Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 08:42 AM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Misinformation Prevents Some Health Care Workers From Getting Flu Shots

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...health/coldflu

Operating room nurse Pauline Taylor knows her refusal to get a flu shot is based on faulty logic.
But ever since she got sick after getting a shot a few years ago, she's sworn off the vaccine.
"I rarely get sick. The only thing I could narrow it down to is that I had gotten this shot," said Taylor, who works at University Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City. "I know that it's not a live virus. It just seemed pretty coincidental."
Such stories frustrate Dr. William Schaffner.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-14-2008, 08:44 AM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:

The article states that 60% of healthcare workers do not get the shot.....

That is stunning....

I always get mine because I otherwise get sick and stay sick for a long time....
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-14-2008, 10:23 AM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

That happened to me one year, as well as several of my coworkers. Never took the flu shot again until I got pregnant and my doc said I had to.
Reply With Quote Go to top
Old 11-14-2008, 11:27 AM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I had the shot, have built up my antibodies by now, and I caught a crappy cold. I wonder how many people who claim the flu shot made them sick had a bad cold and jumped to the wrong conclusion? So many people call everything "the flu" when it isn't even close.

Even so, people who work in health care should get vaccinated, unless they have valid medical reasons not to. Never mind how sick I could get; I want to do whatever I can to try to prevent spreading flu around. It hits you like an 18-wheeler, and it's the last thing anyone needs who's ill with something else.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:04 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,401 Posts

"I wonder how many people who claim the flu shot made them sick had a bad cold and jumped to the wrong conclusion? So many people call everything "the flu" when it isn't even close. "

Tons! Ansd if you have already got the virus and you get your shot you will get sick just like you would have anyway. I always get mine. The real flu makes you wish you had never been born.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Haunted

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

My wonderful Doc back in TN gave me about 3 scrips for Tamiflu . If I think I'm getting the flu, this will knock it out. If I already have the flu, this will reduce the severity. I gave one to Mr. Haunted as well.

I'll give it a try. I usually get my flu shot every year and I usually get sick with a virus also. Who can say it wouldn't be much worse if I didn't get the shot?
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: