Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Nurse fired for trying to expose neglect in death of homeless man

BY Alison Gendar
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Monday, March 28th 2011, 4:00 AM

Daniel Iverson died after being turned away from the Roosevelt Hospital ER, a lawsuit alleges.

A Manhattan hospital refused to treat a homeless man who had taken a fatal drug overdose - and then fired a nurse who tried to expose the mistake, court papers charge.

The suit filed by former Roosevelt Hospital nurse Danna Novak came as a shock to the family of the homeless patient, Daniel Iverson.

"We were called to the hospital and told he had died," Iverson's half brother said of the August 2009 death. "No one mentioned that he had been in the hospital earlier and not gotten care."
Iverson was well-known to the emergency room staff. The 51-year-old alcoholic would wheel himself into the hospital, his prosthetic left leg lying across his lap, to complain about back pain or to persuade someone to let him sleep off his latest bender, court papers say. His last visit was different.

When he came into the ER, he told Novak, the triage nurse, he was sick of living and had consumed 700 milligrams of morphine, court papers say. She took his vitals, recorded a racing heart and low blood pressure, marked him "emergent" and rolled him to the resuscitation room. There, another nurse declared Iverson was faking it, the suit says. A second nurse berated Novak for being naive and said Iverson would have to wait for a doctor.
The suit says Novak recounted Iverson's apparent suicide attempt, his physical condition and need for medical attention - with no success. After listening to the exchange, Iverson turned his wheelchair around and rolled out of the emergency room, Novak claims.

The next morning, a hot dog vendor found Iverson in his wheelchair outside the hospital, cold and gray. He was taken to the ER, where he was pronounced dead.

Novak claims she told the ER's medical director her account of Iverson's care the day after his death.

An Aug. 23 autopsy by the city medical examiner determined Iverson died of an overdose of morphine and alcohol, with sedatives in his system.
The nurse's suit did not name Iverson, but law enforcement sources confirmed he was the patient.

Novak declined to comment, but her suit alleges that the hospital tried to force her to quit and then fired her, claiming she left patients unattended. A hospital spokesman said Novak's firing was not related to Iverson's death.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 PM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Yeah right it wasn't related to the death. Uh huh.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Of course it wasn't, Tazzi. (Gee, all those shovels scraping and throwing that bs are so loud.)
Old 03-29-2011, 04:26 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HhRNhhr View Post
Yeah right it wasn't related to the death. Uh huh.
Yep I agree Jo, sad situation for the guy who was calling out for help even though he had been there many times before he still deserved to be taken as serious and given the care he should have received. He most likely would be alive today.

When I first read the headlines I thought of Loricatus and her issue!
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 PM

Thanked 1,604 Times in 804 Posts
My Mood:

Having had worked in NYC ERs, this doesn't surprise me in the least. Seems this type of issue and the cover-up crap is all over. Pity is that now that the nurse's name is exposed she is going to have trouble finding another hospital job in that area-blacklisting does happen. Hopefully she will get enough money to get her out of there. I admire her for what she has done and would have (and have) done the very same thing. My prayers and support go out to her.