Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By NurseAtLast

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 05:51 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Nursing Student Saves College Students Life

Article

A college student collapsed on a sidewalk in downtown Charleston. The street wasn't busy and he was lucky to be found at all, but the person who found him makes him extra lucky.

When a healthy college student collapsed in downtown Charleston, one nursing student took the phrase "right place, right time" to a whole different level and ended up saving a life.

Justin Repshas is a healthy 22-year-old college student. He is majoring in exercise science and takes physical fitness seriously.

"I've played sports all my life, soccer, compete in the bridge and that kind of thing," Repshas said.

One Wednesday afternoon on his daily run, something went wrong.

"I just collapsed," Repshas said. "Then I woke up in the hospital."

What happened before he woke up in that hospital bed was a miracle.

Meg Skeele was out with friends when she drove past Repshas lying on the ground at the corner of Chapel and East Bay Streets.

Skeele, a nursing student, took action and began CPR.

"It was crazy how it all kicked into gear naturally," Skeele said. "I surprised myself. I didn't know I had that in me."

Then something even more amazing happened. A cardiologist saw the commotion and jumped in to help. Dr. Michael Bernard credits Skeele with saving Repshas's life.

"She was doing all the right things," Bernard said. "Not only that but she was doing it in a timely manner."

It turns out that Repshas has non-compaction syndrome, a rare condition he'd never even heard of.

He now sports this scar from a device that will protect him from irregular heart rhythms. Skeele sports a necklace, which was a gift from Repshas and his family for saving his life.

Repshas, Skeele and Bernard all wanted to stress the importance of learning CPR.

It only takes an afternoon to become certified.

Repshas says his condition won't allow him to be as active as he once was, but he says he's feeling great since he's been out of the hospital.

Impressive that she just jumped right in there and was doing what needed to be done. I always worry that I will freeze when/if the time comes for me to help someone
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-09-2012, 04:44 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Good reminder there Megs and what a great story with a wonderful outcome.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM

My Mood:
Default yes

CPR is something that everyone needs to know. Had to get certified when I worked at a daycare in college (11 years ago) and just decided to remain certified. It is one thing that I know that I know.

Only ever had to use it once, at a pool party, I can't swim so I was hanging out on the side when one of the kids began to drown. It was a lot of people in the pool and we just missed him. A cousin pulled him out and they were histerical, he wasn't breathing. I had to push to get to him and me and another cousin performed CPR, he started coughing up water just as the ambulance arrived. Scariest 3 minutes of my life.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsimpson View Post
CPR is something that everyone needs to know. Had to get certified when I worked at a daycare in college (11 years ago) and just decided to remain certified. It is one thing that I know that I know.
I wish there was more of a push for people to get certified. You see health care campaigns everywhere for all kinds of things. CPR can save peoples lives, and I think that there should be more of a movement to get teens and college students certified. Don't you?