Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default I got a reply from Showtime

Did they even read my e-mail? Gees.

Dear Joanna,
Thank you for contacting us about the new Showtime Original Series "Nurse Jackie". Great care was given to accurately and honestly portray the moral dilemmas and challenges that face these often unsung heroes of the emergency room ? and the impact on their lives and the lives of others. Showtime believes that the power of Ms. Falco?s performance will go a long way towards enriching the respect and recognition that nurses so richly deserve.
Please know that we take viewer comments very seriously, and have passed your email on to the appropriate parties within our organization. Thank you again for writing, and thanks for your interest in Showtime.
Sincerely,
Showtime Customer Service

Here's my e-mail:

Dear Showtime,

As a Registered Nurse I am severely disappointed in your new show "Nurse Jackie". I had hoped that finally the country would get to see an accurate portrayal of a nurses day at work.

Nurse Jackie starts her shift lying on the floor at work snorting crushed percocets. During the course of her day she uses the F bomb frequently. Her breasts are groped by not one patient but 3 different patients. She goes to lunch with a doctor at a nice sit down restaurant, has sex in the pharmacy with the pharmacist who offers her pain pills, she steals a wad of money from an ER patient and gives it to a homeless woman, she has a patient who has had an ear cut off, the doctor is getting set up to sew it back on, Nurse Jackie flushes it down the toilet because the patient had assulted a woman.

No matter how funny, how dramatic or how well written ?Nurse Jackie? is, you are doing nothing to advance or promote the nursing profession. But then I guess the goal is ratings and nothing defines a ?hit? like sex and drugs.

I sincerely hope that if you find yourself or a loved one in an ER that your nurse will be nothing like Nurse Jackie. You are doing the professional nurse being it LPN or RN a great disservice.

Joanna, RN

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-03-2009, 07:49 AM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Obviously they did not read your e-mail. The shame is you were so right with all they care about is their ratings and nothing brings in ratings like sex and drugs. shtnur

Pass on their e-mail so more of us can write them to voice our disgust.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-03-2009, 03:01 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:

Amen - let me know too I will email them saying I did not want to watch because it would get me too fired up!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:10 PM

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,347 Posts
My Mood:

I don't have Showtime, but I watched online.

Yeh---really realistic! *snark* th_smily

Sit down lunches, drug use, affairs, small kids quietly waiting at home while Daddy cooks dinner, sex in the pharmacy in exchange for Oxycontin....

The only "real" things were dumb docs and bad backs!

There is a God-Shaped hole in every human being that only He can fill.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:12 PM

My Mood:

Your letter to showtime was well written and it is easy to see that they are more interested in money and ratings than nurses.

I loved your line about hoping their family never got a nurse like Jackie. I can't watch this because I would be so pissed.

Hopefully it will be a short lived show.

Thanks for going to bat for all of us. I will send them an e-mail too as soon as I have a day off.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Here's where you write to Showtime to complain about the new show "Nurse Jackie". I wonder if you'll get the same canned reply?

This is their e-mail address showtime@custhelp.com

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 PM

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,725 Posts
My Mood:

That show is terrible..... I just watched in on u-tube.....please....th_smily

Pictures???? are you serious.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 AM

My Mood:

I just sent off an e-mail to them. Thanks for the address. Will share what ever response I get.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

We all know nurses who are/or who have taken drugs, I'm sure there's hanky panky going on in the hospital sometimes, I'm sure a nurse has stolen money from a patient somewhere, now I've not personally known a nurse to flush a body part down a toilet out of spite nor left a 12 hours shift to go to a nice sit down lunch with a doc. We're lucky to be able to get to the cafeteria to grab something to eat at the station. To freaking wrap all of these unprofessional qualities up in one character and then portray her as a typical nurse and to say they've done their homework to show us in a good light......bulli I say Showtime exec come walk 10 shifts with me in my nursing shoes and see how it really is. Idiots!

I'll be interested to see if you get the same reponse. I may just have to write to Oprah. th_smily

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2009, 04:07 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

Letter written. Will update.