Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 06:20 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Prostate Cancer Study

I thought this was intresting so I thought I would share it.

http://www.breakthroughdigest.com/ca...-cancer-study/
Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 PM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I saw that on another board. My comment was "Did these two men actually get cured or are they in remission?" and that 2 out of over 100 men isn't much.
Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-24-2009, 06:52 AM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

My guess would be remission. And I agree 2 out of over 100 is not the greatest either but I still found it intresting.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

It's been a little over a year since dh had his prostatectomy. I know of two men who chose the other route and are now both dead. I think there is a huge, tremendous difference in the prostate cancer that middle aged men vs elderly men get.

Elderly men with prostate cancer will die of something else before the cancer ever gets them but middle aged men like my dh (at age 52) are a ticking time bomb with prostate CA and it needs to come out.

It is interesting but I wouldn't want to be one of those who it didn't work out for.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2009, 01:28 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchgirlRN View Post
It's been a little over a year since dh had his prostatectomy. I know of two men who chose the other route and are now both dead. I think there is a huge, tremendous difference in the prostate cancer that middle aged men vs elderly men get.

Elderly men with prostate cancer will die of something else before the cancer ever gets them but middle aged men like my dh (at age 52) are a ticking time bomb with prostate CA and it needs to come out.

It is interesting but I wouldn't want to be one of those who it didn't work out for.

Ok Prostate Cancer has no age, in fact no cancer does. How a person is treated for cancer is based on so many factors, regardless of age. The treatment modality for cancer, on a basic level, is simple: 1) surgery --- go in, get it out, be done. 2) Radiation -- if surgery cant be done --- irradiate and deal with side effects. and 3) if all else cant be done, chemotherapy.

However, you also have to basis it on lymph node involvement, the pt and their wishes and wants, and finally co-morbidities. All i do is oncology, with my primary specialty in Urology. I have seen men as young as 35 with prostate cancer to as old as 90. Ive seen the young ones die from this awful disease and have more co morbidities than my 90 year old who his only comorbidity is his prostate ca.

I have to disagree with your response of Prostate Ca is different from the elderly vs. the middle aged man.

As for cure vs remission. A patient only considered cured if they are disease free for 5 or more years. But it is extremely rare, even at the 5 year mark that a physician will say a patient is cured, they are simply disease free. I know its vocabulary, but its just the way it is. You never know on a cellular level what is going on...Unfortunately I have seen many pts come back with their cancer many years later, a big one is the renal cancers. It stinks :(
The Following User Says Thank You to JennaRN1006 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

There are different kinds of cancer. Biopsies obviously tell us which kind a person has. My husband had squamous cell carcinoma which is agressive. Hence his prostate needed to come out.

95% of prostate cancer is adneocarcinoma, which grows very slowly and is usually found when it is still a intraepithelial neoplasia and is found when the PSA is elevated and the doctor sends the pt for a biopsy. For elderly men radiation and/or seeds is appropriate, removing the prostate is commonly not necessary.

This is what I'm referring to when I'm talking about the difference in mens ages. I would assume that a young man with adneocarcinoma of the prostate would have an option to have it removed or do the seed/radiation treatment.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post: