Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:31 AM

Thanked 1,104 Times in 630 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New Healthcare Bill, how do you feel?

So, they just passed a health care plan written by a committee whose chairman says he didn't understand it, passed by a Congress that exempts themselves from it, signed by a president who smokes, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese..................,................. and better yet it is to be financed by a country that's broke?

I am sooooo against this shit. If it's good enough for us, it should be good enough for them. Same for SS. I am all for helping those who CAN'T work, those who WON'T work or work and refuse the insurance (when they can afford it) I say-tough shit! We have people here who make $20 or more an hour, we work all kinds of overtime-they can afford insurance but choose not to take it. That's a load of bull! They can afford new cars, booze, cigarettes, etc. but can't pay $175 a month when they bring home $600 or more a week?
How do you all feel????

It's not what you are that holds you back, it's what you think you are not.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to jules64 For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 03-31-2010, 09:16 AM

Thanked 1,498 Times in 878 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

You forgot to mention closed-door meetings in a new era of "open and transparent debate." And the purchased votes. And an unfunded increase in Medicaid recipients (except for the states who got PAID to vote in favor of the bill. Didn't they notice that most states can't afford the Medicaid recipients that they already have. And the fact that more than 50% of the population was AGAINST this bill when it passed. And the Medicare cuts (although it IS nice to see that donut hole go away) The financial fallout has just begun; AT&T is taking a billion dollar charge off. ONE BILLION DOLLARS. And they are looking at more benefits cuts. Cat and John Deere have followed suit. Why? They are self funded, and the removal of the preexisting limitation (for self funded groups, the preex usually runs about 1 year. However, as per the HIPAA law, if you can prove continuous creditable coverage for 12 months (give or take, depending on the employer) prior to enrollment in this new plan, the pre-ex limitations is waived. For the individual plans, by requiring that everyone be accepted for coverage, they have stripped the I-Cos of their right and ability to manage a profitable business by tying their hands when it comes to managing risk.

And the federal mandate that all citizens purchase health insurance. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??? Someone PLEASE show me where it says in the Constitution that they can FORCE us to purchase products sold on the open market...

IMHO, this isn't health care reform; it's health INSURANCE reform. the I-Cos are an easy target if you ask me (and just a friendly reminder that I do work for an insurer,) so of course they are taking advantage of the obvious scapegoat. I wonder what they will do when this isn't the be-all, end-all solution. Perhaps then they will be forced to examine some of the other contributing factors: Rx prices, the fee for service payment model (which rewards quantity of care, not quality of care.) The biggest contributor to health care spend is...................................''

THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

What? How? Why? Take a look at us: as a whole, we are overweight and underexercised. The reality is that 8 of the 10 leading causes of death could be prevented with a healthy lifestyle.
Why bother with lifestyle modification when there is a new (and expensive) pill. We expect the million dollar workup, even for a hangnail, and complain loudly, doc shop, and perhaps even sue when it is not given. We demand antibiotics for every sniffle. We reject hospice enrollment in favor or high dollar, and often futile care.

Clearly, I am not a fan of this bill. You are right, Jules, many people receiving assistance, and the situation you describe is common (sadly.) For many of these people, it is not a true financial need, it is whacked out financial priorities. Yeah, it does burn my cookies when I see those people in a bigger house or a nicer car than mine.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 AM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I'm with you guys. Accepting assistance is a bitter pill to swallow, even when you need it, if you've been self-sufficient.

If anyone is going to change healthcare, it should be the people who have to struggle with it, not rich, over-fed, complacent, cheating know-it-alls. But, when, in recent history, has it ever been anything else?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2010, 01:48 PM

My Mood:

Apologies to all for the horrendous punctuation. I plead sickness, which also explains why I am not going back to fix it.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM

My Mood:

It didn't bother me, and I'm a charter member of the grammar & punctuation police.

Feel better.

Last edited by Poliopioneer; 03-31-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I agree with you guys. I think we're all going to end up in a mess except those who get everything handed to them for free because they're too lazy to work or they're not American citizens atdocument

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2010, 03:11 PM

My Mood:

I'm glad I've had years of experience in making do. I feel sorry for those who haven't.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Dahlia

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I just told my kids at supper last night that I was probably the only person in my state who voted for Obama (I think my hubby did, too - hehe) and most likely the only one here who is for the bill. I am an idealist and I also feel we have to start somewhere. I have been fortunate and have always had health insurance. Heck, there were times I was covered by two policies.

But here lately, I have close friends who are hard-working professionals who have lost their jobs. There's no way they can afford the COBRA insurance, so they have done w/o or have racked up huge hospital bills.

There are always people who will need and always those who will mooch. I just feel in this country, no one should be w/o basic health care -- period. Hell, jail inmates get better health care than some of my friends.

Just my opinion. I don't like to argue, so I won't. But thanks for letting me express my feelings.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2010, 08:24 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaRN View Post
Hell, jail inmates get better health care than some of my friends.
Prison inmates are unique in that they are the ONLY population in the US with Constitutionally guaranteed health care. The Supreme Court has ruled that deprivation of basic health care services constitutes cruel & unusual punishment, which would be a violation of the 8th Amendment. While the prison health system does cover the basics, I won't be committing any crimes to access their services anytime soon.