Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 12:34 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Nurse peeled pain patches off clients, put them in his mouth, put them back

Nurse peeled pain patches off clients, put them in his mouth, put them back.
State: Nurse peeled pain patches off clients, put them in his mouth, put them back - StarTribune.com
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-03-2015, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Gee-Ross.

Pretty slick for the LPN to just "borrow" the patches from cognitively impaired residents. And no one noticed he was working with a Fentanyl patch on his tongue??
Purple_roses likes this.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:39 PM

My Mood:

Reading the article reminded me off a nurse who I had to do narcotic duty for her pts- when I worked at a Rehab hospital-she was a CRNA who would lick old Fentanyl patches from her post-op pts.

Once cleared from the BON restrictions, she went back to being a CRNA; I always wonder how she is doing whenever The subject of diversion or situations like these occur.
GrnTea and Purple_roses like this.

~Future member of the Crusty Old Bat Society~
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-04-2015, 12:25 AM

My Mood:

Thats just nasty.

Although given that here some patients on the methadone program have been known to appear to swallow their methadone, go outside and regurg it and then sell it.

Apparently regurgitated methadone only sells for 1/2 price

Addiction is a nasty beast
Old 11-04-2015, 06:49 AM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,401 Posts

. Seriously.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:14 AM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 941 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I'm always amazed at the incredibly creative ways people find to feed drug habits. I mean....REALLY. Shooting up between toes.....snorting crushed narcs to get it "in" quicker.....and now Tongue Games with patches. Wow.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:43 AM

Once we found a guy in restroom, crouched on his knees and with his hand stuck hard into toilet bowl. He did not even try to conceal the fact that he attempted to get a patch peeled off his dear daddy minutes before and (not as it was supposed to be dispatched off) flushed down that toilet then and there. It took a good couple of hours, broken bowl and broken hand to get him out of there. Addiction is the awful thing.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:15 AM

My Mood:

I, too, wondered how he got by as long as he did with a patch on his tongue.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:05 PM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 960 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Having worked in LTC, I am not surprised that no one noticed that he had a patch in his mouth. With 54 pts 1 CNA and 1 QMA covering 2 halls, there is no way anyone is going to see any other workers other than the 2 hr bed checks.[and that is assuming you actually have time to help with said bed checks.]

Basically, we count nacs at end of shift. They had their patches on therefore, he gave the narc and the drug sheet came out correct.

There were 5 units in the LTC I worked at. North 1 & 2 South 1 & 2 and Rehab. I worked nocs and covered South 1 & 2. North 1 & 2 was a long ways from where I was working. As far as I know I was the only RN in the building. I checked on the LPN on North once in 12 hrs.

The day shift nurse did the drug count with the noc nurse.

The shift mentioned in the first paragraph was the LAST shift I worked in LTC. That noc I had an actively dying pt and a QMA who wasn't permitted to give insulin or G tube feedings. I also had to give the narcotics.

So based on my experience, I am not at all surprised that the LPN was able to steal the patches for an hour. LTC is the best place to feed your additions!! :(
Poliopioneer and GrnTea like this.

Karen, RN,

Failure is NOT an option!! Gene Kranz during the Apollo 13 crisis.

When God leads you to it, He WILL lead you through it!
The Following User Says Thank You to kwagner_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

More so that being nasty and nauseating it makes me angry, very angry, that a nurse would do that to a patient.

Never mind a patient who can complain that they are still in pain but to do it to cognitively impaired patients is just down right abuse of another human being and he should spend some time in jail so he has time to think and so that he can detox in miserable fashion.

I worked with drug addicts for 4 years. I always thought but for the grace go I and treated them the same way I would any other patient with any other disease but I was against the way they were detoxed. It was way too easy on them and they still complained about it. They expected to be sedated per IV and stay sedated for 4 days until the drugs were out of their system.

Back in the day we used to give them Lomotil PRN, Phenergan PRN, and Librium Q 6 hours. They were still very uncomfortable but hey we did not see any repeaters.

kwagner_51, GrnTea and RN Who like this.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC