Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 01:35 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Home Health Nurse Killed on the Job

Nurse Shot & Killed on the Job in Detroit

Friday, 29 Jan 2010, WJBK | myFOX Detroit

An in-home nurse, beloved wife and mother is gunned down on the job. FOX 2 spoke with the woman's husband and mother about the worked she loved as the search continues for her killer.

On January 21, Carrie was visiting one of her patients at his home on Chene on Detroit's east side. She'd always felt safe there. Nothing bad ever happened, but this time things were different. Someone entered the home and opened fire, shooting and killing both Carrie and the 68-year-old man for whom she was caring. Then the suspect set the house on fire seemingly to cover up his crime. Carrie's car was stolen from the scene. Family members tell us it was found the next day.
"Her jewelry wasn't stolen. Her phone wasn't stolen. Car was left with the keys in it. Her purse was in the car," said Johnson. "Somebody out there knows something. Somebody's knows who did this. Whoever did this needs to face the music and be brought to justice."
No one deserves this. Carrie was a wife, a mother, and a daughter. She meant so much to so many people and now she's gone.
"I don't have revenge in me. Nothing's going to bring her back, but for some reason God has allowed this. I have lots of faith and we'll get through it," Wheeler said.
How could anyone do something so horrible, so vicious, and so violent without any regard for the innocent grieving victims you'll leave behind.

"She knows that I'll do (my) best to raise our children," Johnson said. "I love her from the bottom of my heart."
A Royal Oak home will never be the same. This family is lost without Carrie. She has a five-year-old daughter and nine-year-old twin stepsons who are all trying to understand this.
Carrie's husband is an engineer, but he was recently laid off. They have no medical or life insurance. If you would like to do something to help them, contact the Royal Oak Missionary Church. The information is listed below:
Royal Oak Missionary Church
411 East Eleven Mile Road
Royal Oak, MI 48067
(248) 541-6606
romc@wowway.com
If you know who killed Carrie and the elderly man for whom she was caring, please call police.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...job-in-detroit

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-31-2010, 03:02 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

That is so scary and horrible! Poor lady and family!
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-31-2010, 06:48 PM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

This made me feel sick to the pit of my stomach.
Prayers for the family that lost their loved ones and I pray that the murderer is brought to justice.
I just don't understand why these things happen.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Old 02-03-2010, 01:37 PM

Thanked 1,104 Times in 630 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

OMG! Prayers for her family, friends and co-workers. I hope they find some answers soon.

It's not what you are that holds you back, it's what you think you are not.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:54 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
This made me feel sick to the pit of my stomach.
Prayers for the family that lost their loved ones and I pray that the murderer is brought to justice.
I just don't understand why these things happen.
These things happen because these psychos realize that they can get away with it, for the most part, or they'll just end up on the taxpayers' dime getting food, shelter, and medical care. Don't even get me started on our slap-on-the-wrist justice system.