Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Nurse Fired for Facebook Post

Oakwood Hospital Employee Fired for Facebook Posting

By RONNIE DAHL
myFOXDetroit.com
Cheryl James enjoyed her job at Oakwood Hospital. She never imagined posting something on Facebook from her own computer on her own time would get her fired. "He died for us, protecting us," said James.
Like so many others, James was emotional following the shooting death of Taylor Police Corporal Matthew Edwards. She worked for the hospital organization that treated the police officer and the shooting suspect, Tyress Mathews.

While at home, she posted on Facebook that she came face-to-face with a cop killer and hoped he rotted in hell. Tuesday, she got a call. Her bosses wanted to talk. "They called me in, told me that they gotten word that I had posted this specific post on Facebook, and that they had to investigate it," James said.

She says she immediately removed the posting and thought she might get written up or suspended. Instead, she got fired.

"The reason they gave me was that I violated HIPPA regulations by disseminating protected health information about a patient on a public forum, being Facebook, and that it also included disparaging and disrespectful remarks," said James.

Late Friday afternoon, a representative for Oakwood Hospital released the following statement.
"As healthcare providers, we have a legal and ethical responsibility to protect patient privacy and we are bound by HIPAA rules and regulations to ensure that we do so. All of our employees are trained and expected to protect patient information. This means keeping details confidential that might make it easy to identify a patient even if his or her name has not been revealed. That?s why disciplinary action, even termination, may result from sharing information about patients inappropriately in any public forum or setting.
While we cannot discuss specific details regarding any current or former employee, we all have a legal and ethical responsibility to put our personal opinions aside and provide the care required for any patient who has entrusted us with their health."

"I am familiar with HIPPA. I did not give out any of his information. I did not give out his name. I did not mention the hospital. I did not give out his condition," James said. She is still reeling from losing her job. She doesn't believe her actions warranted being fired. She has two small kids, and her husband can't work. While her feelings about the accused cop killer haven't changed, she says she'll think twice about what she posts on Facebook in the future.

"Hindsight is 20/20. Would I take back what I did? No. Would I do it in a different manner? Maybe," said James.
She is planning to fight her termination.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20100730-wpms

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 12-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

I do think she deserved to be fired. While she didn't use the patients name saying something like she had come in contact with a cop killer and she hoped he rotted in hell is her personal opinion but a nurse should not say such a thing so publically. Her page probably shows where she works too. Either way, nurses shouldn't say such things publically about a patient they have cared for.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 12-23-2010, 06:49 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I don't know that that she deserved to be fired for that post - but going back to work at the same hospital would definitel be alkward....
Old 12-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Dahlia

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I agree. As unfair as it may seem at times, we are held to a higher standard. As nurses, we commit ourselves to perform under a code of ethics. If we can't uphold the code, we don't need to be nurses. It's not about us. It's about respecting others. The first provision in the ANA Code of Ethics states:

1. The nurse, in all professional relationships, practices with compassion and respect for the inherent dignity, worth, and uniqueness of every individual, unrestricted by considerations of social or economic status, personal attributes, or the nature of health problems.

Various social media are making it easier for us to be "ourselves." Sorry. If you're a nurse, you have to always be a nurse. Even on Facebook.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Dahlia

BTW, did you hear about an aid at the Betty Ford Center who was fired for talking about Lindsay Lohan? Same issue.

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainm...enn-story.html
Old 12-23-2010, 07:06 PM
HhRNhhr

Sorry, I think she did violate HIPAA. A violation is any act that identifies a pt in any way. The general public may not have known who she was talking about, but anyone in her town who knows her, knows what hospital she works at and knew about the story because it would have made the news.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 07:26 PM

Thanked 1,604 Times in 804 Posts
My Mood:

In total agreement that she should be fired and that she did expose PHI.

FB is no place to talk about anything you do not want the world (wide web) to know.
The Following User Says Thank You to loricatus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 09:47 PM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Yep I agree.

HIPAA laws are very strict and it is drummed all the time. The laws are there to protect all information about a patient being shared outside of the immediate nursing situation, with people that are not directly involved with their care.

I do not understand why people would do this!!
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Old 12-23-2010, 10:01 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:

Years ago, we were taught to keep our mouths shut about certain things. Now it seems as if people need to be taught to put their hands in their laps, too.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:41 AM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliopioneer View Post
Years ago, we were taught to keep our mouths shut about certain things. Now it seems as if people need to be taught to put their hands in their laps, too.
LOL

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post: