Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 07:45 AM

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Extradition from the US of Dr Patel

Dr Patel was a surgeon at a hospital in Queensland, who has been implicated in a number of 'mistakes' leading to death. A nurse was involved in being the whistle blower.

http://www.mariejford.com/images/Aus...0for%20Job.pdf

The reason why I mentioned this, is because the man is being extradited from Portland, Oregon, today.

Apparently he was successfully sued by a patient in the US as well

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...119727271.html

Interested to hear your thoughts.

My mummy, and my two gorgeous grandnieces, Sienna and Lily xxx
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

The only doctors I know of who screw up and flee the country are those from India. Seems everyone in India, from the upper class, ends up being a doctor or they are shamed by their family. I wonder how easy it is to get a doctors degree in India?

I've had several professional and personal issues with Indian educated physicians. No thank you...I'll admit my prejudice :th_kickme:

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 AM

My Mood:

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!

His crimes occured at a hospital near me, I am so glad that those poor patients will finally have their day in court and he will be made to face the music :th_WooHooBravo:
________
Nexium Death

Last edited by AussieRN; 09-06-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:58 AM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:

I read about his mistakes before and it's about time he faced the consequences of his actions.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:12 AM

My Mood:

The latest...
Dr Patel has been transferred to a maximum security prison in I think, Los Angeles? Looks like a huge block of concrete!

Anyway, now we are waiting on Condaleeza Rice to sign the appropriate paperwork before a certain date, or apparently the man can walk free!

Queensland police officers arrived in the US today...

Old 07-17-2008, 07:46 AM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Y'know, I am a firm believer in everyone deserving a fair trial, but I'm really tired of extradition holding things up. There's a local doc from here who was in court, on trial for molestation of his stepdaughter, and he got away from the courthouse and was caught in Uraguay.......................two freakin' years ago!!!!! It took over a year to get him back here to serve out his sentence.

I agree with Dutchie. I've met some Indian docs who were awesome, including my dad's nephro, but I also met more that I personally would not see as a pt.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:56 AM

My Mood:

We have some great Indian docs that I have seen.
BUT...as for Mr Patel (he's a surgeon, so they would call him that here)...
Apparently they are still finding more cases against him.

I just hope the judge doesn't turn around and say that the jury pool will be biased against him due to media coverage, so the case would have to be dismissed - remember that paedophile case I mentioned? Nahhh, don't think that will happen.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:55 AM

My Mood:

Patel is on the plane on his way back to Australia

I'll admit I was starting to get woried that the extradition paperwork would'nt be signed by the American authorities and he would be allowed to go free :th_fighting:
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited by AussieRN; 09-06-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:27 AM
HhRNhhr

One thing about the US.....if there is pretty good evidence warranting extradition we will not fight it. We've been in too many extradition fights with other countries trying to get criminals back here to stand trial.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Haunted

What a creep. I wonder if he is the same guy that bought West Anaheim Medical Center and then fired everyone, hired only Indian and Pakistani nurses and docs and then refused to take Medi and indigent patients?