Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 PM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 960 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Default Hitting Hospital Nurse Results in Charges

An off-duty police officer working security at Deaconess Hospital on Sunday had to use a stun gun to subdue an unruly patient who hit a nurse and dodged the officer.
Christopher D. Young, of Fairfield, Ill., will face charges of battering a health care worker and resisting law enforcement once released from the hospital, according to an Evansville Police Department affidavit. According to that report, an ambulance brought Young from Wayne County, Ill., and the ambulance crew called ahead to alert the hospital that they were reportedly bringing in "a combative patient." He was identified as Christopher D. Young. No further information about Young was available.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...artner=popular

Karen, RN,

Failure is NOT an option!! Gene Kranz during the Apollo 13 crisis.

When God leads you to it, He WILL lead you through it!
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-13-2010, 06:03 AM

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,347 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have NEVER understood why it was ever OK to use nurses as punching bags, or even targets of verbal abuse. Unless a patient is psychotic or drugged, they need to be charged in these assaults.

When I was a new grad, a brilliant but abusive, arrrogant surgeon lost his OR rights and paid a huge settlement for throwing a tray of instruments at a nurse he didn't think was moving quickly enough during a procedure. It really cut down on MD's acting like asses...

There is a God-Shaped hole in every human being that only He can fill.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRidge For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 AM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,401 Posts

As it should be!
Old 01-13-2010, 11:03 AM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Amen!
Old 01-13-2010, 01:35 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:

I got punched in the nose by one of my favorite patients. My fault as I didn't see it coming. The only bad thing was he got me right where I got beaned with a baseball... fortunately, no break this time around.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 01-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Dahlia

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Ouch, Kyle!
Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaRN View Post
Ouch, Kyle!

DNephew/Godson and I were playing catch at my birthday party. Sun got in my eyes, and I missed the ball. It came down on my nose and broke it...

Fast forward 2 years later... Pt. beans me with his fist when I was trying to calm him down when doing care. Patient resists care when there 2 or more people trying to give care. I think he gets scared, and starts throwing punches and kicking. If I do care with him one on one, he's fine... but then, I ask him "Can I do this_________?" Most of the time he says "Ok" in this cute little voice. I couldn't be mad at him for socking me.. it was my fault... I never saw the punch coming. When I yelled Ouch, he looked at me with this really cute look, and said "I'm sorry"...

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 01-13-2010, 03:59 PM

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,725 Posts
My Mood:

I witnessed pleanty of episodes where nurses and Dr's got plummeted by pt's when I worked ER. One nurse ended up on disability for a long period of time. No charges ever came out of the assaults that I know of, atleast the police where never called at the time of the incident.
I believe that pt's should be charged the same as if they assaulted John Doe on the street.
The Following User Says Thank You to momx3lvn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2010, 06:00 PM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

I hope this creep is charged to the full letter of the law.
No it is never ok to hit anyone but especially some one in the field of health who are only trying to help them.
Makes me so angry.

I remember years ago we had a surgeon who was a prick.
He verbally abused a nurse and called her a slut, he was barred from the hospital for 6 months.
We are all professional people working together for the common good of our patients EVEN so it does not give the right for people to lash out either physically or verabally.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post: