Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default HawthoRNe

Maybe a realistic nursing show is coming? Here's a sneak peek: http://www.tnt.tv/dramavision/?cid=47834

This summer, Jada Pinkett Smith executive-produces and stars in HAORNE, a character-driven drama series about a nurse who is a true everyday hero. HAORNE premieres Tuesday, June 16, at 9 p.m. (ET/PT).

Pinkett Smith plays Christina Hawthorne, a compassionate and headstrong Chief Nursing Officer heading up a group of dedicated nurses at Richmond Trinity Hospital who spend long days and nights on the hospital’s front lines. Hawthorne is the kind of nurse you want on your side when you or someone you love is in the hospital. She is the kind of nurse who fights for her patients and doesn’t let them slip through the cracks. When necessary, she takes on doctors and administrators who are overworked, distracted or just unable to see the human being behind the hospital chart.

Whether showing humanity to a homeless woman, trying to talk a suicidal cancer patient off a ledge or exposing a doctor’s near-fatal error, Hawthorne will do everything in her power to help her patients. When a patient’s care is at risk, she doesn’t hesitate to violate protocol, defend her staff or stand up to administrators who seem to have forgotten a hospital’s true purpose.

But the long days at the hospital and Hawthorne’s intense focus on helping others take a toll on her personal life. Christina is recently widowed – her husband died one year ago after a battle with cancer, leaving her to raise a smart, rebellious teen-age daughter on her own. Hawthorne is still coming to terms with losing her husband, finding a way to balance her career with her equally important role as a single parent, and finding the time to take care of someone who always seems to fall through the cracks – herself.

Joining Pinkett Smith in HAORNE is Michael Vartan (Alias) as Dr. Tom Wakefield, the oncologist who treated Christina’s husband and serves as Chief of Surgery for the hospital. The cast also includes Suleka Mathew (Men in Trees) as Bobbie Jackson, a fellow nurse and one of Hawthorne’s best friends; David Julian Hirsh (Lovebites) as Ray Stein, a nurse struggling with being accepted in a female-dominated profession; Christina Moore (90210) as Candy Sullivan, a nurse with a unique sense of duty; and Hannah Hodson (TNT’s The Ron Clark Story) as Camille, Hawthorne’s daughter. In addition, special guest star Joanna Cassidy (Six Feet Under) portrays Amanda, Hawthorne’s mother-in-law, who also happens to be a member of the hospital board.

I'm going to go watch it now...

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 05-25-2009, 06:42 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ... a nurse struggling with being accepted in a female dominated profession

I saw a preview clip where a male patient laughs when he is told the guy he thought was an MD is actually a male nurse. I saw this clip in movie theater waiting for the new Star Trek movie to start. A guy sitting near me, with his wife and kids, kind of laughed when the male patient laughed. I almost turned to him to asked where is the humor but decided to ignore him. My wife & daughter were soon to join me from the concession stand.

Anyway, I'm curious how the writers will portray this Ray Stein character.

th_Thinking

Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 05-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Hi Cary it's good to see you!

I haven't watched that preview yet. I'm was so hoping it would be decent. Guess not. Did you see the Nurse Jackie preview (the link is on JUN) it sucks big time! Talk about tearing down the nursing profession. Damm!

Hope Susan is doing well and how is your son and that precious new baby?

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 06-13-2009, 09:12 PM

My Mood:

I, too, saw a preview last month. Even if I had not seen the preview, I would have guessed Jada would not have done any "ole" show. It seems like she did her homework about nurses, too.

For now, I am hopeful this show depicits closely to the real deal as possible; I will be watching Tuesday night.

"Yesterday's failures are today's seeds
that must be diligently planted to be
able to abundantly harvest
tomorrow's successes."
- Author Unknown

Last edited by RN-AL; 06-13-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Can not spell...arrrghhhh! Edited roo to too.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:39 PM

My Mood:

I am watching the show right now and although I turned it on a half hour into the show it seems to be at least somewhat realistic. I liked how jada stood up for her nurses. It might actually be a good show.

Lisa

omg a nurse just got stabbed in her prostetic leg it was kinda humorous how it was played out.

Last edited by frez; 06-16-2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: misspell turned it said tunred not sure what that meant lol
Old 06-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

I enjoyed watching the new show Hawthorne. The nurses seem realistic and are ethical. I don't think Smith's role as a CNO is realistic but more that of a nurse manager of a floor. But it seems to be a very good show.

It shows us nurses in a good light th_queendance

But now we all know that 6 units of regular insulin is not going to send a patient into a cardiac arrest with a glucose of 225.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 PM

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,725 Posts
My Mood:

I just found it last 10 mins. I will have to watch more, but right now I can say it is 100% better than the other show.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchgirlRN View Post
I enjoyed watching the new show Hawthorne. The nurses seem realistic and are ethical. I don't think Smith's role as a CNO is realistic but more that of a nurse manager of a floor. But it seems to be a very good show.

It shows us nurses in a good light th_queendance

But now we all know that 6 units of regular insulin is not going to send a patient into a cardiac arrest with a glucose of 225.
Yeah but we cant expect everything to be correct but at least Jada isnt bopping a DR in the linen closet. I still think it shows promise.

Lisa:)

Old 06-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frez View Post
Yeah but we cant expect everything to be correct but at least Jada isnt bopping a DR in the linen closet. I still think it shows promise.

Lisa:)
It definately shows alot of promise and more! Like I said this shows portrays us as hard working ethical people. th_queendance

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 06-17-2009, 06:43 AM

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,347 Posts
My Mood:

I have this show TiVo'd to watch this evening...with this damned cellulitis I am sleeping more than usual (and I am an Olympic Caliber sleeper as it is!)

It has to be better than Jackie...couldn't be WoRSE!! Who thinks that a drug-addicted, sex-crazed nurse is normal????

th_smily

There is a God-Shaped hole in every human being that only He can fill.