Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 05:49 PM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 960 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Angry Nurse Exposes VA

This is so sad and it makes me so ANGRY!!! I just want to puke!!

Nurse exposes VA hospital: Stolen drugs, tortured veterans | New York Post

Karen, RN,

Failure is NOT an option!! Gene Kranz during the Apollo 13 crisis.

When God leads you to it, He WILL lead you through it!
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-13-2014, 09:44 AM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,199 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

thanks for posting. terrible to treat a seasoned nurse this way.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-13-2014, 04:09 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 941 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Should be interesting next week at work. Whoa.

I'm not in a position to address much of this story....and hey, I LIKE my job.....but I will say that The New York Post is a rag. Yellow journalism at it's most repugnant. The more reputable newspapers have not gone with this; it's not like The Post 'scooped' them all. Just sayin' that I don't believe everything in the Enquirer, either, unless the New York Times has also concurred. And they nearly never do, if ever.

No one wants to see any more abuses at any VAs, obviously. And while I would NEVER protect the guilty, I've learned to not run to attack them until they ARE proven guilty....especially in this climate, especially with the VA in the midwest having some serious issues that make excellent news fodder, and especially not with multiple-layers of this story floating around.

Believe me, I want to see this played out fairly and honestly.....and hope to hell it does. I'm hoping there's a whole 'nother side of this that will come out, because if it's there, it NEEDS to.

And I was really glad the whole VA thing was staying out of my backyard...
Old 07-13-2014, 07:40 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I will not comment on this article. I will however, let it be known that all of my coworkers past and present not only respect the Veterans, they also give them the excellent care they deserve. They are treated with dignity and respect.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Kylee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

My dad recently died at the VA and he was very well cared for. I think he got better care there than he did at the nursing home that costed us double. Dad always had good things to say about the staff. Only compliant he ever had was that they needed more aides there. No place is perfect and there is always room for improvement but that goes for everywhere.
Kylee and Glendah46 like this.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:59 PM
The Irish Fireball

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinurse View Post
My dad recently died at the VA and he was very well cared for. I think he got better care there than he did at the nursing home that costed us double. Dad always had good things to say about the staff. Only compliant he ever had was that they needed more aides there. No place is perfect and there is always room for improvement but that goes for everywhere.
So sorry about your Dad, Meli. I didn't know he passed. (((Meli)))

Kylee, BSN, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Kylee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2014, 08:07 PM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,199 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Meli

Sorry to hear about your dad but glad to hear he spent his last days in a caring place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nurseforever For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2014, 09:56 AM

My Mood:

Mel, so sorry to hear of your dad's passing. Thankfully he was well cared-for and in a solid place for the help he needed.

Again, SO sorry!
The Following User Says Thank You to MoreDilaudidPlease! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2014, 09:59 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylee View Post
I will not comment on this article. I will however, let it be known that all of my coworkers past and present not only respect the Veterans, they also give them the excellent care they deserve. They are treated with dignity and respect.
And that's the thing, isn't it? I CONSTANTLY hear and see SO many positive things, such great respect and care, and it's obvious! This story seems so impossible to me, what with knowing the attitude toward the patients is always so kind, compassionate.

I just CAN'T wrap my head around it.
Kylee likes this.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:50 PM
The Irish Fireball

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreDilaudidPlease! View Post
And that's the thing, isn't it? I CONSTANTLY hear and see SO many positive things, such great respect and care, and it's obvious! This story seems so impossible to me, what with knowing the attitude toward the patients is always so kind, compassionate.

I just CAN'T wrap my head around it.
It IS the thing... I can't tell you how many times family members have told me how much they appreciate the good care their family member gets and how caring the staff is. I've had patients hugging the staff goodbye when they are discharged because they're so grateful for the care they received. This just totally blows my mind. And I've been in the med room (as an observer. Can't pass them till I get my real license)... EVERYTHING has to be accounted for, wastes have to be witnessed and cosigned, insulins must be cosigned, I just can't see how a system can be diverted like that. Any discrepancies have to be resolved with a cycle count and audit with at least two licensed staff.

But maybe we do things differently.....

Kylee, BSN, RN