Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 08:54 AM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 960 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Default Grieving now a mental disorder??

I could be dx'd with a MAJOR mental disorder!! If this passes, I WILL NOT get grief counseling!! PERIOD!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/op...html?th&emc=th

Karen, RN,

Failure is NOT an option!! Gene Kranz during the Apollo 13 crisis.

When God leads you to it, He WILL lead you through it!
Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwagner_51 For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 08-15-2010, 09:10 AM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I've said it before, and I'll be more than happy to say it again: YOU CANNOT CURE, ELIMINATE, OR OTHERWISE "FIX" GRIEF BY TURNING PEOPLE INTO CHEMICALLY-INDUCED ZOMBIES. (Boy, that felt good to get that out of my system - again.)

Karen, you have the right idea. You are a very strong woman with support form other family members. Allow yourself to grieve; do not attempt to hide or stifle it behind a "brave face". It takes time, but it takes a hell of a lot less time if you let yourself work through it.

Want to hear a sad commentary: I've done more grieving over cats I've had to have put down that I did over my own parents. Guess I got more affection and unconditional love from the cats.

Stick to your guns, and, if you must talk it out with somebody, do so with a trusted friend.

((((((Karen))))))
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 08-15-2010, 09:18 AM

My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Job security for these people lol.

~Noryn, RN
Old 08-15-2010, 09:46 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

For the few bereaved who are severely impaired or at risk of suicide, doctors can already apply the diagnosis of major depression. But don?t change the rules for everyone else. Let us experience the grief we need to feel without being called sick.

Amen to that last statement.
Few people do develop a manic depression after a loss. Does not mean anyone can diagnose this early at all.
There is no time line on grieving and we are all different (Thank God) Everyone has the right to do their own walk with out medication but I pray when some one cannot dig themselves out of their grief/ depression then some one is there for them.
Grief is a personal walk for us all.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I am astonded, absolutely flabbergasted. Surely something so ignorant would never pass? Now that is a load of crap.

I think Mim summed it up beautifully, Thanks Mim.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 11:51 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliopioneer View Post
I've said it before, and I'll be more than happy to say it again: YOU CANNOT CURE, ELIMINATE, OR OTHERWISE "FIX" GRIEF BY TURNING PEOPLE INTO CHEMICALLY-INDUCED ZOMBIES. (Boy, that felt good to get that out of my system - again.)

Karen, you have the right idea. You are a very strong woman with support form other family members. Allow yourself to grieve; do not attempt to hide or stifle it behind a "brave face". It takes time, but it takes a hell of a lot less time if you let yourself work through it.

Want to hear a sad commentary: I've done more grieving over cats I've had to have put down that I did over my own parents. Guess I got more affection and unconditional love from the cats.

Stick to your guns, and, if you must talk it out with somebody, do so with a trusted friend.

((((((Karen))))))

I may not know what exactly is going on here, but I can say that I agree with Karen. You cannot fix grief with meds.

Two years ago this November I lost my aunt who I was very close to. cryhjgvShe died of cancer. It was such a shock to my system to lose her (the reason it was such a shock to lose her was because she had cancer the year before, had surgery to have it removed and had gone into remission. We were all so relieved and excited. Then about 6 months after she went into remission she went in for a check up to learn that the cancer had not gone into remission as the Drs previously thought, it has moved into a different system. It was in her Lymphatic System. They gave her 6 months to live and three weeks later she was gone) that I could not even process it at the time. I went to the funeral and I cried like everyone else, but I was able to push the thoughts out of my mind and go on with my life. My entire family thought I was heartless because I did not show any outward signs of grieving. I was not grieving. I had a daughter to raise and did not have time to deal with my loss. Then last year in November (yeah we hate November in my family) my fiance's mother died. I did not know her very well, but it was still sad, but my reaction to her death was so strong that I got concerned. I could not stop crying. I was grieving so much and my heart felt like it was in a hundred different pieces. It made no sense to me because as I said I did not even know her that well. I felt guilty for being such an emotional mess when my fiance needed my strength and I did not have any to give him. He ended up comforting me. Which made me feel even worse, here he had lost his mother and he was comforting me. I felt terrible, and it just kept getting worse. Finally I had enough and I went to talk to a friend of mine that is a psychologist for kids. (now you guys do not know me, so you do not know that things have to be serious for me to willingly seek out the help from a psychologist. I have had so really bad experiences in the past with them and tend to think they are all whack. No offense if there are any on this site. As I said my friend is one, but the majority are whack.)

After talking to her for a few hours she pointed out to me that my over enthusiastic grief over losing my fiance's mother was probably the grief I had buried after losing my aunt, and it took losing someone else to bring it to the surface. Because my brain could not handle the thought of my aunt not being around, it buried the pain to deal with later. When my fiance' lost his mother, my brain saw that as a safe outlet for the pain. I thought she was crazy at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. I soon learned that it was easier to talk and think about my aunt after I had dealt with the buried emotions and grief. Now I love to talk about her and remember all of the wonderful times we shared together. My family thought I was whack for grieving for her a year after her death, when most of them were completing their grieving and I was just starting mine, but it all worked out for the best in the end.

I know I went off on a little side road, but I said all of that to say this, that if when I was going through all the grief of losing her (even though it was a year later) a doctor would have gave me medicine instead of talking to me and explaining what could have been the problem, there is no way I would have ever gotten over it.

People all grieve differently and in different degrees and at different times. It is based on what your own personal psyche can handle. No one should tell you that you need to move on with it, get past it, or try to medicate you when you are grieving. There is not a sole on this planet that has not had to deal with grief at one time or another. If we all were medicated, what kind of world would we live in?

Like I said, this may be way off topic, but I was just going by what I have read in the post above. Don't let over-priced doctors tell you how and when to grieve. Don't let them medicate you for something that everyone does. I mean really if you go by the exact definition of clinically crazy we all are clinically crazy. If you go by the definition alone then we all should have our own padded cells with lots of good medications. But they cannot generalize when dealing with the psyche.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frogger32091 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 02:16 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:

Grief takes time, introspection and space. Gosh, that's horrible. Can you imagine how many people would be diagnosed with this if this got into the DSM-V?? My gosh, I could have been when I got divorced! And think about people who are unemployed, have lost jobs, divorced, lost family members!
The Following User Says Thank You to Diary For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Dahlia

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noryn View Post
Job security for these people lol.

Watch it. I will soon be one of "these people".

For the few bereaved who are severely impaired or at risk of suicide, doctors can already apply the diagnosis of major depression. But don?t change the rules for everyone else.

ITA, Sabby.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:13 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchgirlRN View Post
I am astonded, absolutely flabbergasted. Surely something so ignorant would never pass? Now that is a load of crap.

I think Mim summed it up beautifully, Thanks Mim.

Unfortunately if it is ignorant and backed by money and a politician, it would most likely pass. But I agree with what everyone else here has already said.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Banned

My Mood:

Jeez, medicine become more and more about money than about people.

If grief is a mental disorder then LOVE is one also and HATE for sure....let's give them some meds and sed them to MD.

OMG....

We add more and more NORMAL human reactions on mental Dx.

They are approved and insurance companies will took money for people for it, hospitals, MDs and all the healthcare circle will make and run money because of it, we will have jobs, keep jobs and have early secure retiremnt for it, lol....

We will have more people who need to learn how to play the new rules, avoid them, play with them obtain a maximum from them....may be the poor patient need just a ear to listean to him and a soul to hug him for a while....

WHAT A CRAP, become this world!

How to not become confused with these rules... what we will TEACH our chids about REAL TRUTH vs FALSE TRUTH....

How me like a RN i will treat a grief patient givinnig to her/him pills if even I don't belive in that...telling her...go out side, talk with friends, let the time go, will be ok....dump the pills in toilet and flush it....jeez.... people become day bu day kuku because of money....

Now with "the grief" will be a HUGE MONEY MAKER problem, easy grief, medium grieg, sever grief, medicated and with counseling, with or without hospitalization, and POSThospitalisation.... fallowup home...is a SYSTEMIC MESS UP!

Dear Lord keep my mind straight to see truth from fake, lol

Last edited by zuzi; 08-20-2010 at 02:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to zuzi For This Useful Post: