Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 07:26 PM

Thanked 1,604 Times in 804 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Obama meets with Nurses re: health Care Reform

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/Nurse...h-Care-Reform/
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-16-2009, 07:30 AM

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,347 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I am so totally NOT a member of ANA, since they do not speak for me on almost all social issues.

When I heard Obama say on the radio that "Our nurses are on board" with this push to socialized medicine, just KNEW it had to be the ANA...th_smily Speaking for all nurses my Aunt Fanny........

There is a God-Shaped hole in every human being that only He can fill.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueRidge For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-25-2009, 02:28 AM

My Mood:

This is the straw that breaks the camel's back. I will not be renewing my membership this year. They are nothing but a bunch of bureaucratic desk nurses that have no idea what it's like to work at the bedside.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grammy1958 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2009, 05:45 AM

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,690 Posts
My Mood:
Default This whole thing is scary

First a chunk of the banks-then a chunk of the car industry. Now the health care reform that is being pushed--I am very uncomfortable with the direction this all is going.......just saying.forumsmiley1019 (in 6 months)

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)..
The Following User Says Thank You to Glendah46 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 AM

My Mood:

I agree!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 AM

Thanked 1,604 Times in 804 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendah46 View Post
Now the health care reform that is being pushed--
The only health care reform I could support would have to include a total reform of the health insurance industry. I believe that the lack of control over health care insurance companies is what has caused the crisis...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loricatus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 12:02 PM

My Mood:

I also believe its the amount of lawsuits also that brings up the prices. I am not saying there are valid lawsuits out there but some are questionable.

Lisa

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frez For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 12:35 PM

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,725 Posts
My Mood:

I may not agree with everything he is doing. But I do know something needs to be done about healthcare. They have cut dental and vision benefits here for those on Medi-cal (medicaid) for anyone over 18. Which means the whole population of the participants with which I work with have no dental bennies. These are DD/MR clients most get maybe $30-$45 a month for PI and now that is supposed to go towards thier yearly dental visists.
Work has even upped our out of pocket that we pay per check for our insurance, it has almost double luckily I only have me on there, and its $75 each check for the HMO medical and dental options the PPO options are $200 per check. Luckily kids are on thier dads and his is set up as a medical spending acount so for all the kids and himself he pays maybe $40 per pay period.
Not to mention with the double we pay for the ins, the copays per visist and for perscriptions has double as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momx3lvn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned

My Mood:

I agree that something needs to be done. There are some pretty wild fabrications going around and a lot of crystal ball speculation as to what exactly is being proposed. The experts on both sides abound, most without the credentials to back up their claims.

The crisis is monumental and minimized by many. Just consider this:

If you?re like me, I?ll bet you find it hard to picture just how many people 46 million people are. So try this.

If you combined the populations of New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, San Antonio, Dallas, San Diego, San Jose, Detroit, San Francisco, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Austin, Columbus, Fort Worth, Charlotte, Memphis, Baltimore, El Paso, Boston, Milwaukee, Denver, Seattle, Nashville, Washington DC, Las Vegas, Portland, Louisville, Oklahoma City, Tucson, Atlanta, Albuquerque, Fresno, Sacramento, Long Beach, Mesa, Kansas City, Omaha, Cleveland, Virginia Beach, Miami, Oakland, and Raleigh, you?d still have less people than the number of people in America who don?t have health insurance.

That?s a lot of people who are completely f@#cked if they get sick.
Can you see, now, how healthcare becomes a critical national security issue? We?re talking the population of the top 45 cities in the United States, all who can?t get healthcare. Imagine (worst case scenario) that all those cities shut down. America, as a civilization, would come to a screaming halt.

And this is the best-case scenario coming directly from the health insurance industry! Clearly, the health insurance model isn?t working. A more probable scenario comes from the AFL-CIO, who references a report a report entitled Americans at Risk, from the healthcare advocacy group Families USA.
According to Americans at Risk, one in three Americans went without health insurance some time in 2007 or 2008. Their study shows 86.7 million individuals were uninsured, and:

Three in five (60.2 percent) were uninsured for nine months or more. Nearly three-quarters (74.5 percent) were uninsured for six months or more.
If you wanted to try to picture 86.7 million Americans, just imagine you combined all of the people living in the top 273 cities in the United States.
So, in addition to everyone in cities from New York City to Raleigh being without health insurance for at least some time in the last two years, add every resident of Tulsa, Minneapolis, Colorado Springs, Honolulu, Arlington, Wichita, St. Louis, Tampa, Santa Ana, Anaheim, Cincinnati, Bakersfield, Aurora, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Riverside, Toledo, Stockton, Corpus Christi, Lexington, St. Paul, Anchorage, Newark, Buffalo, Plano, Henderson, Lincoln, Fort Wayne, Glendale, Greensboro, Chandler, St. Petersburg, and Jersey City.
Add every resident from Scottsdale, Norfolk, Madison, Orlando, Birmingham, Baton Rouge, Durham, Laredo, Lubbock, Chesapeake, Chula Vista, Garland, Winston-Salem, North Las Vegas, Reno, Gilbert, Hialeah, Arlington, Akron, Irvine, Rochester, Boise City, Modesto, Fremont, Montgomery, Spokane, Richmond, Yonkers, Irving, Shreveport, San Bernardino, Tacoma, Glendale, Des Moines, Augusta, Grand Rapids, Huntington Beach, Mobile, Moreno Valley, Little Rock, Amarillo, Columbus, Oxnard, Fontana, Knoxville, Fort Lauderdale, Salt Lake City, Newport News, Huntsville, Tempe, Brownsville, Worcester, Fayetteville, Jackson, and Tallahassee.

Add every resident from Aurora, Ontario, Providence, Overland Park, Rancho Cucamonga, Chattanooga, Oceanside, Santa Clarita, Garden Grove, Vancouver, Grand Prairie, Peoria, Rockford, Cape Coral, Springfield, Santa Rosa, Sioux Falls, Port St. Lucie, Dayton, Salem, Pomona, Springfield, Eugene, Corona, Pasadena, Joliet, Pembroke Pines, Paterson, Hampton, Lancaster, Alexandria, Salinas, Palmdale, Naperville, Pasadena, Kansas City, Hayward, Hollywood, Lakewood, Torrance, and Syracuse.

Add every resident from Escondido, Fort Collins, Bridgeport, Orange, Warren, Elk Grove, Savannah, Mesquite, Sunnyvale, Fullerton, McAllen, Cary, Cedar Rapids, Sterling Heights, Columbia, Coral Springs, Carrollton, Elizabeth, Hartford, Waco, Bellevue, New Haven, West Valley City, Topeka, Thousand Oaks, El Monte, McKinney, Concord, Visalia, Simi Valley, Olathe, Clarksville, Denton, Stamford, Provo, Springfield, Killeen, Abilene, Evansville, Gainesville, Vallejo, Ann Arbor, and Peoria.

Add every resident from Lansing, Lafayette, Thornton, Athens, Flint, Inglewood, Roseville, Charleston, Beaumont, Independence, Victorville, Santa Clara, Costa Mesa, Miami Gardens, Manchester, Miramar, Downey, Arvada, Allentown, Westminster, Waterbury, Norman, Midland, Elgin, West Covina, Clearwater, Cambridge, and Pueblo.

Add every resident from West Jordan, Round Rock, Billings, Erie, South Bend, San Buenaventura, Fairfield, Lowell, Norwalk, Burbank, Richmond, Pompano Beach, High Point, Murfreesboro, Lewisville, Richardson, Daly City, Berkeley, Gresham, Wichita Falls, Green Bay, Davenport, my own Palm Bay, Columbia, Portsmouth, Rochester, Antioch, and Wilmington.

Those are America?s top 273 cities and that listing vividly showcases just how many Americans went without healthcare for at least some time in the last two years, 75 percent of whom were without coverage for six months or more.
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/08/0...rs/#more-48967
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Absolutely13 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2009, 03:37 PM

My Mood:

Yeah something is going to have to give--these costs are just insane. I don't know what the answer is though--these social programs are killing us with costs---

Hello California!!!!

I think if it continues we will just have to make the new work week 50 hours--we have already made it so both spouses almost have to work. Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of them but Medicaid in particular is becoming a larger and larger portion of budgets--Medicare is set to go broke earlier than expected and social security does not seem to have long term stability. So what do you do? I guess just pay more taxes--but wow--we already work what until May of each year just paying taxes?

~Noryn, RN