Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Banned

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry Tech May Have Exposed Thousands to Hep C

AP) A former surgery technician may have exposed thousands of Colorado patients to hepatitis C when she swapped her own dirty syringes for ones filled with a powerful narcotic, federal authorities said Thursday.

Kristen Diane Parker faces criminal charges for allegedly making the swaps while working at Audubon Ambulatory Surgery Center in Colorado Springs and Rose Medical Center in Denver.

Authorities say Parker admitted to changing out syringes containing a saline solution with ones filled with the painkiller Fentanyl. Parker injected herself with the drug, according to a complaint filed Thursday in U.S. District Court in Denver.

An affidavit by Mary F. LaFrance, an investigator for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, says at least nine surgery patients at Rose have tested positive for hepatitis C, which is incurable. About 6,000 patients are being advised they may have been exposed and need to be tested.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...ctionContent.1

th_smily
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Bubba13

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

???

Total idiocy.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-03-2009, 10:32 PM

Thanked 1,604 Times in 804 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Although I am opposed to the death penalty, I would be in total agreement to any sentence that would suggest leaving that creature alone in a room with the victims and their families & let nature take its course.
The Following User Says Thank You to loricatus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Banned

My Mood:

There are some addicts who hurt nobody but themselves and their families, whom I feel somewhat sorry for, and hope they find the road to recovery. People mess up sometimes.

However, this woman needs to be in prison for the rest of her life (IMHO).
The Following User Says Thank You to Absolutely13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricatus View Post
Although I am opposed to the death penalty, I would be in total agreement to any sentence that would suggest leaving that creature alone in a room with the victims and their families & let nature take its course.
I hadn't thought of that, but count me in. Any guesses how a surgery tech could have access and time alone to do this at two facilities? I haven't been in that environment (without giving anyone ideas).
Old 07-03-2009, 11:26 PM

Thanked 1,604 Times in 804 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely13 View Post
I hadn't thought of that, but count me in. Any guesses how a surgery tech could have access and time alone to do this at two facilities? I haven't been in that environment (without giving anyone ideas).
The surgery center where I work uses fentanyl like it was a saline. Docs come out of surgery with it in a syringe and decide whether to give the patient or waste it. The waste is then 'witnessed' by the circulating nurse on a sheet of paper. I have refused to record a waste because the doc said they wasted it. In addition, I use fentanyl like crazy in the recovering patient. It is supplied as 100mcg vials of 2 mL and usually given in 25mcg increments. When I waste, I have to get another nurse's attention to watch me dump it in the trash.

All I can say here is that an addict would have easy access to it in the average surgery center environment, without the need to infect patients the way this one did. I also find it very strange that the staff did not notice that the patients weren't responding to the fentanyl when a certain person was the tech-if you get my drift.

ETA: Found more stuff on her at the 'other place'
http://www.gazette.com/articles/audu...nter-rose.html

http://audubonsurgerycenter.blogspot.com/

There are a lot of other things regarding the easy access to it I have witnessed; but, I don't want to give anyone out there this type of info. Please trust me when I tell you that there was no need for this creature to get her fix the way she did, it is just too easy to come by to have to swap syringes-that is, unless she was already being closely watched (but then the centers would have explaining to do).

Last edited by loricatus; 07-03-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: added more stuff
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loricatus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2009, 06:53 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

How tragic for these patients to know they have been infected this way.
My mother received infected blood in 1986 after major kidney surgery.
Blood was not screened for Hep C until 1991 so she was unlucky.
It took her life and to watch someone with Hep C go through all they do, let me tell you it is horrible.
This 'nurse' and I use the term loosely should take what ever the Judge dishes out to her.
Her addiction, desperate or not, will take many lives.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
How tragic for these patients to know they have been infected this way.
My mother received infected blood in 1986 after major kidney surgery.
Blood was not screened for Hep C until 1991 so she was unlucky.
It took her life and to watch someone with Hep C go through all they do, let me tell you it is horrible.
This 'nurse' and I use the term loosely should take what ever the Judge dishes out to her.
Her addiction, desperate or not, will take many lives.
Oh my God, Sabby! I'm so sorry. I don't even know what else to say. ((((Hugs))))

Speechless.
The Following User Says Thank You to Absolutely13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2009, 01:51 AM

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood:

(((Sabby)))

That health worker deserves the book thrown at her. I may have compassion for people with addictions. I do. There are many reasons people 'do' drugs. For a 'dare', leading to addiction, or for a way out to escape pain, physical or emotional, also leading to dependence. They are trapped.

But I have no compassion for people wilfully causing innocent others to become permanently ill, intentionally or otherwise.

My mummy, and my two gorgeous grandnieces, Sienna and Lily xxx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nyapa For This Useful Post: