Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Retention Strategies for Keeping the Best Nurses in the Profession

By Debra Wood, RN, contributor June 17, 2011 - Offers of free televisions, concierge services and other incentives established to help persuade nurses to continue working during the boom times of the last decade have, for the most part, fallen out of favor. Instead, many of today’s health systems are returning to more meaningful enticements, such as career ladders, tuition reimbursement and a voice in their clinical practice.

June Marshall, DNP, RN, NEA-BC, said preventing burnout is an important element of creating healthy work environments that attract and retain nurses. “Retaining nurses is important for providing stable patient care environments and building strong teams”. “The nurse leaders who studied the characteristics of hospital environments that created the foundation for the Magnet Recognition Program found that retaining nurses in hospital environments improved nurse satisfaction, patient satisfaction and specific clinical outcomes.”

Andy Romine, said there is no substitute for an experienced nurse, so Trinity Medical Center works to retain its seasoned nurses. Andy Romine, chief nursing officer at Trinity Medical Center in Birmingham, Ala., added, “There is no substitute for experience. Nurses who have a great deal of experience bring a lot to the team in terms of patient care improvement. There’s not a whole lot they haven’t seen. There’s not a whole lot they haven’t done, and they bring that experience to bear when it comes to improving the outcomes of our patients.”

For the full article: http://nursezone.com/printArticle.aspx?articleID=37104

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,199 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Try rewarding service with pay.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-18-2011, 03:48 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Our hospital had the magnet program going and it did far more harm than good. I think the best way to retain is telling your nurses they did a good job once in a while, bonuses for higher patient satisfaction scores, proper staffing to avoid nurse burn out. Proper staffing would also help the patient satifaction scores and make nurseing more rewarding as we'd have the time to spend attending to our patients instead of paperwork. Sorry, did not mean to rant.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:48 PM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurseforever View Post
Try rewarding service with pay.

I agree with you that is what will retain your seasoned nurses to stay doing what they love, although the work environment still needs to be worked on.
Nurses are way over worked lets face it!!!
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Old 06-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
I agree with you that is what will retain your seasoned nurses to stay doing what they love, although the work environment still needs to be worked on.
Nurses are way over worked lets face it!!!
I agree too.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC