Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Nurse is brain dead after a spa procedure

Nurse still on life support, five days after Weston spa incident

12:51 PM EDT, September 30, 2009
WESTON

A 37-year-old nurse remains on life support today at the Cleveland Clinic, five days after a visit to a spa took a disastrous turn.

Broward Sheriff's Office homicide detectives are investigating Rohie Kah-Orukotan's visit to Weston Medspa, 1916 Weston Road. Lawyers for the family said she had been a frequent customer of the spa for such things as manicures and massages.

Attorney Michael Freedland said at a news conference near the hospital where she lay that Kah-Orukotan, of Miramar, went in for a "minimally invasive procedure" on Friday and is now brain dead.

He said her family doesn't know what the procedure was, or what went wrong.

Freedland said he has been requesting her medical records from the spa since Saturday, but his request has been denied.

The health department has not licensed the spa as a physician surgical office where full liposuction can legally be performed, state officials said. However, a doctor is allowed to perform very minor liposuction in his office using very small amounts of a local anesthetic like lidocaine, Smith said.

Freedman, the family's attorney, said only one physician had his medical license posted in Weston Medspa, Dr. Omar Brito Marin, who was originally from Bogota, Colombia, according to his state licensing records. He had been practicing in Miramar but more recently had listed the clinic as his main office.

Freedman said it's unknown whether Brito was even present at Kah-Orukotan's procedure. But state rules require that a physician must supervise staffers who performan many of the beauty treatments offered at the clinic, including Botox shots, hair removal and weight loss injections.

Freedland said Kah-Orukotan has bruises on her back, apparently from seizures, and other "damage to a lot of her body."

"She was supposed to be in and out in two hours," Freedland said. "It seemed to have been a lot more extensive. We don't know if it was liposuction or some other procedure. We don't know what she authorized and what she paid for, what happened or why it happened."

He suspects Kah-Orukotan, a nurse at Palmetto General Hospital in Hialeah, was there for a procedure having to do with weight or fat reduction because that's what she told the girlfriend who dropped her off.

Kah-Orukotan has three children, ages 7, 5, and 4.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...,3203465.story

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-30-2009, 05:19 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

OMG!! That's terrible. I feel for the three kids left behind.

I'll remove my own unwanted hair, I've earned each and every wrinkle, and I'll jettison the fat the old-fashioned way, once I can safely move around again.

Scary!
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Dahlia

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Amen, Mim. How awful. We are too vain in this society. Or I should say this culture puts too much emphasis on physical attributes. How sad this had to happen. Poor kids.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:27 PM

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,725 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Oh my her poor family.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:20 AM

Thanked 1,104 Times in 630 Posts
My Mood:

OMG! I can't imagine what her family is going through.
I have always been overweight but didn't really stress on it. I've finally reached an age where I don't give a shite what other people think of my looks. If I do anything to improve myself it's for ME not anyone else.

It's not what you are that holds you back, it's what you think you are not.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:29 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

Wow, how utterly tragic. Those poor kids and family. And it sounds like they don't have an answer for them yet. I'll stick to old fashioned weight loss, the kind you actually work for.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:32 PM

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,725 Posts
My Mood:

I'm not going to lie have though about having lap band and had even thought about asking my Dr. about it at my next physical. But after reading this, I don't think I will. The thought of possibly leaving my kids mother less for a procudure that was voluntary gives me the a somber feeling. Nope I have changed my mind if its not a necessary pocedure it's not happening.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:

Good for you, Tracy! The thought of that happening would be enough to take away a good part of my appetitie, anyway.