Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default The public wants us to be vaccinated against H1N1

Oddities, musings and news from
the world of health

The public speaks to healthcare providers: Get your swine flu shots!

October 1, 2009
The American public may be reluctant to get vaccinated against the pandemic H1N1 influenza virus, but they are certain about one thing -- they want their healthcare providers to get immunized. A new survey by researchers at the University of Michigan's Mott Children's Hospital found that 87% of 2,365 adults polled believed that healthcare workers should be required to be vaccinated. "The public clearly expects health care workers to lead by example," said Dr. Matthew Davis, director of the poll.
Only 38% of the healthcare workers, however, said that they were likely to do so. Their reasons were confusing, at best. Many said they did not need to be vaccinated because there are drugs -- particularly the antiviral drug Tamiflu -- to treat the illness if it develops. Others said that they planned to get the seasonal flu vaccine and that it would protect them from swine flu.
The latter rationale is completely wrong. Studies have shown that vaccination for seasonal flu provides no protection against swine flu whatsoever. "In addition, relying on medications to treat H1N1 flu is a gamble" because resistance to the drug is likely to develop and there may not be adequate supplies if a severe outbreak occurs, Davis said.
The Times receives many e-mails from anti-vaccine folks arguing that healthcare workers are refusing to get vaccinated "because they know something about the vaccine that the public doesn't." What really seems to be the case, however, is that they know less about the flu than most citizens.
-- Thomas H. Maugh II
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/boos...-flu-shots.htm
l

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-03-2009, 10:57 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Also, at the risk of playing the same, tired tune, antivirals and the doc visit needed to get them cost money. The three major hospials in the Cleveland area are offering the H1N1 vaccine for free (I still go to the newspaper website), I know what I'd choose to do if my family were un- or under-insured.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

H1N1 will be provided free to all hospitals, doctors offices, pharmacies, health depts, etc...they send them prepacked in syringes. It will be up to the facility if they want to charge to cover the cost of the nurse injecting it. Of course they will charge! shtnur

I'll get mine free at the hospital. I'll send ds wherever has it first, cost or no cost. He's 20 so he's in the high risk group.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 10-04-2009, 01:03 AM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:

Nope.. not happening... already told my DON I will not be getting it...

Too many variables... I'm not taking the chance with the shot.. I'll take my chances with the Swine

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 10-04-2009, 01:07 AM

My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

~Noryn, RN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noryn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2009, 05:56 AM

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,690 Posts
My Mood:

Very cute Noryn--Love the little piggy. Is he the one that stayed home, or the one that ate roast beef??? I think I will take my chances w/o the H1N1 shot--I worked in an MD office and have gotten a flu shot every year except 2007 in my adult life. My kids have, too, so I think they will opt for just the reg flu shot as well.

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)..
Old 10-04-2009, 03:11 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:

What I have now, is an ordinary, lousy cold, but I'm still trying to blast junk up out of my lungs because I have asthma. I'm not going to mess around with the flu. I've had the seasonal shot, and I'm getting the H1N1 shot, too, if there's any left.