Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 10:15 AM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 960 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Default Nurse Shuts off Vent!! On Video!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...t-machine.html

I got this from Dria on FB!!

Sad!!

Karen, RN,

Failure is NOT an option!! Gene Kranz during the Apollo 13 crisis.

When God leads you to it, He WILL lead you through it!
Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to kwagner_51 For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-30-2010, 10:31 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:

More than sad I feel many errors on many different levels..
Who would send a nurse out to care for some one on a ventilator without the proper training and which nurse in her right mind would agree to it.
I feel there is more to this story than meets the eyes!!
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-30-2010, 01:24 PM

My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Such a sad story for everyone. I will be sending it out as a cautionary tale. I got some flack a few months from some nurse friends who are equally as inexperienced as me for not accepting a pediatric home health job. The case involved a vent pt. I have no vent training at all. The company wasn't offering to train me, they actually told me to look it up online as if that would have prepared me for someone bucking or extubating. I wasn't willing to chance a tragedy happening. So many said any nursing job is better than no job. They are WRONG. It is better to clean houses, wait tables, dig ditches, anything other then taking a nursing job where there is no adequate training. I wonder if this nurse took the gig out of financial desperation.

TheBeeKeeper, RN
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheBeeKeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 04:40 PM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I took a home care vent pt my first year out of school, but only because I was told the mom would take care of the vent, I would do everything else. If I'd been responsible for the vent too I would have refused without training.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 07:34 PM

Yup, I saw that when it hit the UK papers.

One thing I live by is, if you don't know what the button controls, don't push it. And then not to admit you did it???
Old 10-30-2010, 07:57 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I wonder how long that woman had been in nursing, and why her agency had sent her to a job for which she was not properly prepared. I have had very little vent experience, and I would have flat-out refused to take the position, financial difficulties not withstanding. There are other jobs; even if they are difficult to find, I can live more easily with the memory of eating one small meal a day for 6 weeks or so, as opposed to the memory of having caused someone such tragedy because I was unfamiliar with techniques and equipment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2010, 02:27 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:

The more I read this story the more disturbed I am by it.
Sad thing is that this young man's life has been drastically changed.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Old 10-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Cheshire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I finally got around to watching this.

You know, I have to say that even if I accidentally shut off a ventilator, even if I knew absolutely nothing else, I would know enough to get the ambu bag out and start bagging the patient right away. I am sure the patient was there as well trying to mouth to the nurse what to do.

One of my first jobs in health care was caring for home-bound ventilator patients. This was prior to me having a nursing license, even (I was a PCA.) I was usually the only one with the patient. I had a couple situations that could have gone bad quickly (mucus plugging, etc.) and I had to resolve them myself on my own, with very little training. I managed.

Please God, let her be the only person out there that stupid.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 AM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeKeeper View Post
I got some flack a few months from some nurse friends who are equally as inexperienced as me for not accepting a pediatric home health job. The case involved a vent pt. I have no vent training at all. The company wasn't offering to train me, they actually told me to look it up online as if that would have prepared me for someone bucking or extubating.

Oh my goodness. I am so thankful my company not only trains but also sends someone along the first time you do anything new to you.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:48 AM

My Mood:

Wow.

For anyone curious.... once a patient makes it all the way home and is on a home-type ventilator, rest assured 99% of the time, there is NO REASON to adjust ANYTHING on it.... maybe if you're trained you can temporarily up the O2 pre-suctioning, but just as easy to touch nothing, pop the circuit and bag with 100% to preoxygenate.
That just boggles the brain.
Do NOT understand why anyone would "fiddle" with a home vent.

Also, can one of our Aussie nurses tell me how a nurse can get a home-care job without proof of certificate or post-grad?
I'm under the impression most of your nurses are interned into their "specialties".
The Following User Says Thank You to RN Randy For This Useful Post: