Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Nurses Week is May 6-12, 2010

Dates: May 6-12
Birthday of Florence Nightingale: May 12
Florence Nightingale Pledge:
"I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly, to pass my life in purity and to practice my profession faithfully. I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug. I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession, and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling. With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician in his work, and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care.

Although not enacted until 1974, the history of Nurses week begins in 1953 when Dorothy Sutherland of the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare sent a proposal to President Eisenhower. Her proposal was to proclaim "Nurses Day" to be celebrated in October of 1954. There was no proclamation rendered. However, in 1954 National Nurses Week was observed marking the 100th anniversary of Florence Nightingales's mission to Crimea.
In 1974, after the proclamation by the International Council of Nurses that May 12 would be "International Nurse Day," a week was designated as "National Nurse Week" and was so proclaimed by President Nixon.
In 1978, May 6 was declared as "Nurses Day" by New Jersey Governor Brendon Byrne. In 1981 a resolution was initiated by nurses in New Mexico to have May 6 declared "National Recognition Day for Nurses." This proposal was promoted by the ANA Board of Directors and in 1982, with a joint resolution, the United States Congress designated May 6 to be "National Recognition Day for Nurses." This proposal was then signed by President Reagan, making May 6 the official "National Recognition Day for Nurses."
This day was expanded to a week (May 6-12) in 1990 by the ANA Board of Directors. The week begins on May 6 with the "National Recognition Day for Nurses" and with a week long celebration, ends on May 12, the birthday of Florence Nightingale, long considered to be the founder of present day nursing. These dates were made permanent in 1993 and in all subsequent years, "National Nurses Week" has been celebrated from May 6-12.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 05-03-2010, 05:08 PM

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,347 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I solemnly swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, Foreign and Domestic.......

wait, wrong oath!!!

Very nice post, DG, and thanks for honoring Nurses' Week....if we don't congratulate each other, who will??

There is a God-Shaped hole in every human being that only He can fill.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRidge For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 05-03-2010, 05:26 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:

We had to recite Flo's pledge for school. They were particular that we all get the pronounciation of Deleterious correct!

And guess whose birthday also falls on National Nurses Day/Florence Nightengale's birthday? ;)
Old 05-03-2010, 05:35 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
I solemnly swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, Foreign and Domestic.......

wait, wrong oath!!!

Very nice post, DG, and thanks for honoring Nurses' Week....if we don't congratulate each other, who will??

HEY!!!! I TOOK that very same oath... Feb. 2,2009....

And I thought Flo's birthday was May 10th? I have it written down as May 10th... Oy....

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 05-03-2010, 06:06 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Nightingale

DOB listed as May 12th, 1820...
Old 05-03-2010, 06:28 PM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Yes Happy Nurses week to us all

I find it interesting that Social Workers have a month to celebrate and we get 7 days, I just saying......
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Old 05-03-2010, 10:03 PM

Thanked 1,498 Times in 878 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diary View Post
And guess whose birthday also falls on National Nurses Day/Florence Nightengale's birthday? ;)
Joey's!!!! How did you know?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

Wishing all Junnies a very happy nurse's week.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:16 AM

Thanked 1,104 Times in 630 Posts
My Mood:

We can't be mischievous? I think they neglected to mention that one to me! Damn! If I had only known all those years ago.......

It's not what you are that holds you back, it's what you think you are not.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:58 AM

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,690 Posts
My Mood:

I put some flowers out on the desk and when people ask I tell them it's NNW. (I won't be here the 6-10th but the girls can enjoy them)

I am proud to be a nurse and proud to be a part of JUN. HAPPY NURSES WEEK!! YEAR, DECADE, HOUR, MINUTE.....you catch my drift. Love you all.

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)..
The Following User Says Thank You to Glendah46 For This Useful Post: