Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 08:34 AM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation The Current State of Nursing Education

I found this article very interesting. It is sad that so many people are trying to go into Nursing just for job security. I mean, I know that finding a stable job is important, but nursing and teacher are two positions that should be taken seriously, and only those individuals that are really interested in the field should apply.

It also talks about the fact that soon there will be an increase demand for nurse practitioners. Now there is a job that really should not be entered into unless you really enjoy providing excellent patient care.

Please check the article out. I found it very interesting so I thought I would share.

http://www.nursezone.com/Nursing-New...and_35044.aspx

"Yet nursing education programs are having a hard time meeting the demand. AACN found that almost 55,000 qualified applications were turned away from baccalaureate and graduate nursing schools last year, which represents the highest volume of students turned away within the last 10 years. ?There are waiting lists everywhere,? said Leila McKinney, DNP, ARNP, NP-C, RN, dean of nursing at Rasmussen College in Maitland, Fla."

Frogger RN :) LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-04-2010, 08:46 AM

Thanked 1,498 Times in 878 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger32091 View Post
It is sad that so many people are trying to go into Nursing just for job security. I mean, I know that finding a stable job is important, but nursing and teacher are two positions that should be taken seriously, and only those individuals that are really interested in the field should apply.
I see no reason that a desire to provide excellent patient care and a desire for a stable career have to be mutually exclusive. I didn't always want to be a nurse, and I did consider job availability, career flexibility, and the need to relocate (vs the option) when changing my major (from Music Ed) to nursing. Honestly, a clear cut desire to provide excellent pt care didn't factor into it; but then again, I'm the type of person who puts my best effort into most things I attempt. I think it's the "other types" you're concerned about?
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-04-2010, 09:00 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dria View Post
I see no reason that a desire to provide excellent patient care and a desire for a stable career have to be mutually exclusive. I didn't always want to be a nurse, and I did consider job availability, career flexibility, and the need to relocate (vs the option) when changing my major (from Music Ed) to nursing. Honestly, a clear cut desire to provide excellent pt care didn't factor into it; but then again, I'm the type of person who puts my best effort into most things I attempt. I think it's the "other types" you're concerned about?
Yes it is the other types. I meant nothing disrespectful to anyone by this post. My own father did not become a nurse because of a desire to help others. However, there is a BIG difference in wanting to go into nursing for the reasons that you mentioned and being willing to provided excellent care, and going into nursing just to get a pay check. I am sure all of you work with those kinds of nurses. I have already ran across a few of them at my school. They have no idea what it takes to do the job of a nurse. They assume that it is just put in their hours and go home doing the least amount of work as possible. Do you know that one of the students at my school actually thought RNs sit at a nursing station all day long only seeing patients when it is time to pass out meds, and leave all the other work to the LPN, CNA, and PCC, I almost laughed when she told me this, then I saw that she was serious. She honestly believed that, that was going to be her job description. Wow, what a wake up call she has coming. LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to frogger32091 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2010, 09:13 AM

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,690 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dria View Post
I could have written this myself word for word--most of you know my story about changing from Music Ed into nursing 2.5 years into college. I went into nursing because another nursing student saw I was floundering with what to do with my life and I felt at home in the Nursing School. And like Dria I have always tried to do my best at whatever I attempted to do.....I knew I could be a nurse or at least give it my best.

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)..
The Following User Says Thank You to Glendah46 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2010, 09:23 AM

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,690 Posts
My Mood:

As far as the article, Frogger, it is bringing about a good point. Since I have been a nurse there has been a 'declared' nursing shortage. The article mentions that it may be stabilizing now and that's probably because the shortage has been long standing and the word is out there that nurses work.......I was also interested to read about the push for Master's level programs since I am debating on teaching until I retire.

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)..
The Following User Says Thank You to Glendah46 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2010, 02:38 PM

My Mood:

In South Africa we definitely have a nursing shortage, and it's getting worse. Sure, there are students going through the training, but few of them are dedicated to the service of others, but are rather motivated by the quest for money and status. You would be amazed at the high status held by nurses in the townships, even if the salaries do not match those earned in other parts of the world.

Many of our best nurses are seeking safer pastures; I have considered pushing off, and it would be very easy for me to do so, as I am British-born. But I have made my home here for 45 years, I love the country and its people, and it would wrench my heart to leave. Sadly, it also wrenches my heart to see how Health Care in this country is being screwed up by sheer bad management and idiotic legislation.

I just hope our South African Nursing Council realises what a mess they, along with the Health Ministry, have made of nurse training in this country. About 10 years ago they closed most of the nursing colleges; Now, it seems like they want to re-open them.
I don't even want to think about what it's going to cost...
The Following User Says Thank You to CapeTownRN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2010, 06:01 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

This nursing shortage is world wide and will always be so.

Until things change in the profession you will always see nurses come and nurses go.

I have worked with Nurses that purely went in for the security and wage. Some of those found it was not what they wanted to do and found earning that wage was not worth the pain and angst at work.

Some went in with the view of money and found that they loved what they were doing. Were pleasantly surprised even though some days simply suck.

I always wanted to be a nurse from a tiny age when I used to run around with my toy stethescope and 'operate' on anything I could get my hands on

Nursing has a way of weeding out those that are really not meant to be doing this line of work.

I agree with Andi and Glenda about always doing your best in what ever occupation one goes into.

Interesting article.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 AM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

Nursing has a way of weeding out those that are really not meant to be doing this line of work.

Well said Sabby. I am a relatively new RN and have already seen several nurses come and go in the profession. Completely agree with dria in that one should put their best efforts into whatever career choice one makes.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:09 AM

My Mood:

I think the biggest problem with the health care industry is that there is a nursing shortage; however, the powers that be refuse to hire more nurses. I know that one of the hospitals here has one RN per floor per shift. There are several LPNs and CNAs but usually only one RN maybe two if you count the charge nurse. (but usually the charge nurse is over several floors of similar types. Don't think I am explaining that right) They need more RNs because the work load is too much for just one person, but they refuse to hire more because they feel that one person can handle the job. So part (not all) of the problem with the nursing shortage is that the hospitals refuse or cannot afford to hire more RNs. So it seems that there is no nursing shortage to the people who are seeking a job, but to those actually in the field, they can see the shortage first hand. This of course is just my limited opinion of what I have seen of the hospitals around my area. It may not be that way in other places. However, I have heard many RNs complain about this very fact. The hospitals are creating the shortage.

I also agree that nursing like many other professions will weed out some of those that are not meant for the field. I like Sabby have wanted to be a nurse for a long time. It stems from my father being a nurse. I tried to go into other fields because I was young and rebellious and did not want to go into a field that my parents wanted me to go into. I did not realize when I was younger that they only wanted me to go into nursing because they saw that it made me happy. I am certain that there will be bad days, but as with any career, every day cannot be a rose garden. LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to frogger32091 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2010, 10:50 AM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:

Interesting, frogger, because my father crapped on just about everything I was ever interested in doing. I learned to hide such things deep inside myself, especially when he told me that a nurse was litttle more than a servant. Rather than risk a slap in the mouth for asking him what century he was living in, I simply never mentioned it again, and went ahead and went to nursing school later in life.

Strangely, it was my Microbiology professor who predicted I wouldn't be very happy in nursing. When I asked him why, he replied, "You think too much like a scientist". What that had to do with despising all the stupid politics I encountered, which, eventually , made me leave the profession more than once, I'll never know. Politics are in every workplace and profession. Peter, a retired engineer, told me how much he hated them in his workplaces.

I may not have lasted that long in nursing, but I don't regret having given it a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post: