Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Dahlia

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Plan To Close Clover Bottom Developmental Center

DG, do you have anything from a local angle?

It's always the neediest who get screwed.

-----

By Scott Arnold
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Before state lawmakers is a $50 million plan to move residents out of Nashville's Clover Bottom Developmental Center.

More than a 100 people live at Clover Bottom. It's known as a place that gives intensive care to people with intellectual disabilities. Their conditions are so fragile, there's the fear if they are moved some of them could die.

The news of the possible move has not sat well at Clover Bottom. Linne Burkett has a sister there. She's worried about how fast the state will move patients.

"Not slowly accomplished, then the shock the trauma is often too much for these folks because there sense of well being and their sense of safety has to do with their familiarity," said Burkett.

Similar moves, from similar facilities around the country back up her claims that people could die if moved from Clover Bottom.

Lawmakers share concerns that by moving them, we will lose 15 percent to 20 percent of the Clover Bottom patients.

State officials insist they've done this before at other facilities with positive results. Dollar signs are behind the closing of Clover Bottom.

"It is the most expensive facility that we run, and the second most expensive facility in the country," said Finance Commissioner Dave Goetz.

The state wants to spend $50 million to build 30 new group homes in various places. That's where the 108 residents will eventually go.
That could mean 400 state employees would be laid off. The employees union has another solution.

"Have the people who are presently caring for them at Clover Bottom, move out to those facilities," said Robert O'Connel with the state employee's association.

Built in the 1920's Clover Bottom is a facility with a rich history, but because it has a $56 million annual price tag - change is coming.

"The facilities are deteriorating to the point where it would require a huge investment to basically tear down and reconstruct the physical plant," said Goetz.

When it's all said and done, it could take two years for all of the 108 residents to eventually move out of Clover Bottom. The state will still use the facility for a number of different things.

Before anything is done though lawmakers have to approve the plan, and that could take several more weeks or even months.
E-mail: sarnold@newschannel5.com

-----

The video says they will use the facility for other uses. Sounds contradictory to me.

http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=11972609

Last edited by Dahlia; 03-24-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 03-24-2010, 06:56 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Use the facility for "other uses"? Like what? How do you use facilities that are allegedly in such a state of disrepair that the present tennants require relocation?

People with intellectual, psychiatric, or neurological impairments require a set routine free from major deviations to be able to function at any level. Here's a big, fat wish for Dave Goetz and his cronies: may something like this land on your heads and the heads of your families.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 03-24-2010, 07:30 PM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliopioneer View Post
Use the facility for "other uses"? Like what? How do you use facilities that are allegedly in such a state of disrepair that the present tennants require relocation?

People with intellectual, psychiatric, or neurological impairments require a set routine free from major deviations to be able to function at any level.

Here's a big, fat wish for Dave Goetz and his cronies: may something like this land on your heads and the heads of your families.

How very true Mim.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I went there as a student nurse in 1975 and it was in bad shape then and I was not impressed with any of it. I thought it was dirty, patients were not well taken care of, I thought it was a disgrace then and the state needed a good swift kick in the butt.

I have not heard anything about it on the news or in the paper but I'll keep my eye out. They obviously have to do something. They can't turn all those people loose on their own.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I did just find this article. I feel so bad for the employees as well as the patients. I just can't fathom how everyone will be affected.

Tenn. to send 853 state layoff notices this week

The Associated Press March 24, 2010.
By ERIK SCHELZIG

NASHVILLE, Tenn. Tennessee will begin mailing out layoff notices this week to 853 state employees, Gov. Phil Bredesen said Wednesday.
The Democratic governor said another 317 layoff notices will be sent out over the next six months as the state shuts down the Clover Bottom long-term care facility for the mentally disabled in Nashville.
Bredesen said the first round of layoffs are being made for "business reasons" amid budget pressures, mostly in the intellectual disabilities and children's services fields.
"It's unfortunate this has to happen, but I'm just trying so hard to guide the state through this very difficult economic time," Bredesen said. "To do that we've got to keep our expenses matched to the revenues that come in."

The layoff notices have to be sent out now so the positions will be vacant by the time the state's next budget year begins on July 1, he said.

Bredesen's proposals would raise about $49 million and save about 200 jobs among prosecutors, public defenders, foresters and probation and parole officers.

Clover Bottom is the state's oldest long-term care facility for the mentally disabled. Closing the facility is projected to save about $36 million per year in state and federal dollars. Officials say residents can be moved to another state-run facility in East Tennessee or to private facilities.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D9EL4CL00.htm

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:

How are any of them supposed to be able to afford "private facilities"? Times are tough for everyone right now, and even if there's some money or insurance around, these are not conditions that clear up and go away like a cold or the flu.

Why don't these political high and mighties take some drastic pay cuts of their own to balance their finances?
The Following User Says Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post: