Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Our costs in taking care of illegal aliens

It's 3 minutes long. Interesting testimony.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Haunted

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I think her presentation loses a lot of impact by her choice of words "illegal patient". I absolutley agree with her facts and can say without a doubt that California has that burden and more.

Not all undocumented people are from Mexico or South or Central America. In California we are seeing an increase in Asian, Middle Eastern and some Europeans who present to the ER and have no insurance. It's true that these patients are usually treated and streeted but if this patient is admitted, they are very sick due to lack of consistant health care and require an extensive stay to meet discharge criteria.

I personally don't care at this point. I'm there to provide care to the patient and it matters not to me if they are insured or in this country illegally. I am aware of the snowball effect that California especially is experiencing. Insurance is very expensive and I have a lot of friends who are considered "working poor" who live on the fringe of not being able to pay for insurance but making too much to qualify for State assistance.

I think this meeting would have benefitted from having Michael Moore present his movie "Sicko" which was hilarious and drove home the point.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 08-03-2008, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I agree that if a patient is found to be illegal then we should contact the imigration department and they should handle the deportation of the immigrant. We should treat all patients regardless of the statues of that patients citizenship. But after that is done then they should be reurned to their country or face the criminal charges for their crime. They are illegal and this term is appropriate because they have violated the law. If they are employed here and it is found that their employeer was aware that they are illegal then the hospital or goverment should be able to go after them for payment of the hospital bill. We will only solve this problem by holding the employers responsible. If there is no work and no financial incintive to be here you will see the illegal immigration problem improve. But this is a very complicated subject and will require alot more to be done before it gets better. If we would just inforce the current laws we would see a dramatic improvement. I don't blame the immigrant. I would do the same for my family if needed.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nurse advocate For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I totally agree. These people should be treated and then reported. Where I work, if you don't have a SSN, you don't get a bill. Our own citizens are not so fortunate.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Banned

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that I very much resent the huge strain that illegals place on our healthcare, educational, law enforement and corrections systems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hellllllo Nurse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2008, 07:07 PM
bumblebeeRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
I think her presentation loses a lot of impact by her choice of words "illegal patient". I absolutley agree with her facts and can say without a doubt that California has that burden and more.

Not all undocumented people are from Mexico or South or Central America. In California we are seeing an increase in Asian, Middle Eastern and some Europeans who present to the ER and have no insurance. It's true that these patients are usually treated and streeted but if this patient is admitted, they are very sick due to lack of consistant health care and require an extensive stay to meet discharge criteria.

I personally don't care at this point. I'm there to provide care to the patient and it matters not to me if they are insured or in this country illegally. I am aware of the snowball effect that California especially is experiencing. Insurance is very expensive and I have a lot of friends who are considered "working poor" who live on the fringe of not being able to pay for insurance but making too much to qualify for State assistance.

I think this meeting would have benefitted from having Michael Moore present his movie "Sicko" which was hilarious and drove home the point.

I couldn't agree with you more!! there was a point in my life when I had no insurance- found myself in a hard situation and I am a USA citizen!!!!!!

I as an RN am responsible for doing my job, providing health care to ANY indiviual regardless if they have insurance or not, regardless where they come from---

I still gotta see that movie "sicko"-------- I haven't seen it because I hate seeing horrible things around the world-- but I hear it is a very educational movie.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:18 PM
bumblebeeRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse advocate View Post
I agree that if a patient is found to be illegal then we should contact the imigration department and they should handle the deportation of the immigrant. We should treat all patients regardless of the statues of that patients citizenship. But after that is done then they should be reurned to their country or face the criminal charges for their crime. They are illegal and this term is appropriate because they have violated the law. If they are employed here and it is found that their employeer was aware that they are illegal then the hospital or goverment should be able to go after them for payment of the hospital bill. We will only solve this problem by holding the employers responsible. If there is no work and no financial incintive to be here you will see the illegal immigration problem improve. But this is a very complicated subject and will require alot more to be done before it gets better. If we would just inforce the current laws we would see a dramatic improvement. I don't blame the immigrant. I would do the same for my family if needed.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion--- but I don't think that it is fair to report someone to immigration to be deported who is in need of medical care just because they have abdominal pain, or a heart attack. Alot of people who come here on an illegal bases are comming from third world country where there is major poverty and hard to find jobs-- and when you have a job you only get paid $5/day and the food is still with high prices-
There are people who leave their children with their grandmothers and aunts just so they could work here and afford food, clothes and shelter for their children.
I would never report private information to anyone unless I knew that it endangered the lives of others or the patient himself.
I hear news of illegal immigrants being deported-- eventhough they have american born children here.... what's up with that??
And was it fair that the europeans came here -- took the land, and killed the indians?? why did they not get deported back to europe??
United States of America is a country full with different kinds of people from allover the world now-- so just because someone is here who is trying to make a better lives from themselves and their families--- and they just happen to get sick one day and seek medical help does not mean that they should be deported back to their country of origin--
I pay my taxes too.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:24 PM
bumblebeeRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchgirlRN View Post
I totally agree. These people should be treated and then reported. Where I work, if you don't have a SSN, you don't get a bill. Our own citizens are not so fortunate.

then they should cut those bills right?? $2K to get advil for an ER visit?? that is ridiculous.
These people should be treated, and helped to get their immigrant status to legal.... that's the right way to do things.

A lot of people come here to make a better lives from themselves---- and everyone has a human right to be treated for medical care.
That is so unfair and pure evil if an illegal immigrant goes to the emergency care, or to get a check up then reported!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:38 PM
bumblebeeRN

There are a lot of things that I find extremely unfair.

But if a person is brain damaged and has no chance of survival and has no family to decide for them, why do they not go to the court and ask for a state apointed person to make decisions for a brain damaged patient? instead of spending thousands of $$ to send them back to their native country??

IF there are a lot of women who are illegal and giving birth to babies-- why not set up educational programs in the communty to help prevent/decrease the pregnancy rates in the area??

The bills here in this country are ridiculous for health care--- In other countries everyone is entitled to health care--- why shouldn't it be like that here.

When I did not have heath insurance I went to the doctor just for a regular check up-- I was not sick but I wanted to go, get some blood tests--- and my bill came up to $350. The doctor was with me for not even 5 minutes, they took some blood from me-- and that was that--- I was single at the time without much responsibility but I can't imagine my bills if I would of gotten sick.-------- and that is pretty sad I might say.

There has to be a balance here people-- no one should charge that much for a doctors visit.

when my daughter was in the hospital 2 years ago, the hospital bill came up to $37,000 for 3 night stay. She had IV antibiotics, & IVF --- and $37,000 for an 8 month old baby. I saw the bill, apparently someone did not put in here insurance information into the computer system-- eventhough I had given them the card and my information--
and that was a healthy baby just there for an infection----------
Old 08-03-2008, 08:00 PM

Hey if you want to hear abuse of the system, talk to us Canadians.

About three years ago, a woman flew here from Jamaica at 9 months. Delivered her baby on the taxpayers dime. The baby was born with a massive heart defect that Mum claimed to have zero knowledge of. But the baby got citizenship and a whole uproar about how we had to save the life of this Canadian. Mum left the baby with her relatives here and went home to her family. The child has had several heart ops. One of the surgeon donated his time but all other costs were picked up by the health region. Mum came here knowing she was pregnant without travellers insurance. So the taxpayer is still paying for this child.

If you can still read at AN check out the posts by clueless in the Canadian forum. She's coming to Canada on a one year contract and just happens to be pregnant. She may not even be in the country long enough to qualify for provincial health care. But she is expecting maternity benefits and health care. She's coming on a work visa and will manage to have a citizen while here at the taxpayers expense. Guess she won't be going home at the end of her contract.

I'm just fed up of the system being used. I wouldn't deny anyone care but this person has it planned. Refugees are one thing, hell we provide healthcare for your deserters from the Iraq war.