Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Nurse handcuffed for not drawing blood received $78,000 for Chicago police

A nurse who was handcuffed by a Chicago Police Officer when she refused to draw blood from a drunk-driving suspect fast enough for him in August settled her lawsuit against the officer for $78,000.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports that Lisa Hofstra, a nurse at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, sued Officer Marcelo Rodriguez and the city after Rodriguez allegedly became "belligerent" when she told him the hospital could not draw blood until the driver was admitted as a patient.
Rodriguez then handcuffed Hofstra and forced her to sit in the back of a squad car for 45 minutes, the Sun-Times reports.
"He snucked up behind me grabbed my arms," Hofstra told ABC Chicago in September. "I didn't even realize what was happening...I just saw the faces of the people in front of me before I realized I was in handcuffs."
"Literally he held her hostage until there was a blood test done," Hofstra's attorney Blake Horwitz, told ABC.
Horwitz told the Sun-Times Tuesday that Hofstra understands the need for officers to obtain blood samples, but "it just has to be done through proper means."
The blood samples the officer wanted involved a drunk driving case that goes back to court March 10. The Sun-Times reports:
The driver, Raquel Wright, 47, was arrested for allegedly striking 24-year-old motorcyclist Alexandru Foamete with her Volvo at 3:05 a.m. Aug. 1 at Ashland and Wilson on the North Side. She failed a field sobriety test and refused further tests, police said. Foamete died Aug. 7. Wright has been charged with reckless homicide and aggravated DUI.

The Original Newscast when it happened (3:05) http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=62861@wbbm.dayport.com

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 03-13-2010, 10:49 PM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Some cops are real jerks. Most are just fine, some are terrific, but the jerks give the good ones a bad name. There's a PD in North Dakota that was trying to arrest someone with an outstanding warrant from Alaska. They asked her partner to come home to let them in, and she refused. She was on duty at an Air Force base at the time. The cops looked through the window, saw a marriage cert for the two ladies, and informed the Air Force about the partner, who was then discharged for being gay. She followed the "don't ask, don't tell" policy to the letter, but they told on her.

My experience with a jerky cop wasn't a legal issue but still.......an elderly woman was driving her husband around and pulled out in front of a car, and they got t-boned. The husband ended up dying at the scene and the wife was brought to us. She kept crying and begging us to tell her how her husband was doing; we were waiting for the coroner to tell her. The highway patrolman came in to talk to her; I told him we'd been telling her that her husband was taken to the other hospital so we didn't know how he was. Of course the woman asked him how her husband was, and he said "I don't know, they have him in another room and they're checking him out."

I wanted to kill him.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 03-14-2010, 05:28 AM

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Nurses cop enough from the public, without receiving that sort of treatment from their so called colleagues...

My mummy, and my two gorgeous grandnieces, Sienna and Lily xxx
Old 03-14-2010, 07:15 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

This story infuriated me, I bet that cop suffers from little weenie syndrome there was no cause for him to do such a thing. What a prick, I sure hope he gets fired because he does not need to be a policeman anymore. th_wait3
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2010, 08:49 AM

Thanked 1,104 Times in 630 Posts
My Mood:

Sabby, LMAO at your post! How true--hope he loses his job!
In our town we had a cop pull over three teenage girls and took them to a firehouse (not the police station) and strip searched them! The sued the shit out of the city and won! One of the cops lost his job, the others were just punished. They should have all lost their jobs and the one that lost his job should have went to jail.

It's not what you are that holds you back, it's what you think you are not.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
The Following User Says Thank You to jules64 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2010, 09:39 AM

Thanked 1,498 Times in 878 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I'm not a big fan of the Chicago Police. While I'm sure there are exceptions, most of the ones I've encountered have that same cocky attitude. And the one who outright lied in court. And the one who....
Old 03-14-2010, 11:16 AM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I hope they end up needing to have blood drawn, and they end up with that same nurse.
I also hope that she keeps a file around to dull down the needles before she uses them...
Old 03-14-2010, 11:49 AM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

A cop friend of mine told me once he always treats nurses with respect unless they're rude to him, because he never knows when he would need their help. Obviously this one never learned that.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:

I am glad she got some compensation for the horrible behavior she had to endure from the cops!