Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Thumbs down Tennessee Woman Dies in Iron Lung During Power Outage

I did not know the iron lung still exsisted, did any of you? I found this a very sad story. Click the link and look at the photo's

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,4714211.story
A thunderstorm knocked out the power to her home Wednesday, shutting off the massive metal machine that had helped her breathe for nearly 60 years.

It was about 3 a.m. when the electricity went out at Odell's home in Jackson, a small Tennessee town about 90 miles northeast of Memphis. An emergency generator did not start, and Odell died as her father and brother-in-law took turns pumping the iron lung manually.

Dianne Odell, 61, was believed to be the nation's oldest survivor of polio to have spent almost all of her life inside an iron lung.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-01-2008, 02:48 PM

Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,455 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Wow I didn't know that still existed
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-01-2008, 03:40 PM
mercyteapot

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Wow, and her father is still alive and able to pump the lung manually. He'd most likely be in his 80s, at least. I wonder why the generator didn't start.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

It was on our local news. The family had not tested the generator in over 20 years to make sure that it still worked :(

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 06-01-2008, 04:16 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:

60 years in an iron lung..... That sounds terrible!!! Poor lady -
Old 06-02-2008, 08:31 AM

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood:

Surely her medical team could have replaced her iron lung with a more current treatment...
Sorry, I couldn't access the page to find out why she was using the apparatus in the first place...
Old 06-03-2008, 05:36 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:

I remember reading that she was using the iron lung because spinal deformities prevented her from using the more modern forms of breathing apparatus.

Very sad.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:15 PM

Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,455 Posts
My Mood:

I wasn't able to read the story before, the link didn't work for me but now it did. That is so sad. That family must have been a bunch of saints!!! It couldn't have been easy taking care of someone in that condition.