Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default One Third of Nurses Plan Career Change Within 3 Years

Our nation is experiencing a nursing shortage. AMN Healthcare recently conducted and published a survey of 1,399 nurses and their career satisfaction. They found that 28% of nurses do not plan to be in their current job just a mere one year from now.

In addition, 29% indicated they plan to reduce their hours or involvement, or leave the field altogether in 1 to 3 years. On top of that, another 15% plan to change or advance their nursing career, such as becoming a nurse practitioner. This totals to a 44% of America?s nurses that do not plan to be in their current positions within 3 years.

The study also showed that 55% of nurses feel the quality of care provided by nurses has declined since 5 years ago. However, 59% do not regret at all choosing nursing as a career and would do it all over again, while 64% would recommend it to the young people just starting out. (That?s still a whopping 36% who would not recommend it.)

The survey provides a glimpse into what might be the problems, including the lack of qualified educators and high turnover and retirement rates coupled with exploding demand. Many leave their jobs because of the poor work environments. Almost half of the nurses in the survey said their jobs negatively impacted their health.

What are your thoughts? th_ththink1-1

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Been a nurse since 2002, been a job jumper trying to find something good since then! I have not worked ANY job longer than 2.5 years.

All nursing jobs seem to be drama laden and busy. I like this job - it's a low-risk job. I would probably not do it forever though - I tend to get restless and want something else. At the present, I have no plans for movement whatsoever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diary For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 02-22-2010, 06:47 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:

The nursing part didn't bother me, and I got along with some of the worst patients that other people didn't want to work with. The politics and the corporate bs were what repelled me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2010, 08:55 PM

My Mood:

Im feeling the burn out and at 3.5 years, im on the mark. I am debating changing jobs or hanging in there to get my advanced practice degree.

I love bedside...but the demand and acuity and the MDs make it harder. Sigh
Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 941 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Like the others, the actual patient care isn't the problem. It's the high acuity coupled with high patient load that is now the norm on med-surg units that keep most of us dreading going to work.

The corporate bs, constantly increasing paperwork and regulatory demands add to the burden that make me wonder how much longer I can deal with it. I have been a nurse just shy of 4 years.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Dahlia

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

When are "they" going to see the nursing shortage for what it is: Nurses who aren't willing to work under those conditions? Make it like it was: taking care of sick people in hospitals. I'm so sick of "customer service" and hospitals that look like upscale hotels (where I used to work).

I've never been one for bargaining units, but until we band together and raise holy hell (demerit, please), nothing will change.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

My longest two jobs have been OB/GYN for 12 years and Med/Surg for 10 years.

OB/GYN I left because I just couldn't do nights anymore and was tired of waiting for a day shift.

I loved, loved, loved Med/Surg but after 10 years I couldn't take another day. Between the patient load, the long hours, the lack of a break, 10 minute lunch, disrespect from the patients and from the family members it just about broke me from nursing all together.

I love medical imaging. The only stress is the management drama. If that resolves I could see myself doing it until I can retire. Only 11 years. By then I would have been a nurse for 45 years!

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaRN View Post
When are "they" going to see the nursing shortage for what it is: Nurses who aren't willing to work under those conditions? Make it like it was: taking care of sick people in hospitals. I'm so sick of "customer service" and hospitals that look like upscale hotels (where I used to work).

I've never been one for bargaining units, but until we band together and raise holy hell (demerit, please), nothing will change.

I totally agree Linda!

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2010, 01:27 AM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:

After working as an aide on a very busy Med/Surg/Oncology floor of a suburban hospital, I learned very quickly that if I had to give that floor 2 years after I graduated that I would never make it.

The patients were always higher acuity than the floor could actually handle, and every time the charge tried to ship them down to ICU or Stepdown, they were told there weren't any beds. I was at the nurse's station one evening when the person on the ICU or Stepdown unit told the charge nurse there weren't any beds. Charge said "I'm looking at Bed Board right now and you have 4 beds available." Then I heard her saying "I don't care if you think you need them for sick patients, I'm telling you, you're getting this one." And she hung up.

That floor was notorious for a major league pecking order, nurses running roughshod over the aides and being very mean to them, and being mean to one another. Every time someone quit, the unit manager asked what the problem was, and the answer was always the same. "The nursing staff is mean."

If I ever have to work another Med/Surg floor, I will find another job.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Kylee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2010, 05:42 AM

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood:

Well most people know why I left acute care nursing. Due to physical violence. Not of my own choosing. Won't elaborate, but it was severe abuse over 20 years.

I know this is an issue that many nurses experience, some maybe not so severe as mine, and this needs to be addressed. NOW. Nurses need to know their rights. Their employers should take seriously their responsibility of providing a safe workplace. And nurses shouldn't be afraid to involve police.

We are part of our own problem. We all think this is part of care, and I'm not just talking nurses. Often it is those at the coal face i.e techs and CNAs, or PCAs as we call them here.

This is a problem the hospitals and governments shove under the carpet. And nurses are afraid to say something...their jobs could be on the line for being whistle blowers

OK, off my soap box

My mummy, and my two gorgeous grandnieces, Sienna and Lily xxx
The Following User Says Thank You to nyapa For This Useful Post: