Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Lack of Care Death at Philadelphia VA Hospital

The staff in a surgical unit at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Philadelphia was so inattentive that a patient who died on a toilet was not even discovered until his body had turned cold, according to an inspection report obtained by the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

The report from the VA's Medical Inspector, obtained under the federal Freedom of Information Act, recounts the complaints from a surgical resident who told inspectors of the dead patient and another case in which a patient at the hospital was allowed to sit in a bed of urine.
The report, dated Dec. 12, 2007, cites the poor care in the thoracic- surgery unit as the reason that doctors routinely shifted major chest-surgery cases to the nearby Penn Presbyterian Medical Center.
"The general-surgery resident physician voiced 'no confidence' in the care provided on the ward and went so far as to say that the surgical ward was 'not a nursing unit,' care was nonexistent," the 10-page report states.

The Philadelphia center is awaiting a decision by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission on penalties stemming from the mistreatment of prostate-cancer patients who were given incorrect and misplaced doses of radioactive seeds.

The inspectors found that problems in the unit, which includes 32 post-operative beds and an intensive-care unit, contributed to a backlog in cases with many surgeries' being delayed or canceled.

Employees interviewed by the inspection team complained of staff shortages and the lack of support services such as respiratory therapy.
The report noted that a nursing-staff member said, "'The staff was tired, overworked and understaffed. "

The surgical resident who complained about the dead patient also cited cases of doctors' not being informed that their patients had been admitted and thus were getting no food or care as a result.

Nine of 10 patients interviewed voiced concerns about a "non-caring, rude and lazy staff" and complained of "having to lie in urine and stool for hours before being cleaned up."

Other issues raised in the report include a lack of electronic or telemetry equipment to monitor patient conditions and excessive staff absenteeism. Warman said that a new director had been hired, staff increased and "a new, full-time thoracic surgeon has been hired to provide better continuity of care. "

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/loca...Phila__VA.html

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 02-13-2010, 06:40 PM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

What a shoddy way to care for our nation's most deserving....
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 02-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HhRNhhr View Post
What a shoddy way to care for our nation's most deserving....
Yes, it broke my heart just reading about it. How disgraceful.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 02-13-2010, 07:36 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

OMG! How horrible. 30a6xjbThese are our nations heros. Not to mention............ok I'll save that soap box for later. That's a load of gtssmiley6. Made me tear up.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:43 PM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I remember years and years ago, there was a documentary about the poor care in VA hospitals. I didn't see it but my dad did, and I'm glad I didn't because it would have pissed me off. One man was a quad, war-wounded. Someone brought in his tray and left it on the bedside stand. The camera rolled and rolled and the tray just sat there. The cameraman finally took pity and fed him. After that documentary aired there was a huge reform and the care in VA hospitals improved greatly. Too bad this facility didn't take part in the reform.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Maybe this article/investigation will be a good thing and bring about the needed changes. Prayers for our nation's heros in that facility.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:25 PM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

This treatment sounds worse that what may happen in a 3rd world country. How dispicable to treat our heroes this way. If it weren't for them we may not be living the life we choose to enjoy.
I pray for all our Vets that they get the best of care they so richly deserve. Bless all of their hearts. th_hug-2
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2010, 01:03 AM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:

Well, guys and dolls, I can tell you that this would NOT happen at my hospital. Everyone there is very caring and attentive to our Veterans.

One patient's wife told me today "You spoil him too much." I told her there is no way in the world I can spoil someone too much. She likes it when I take care of him and has told the unit manager that several times.

Course, when she's there visiting, I take care of her too... bring her coff ee, make sure she's comfy, has a snack, etc.

It really breaks my heart when I see stuff like this because it gives all of us a bad name... when most of us are busting our butts to make sure they get the care they deserve.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kylee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2010, 05:12 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylee View Post
Well, guys and dolls, I can tell you that this would NOT happen at my hospital. Everyone there is very caring and attentive to our Veterans.

One patient's wife told me today "You spoil him too much." I told her there is no way in the world I can spoil someone too much. She likes it when I take care of him and has told the unit manager that several times.

Course, when she's there visiting, I take care of her too... bring her coff ee, make sure she's comfy, has a snack, etc.

It really breaks my heart when I see stuff like this because it gives all of us a bad name... when most of us are busting our butts to make sure they get the care they deserve.
Kylee I do not doubt you only give the best care to your patients. Just with what you tell us about your day shows you are always at their side working hard to provide the love and care they deserve.
You are very attentive to all their needs and go above and beyond in providing all that they need. I bet you spoil a lot of them which is so cute.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN