Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Texas doctors opting out of Medicare at alarming rate

Texas doctors are opting out of Medicare at alarming rates, frustrated by reimbursement cuts they say make participation in government-funded care of seniors unaffordable.

Two years after a survey found nearly half of Texas doctors weren't taking some new Medicare patients, new data shows 100 to 200 a year are now ending all involvement with the program. Before 2007, the number of doctors opting out averaged less than a handful a year.

?This new data shows the Medicare system is beginning to implode,? said Dr. Susan Bailey, president of the Texas Medical Association. ?If Congress doesn't fix Medicare soon, there'll be more and more doctors dropping out and Congress' promise to provide medical care to seniors will be broken.?

More than 300 doctors have dropped the program in the last two years, including 50 in the first three months of 2010, according to data compiled by the Houston Chronicle. Texas Medical Association officials, who conducted the 2008 survey, said the numbers far exceeded their assumptions.

The largest number of doctors opting out comes from primary care, a field already short of practitioners nationally and especially in Texas. Psychiatrists also make up a large share of the pie, causing one Texas leader to say, ?God forbid that a senior has dementia.?

The opt-outs follow years of declining Medicare reimbursement that culminated in a looming 21 percent cut in 2010. Congress has voted three times to postpone the cut, which was originally to take effect Jan. 1. It is now set to take effect June 1.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/7009807.html

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 05-22-2010, 10:44 AM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Please, don't even get me started...
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 05-22-2010, 05:10 PM

Thanked 1,104 Times in 630 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I hate to see this. These people work all of their lives and we should be taking soooo much better care of them. I do think the docs should be reimbursed fairly but I also think if they take any assistance to get thru med school they should pay that back in the form of care to the elderly/disabled. Just a thought.

It's not what you are that holds you back, it's what you think you are not.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jules64 For This Useful Post: