trouble breathing.......ummmmm you need to breath to live!
  3. chest pain that is not mi related--the average person can't tell the difference!

I do not know what else is on the list still trying to find the list online of all 700 items but those are the 3 i know of and my response to them. some people might still just go no matter what but some people (who might have gone in the past but now that they could get billed) might avoid going so that they can "save" their 3 visits and cause more problems
Old 10-03-2011, 06:33 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

Like Noryn said the whole system needs a make over. It is broken and I don't see the insanity stopping anytime soon. Anytime we get government involved, it will get screwed up one way or another.
Poliopioneer, Noryn and Glendah46 like this.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliopioneer View Post
I don't abuse the system; in fact, I'll bet that some of the things that are now falling apart and demanding attention are the result of my having ignored practically everything until Medicare kicked in. If there is anything that my Medicare Advantage insurance doesn't cover, both for past and future gallbladder tx, there is no way I can pay it. The only thing I really consider an asset are my cats, but they don't count. Neither, apparently, does my old car, or anything else I have. Sorry about that, but I've never had much money, and I don't see any falling out of the sky right now, either.
Did you have Medicaid before Medicare?

~Noryn, RN
Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Briefly, but I stopped using it because it had a ridiculously-high spend down attached to it that made no sense to me. If I had that kind of money to spend, I could pay for my own medical care. So, I did without.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:21 PM

My Mood:

Ahh ok, programs vary state by state. In mine, if you have Medicaid all of your ER visits are covered.

~Noryn, RN