Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Haunted

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Autistic kids are just brats ???

Michael Savage, a radio show talk host based out of New York came under fire recently for stating that " in 99% of the cases it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out ". Our esteemed Government tells us that 1 in 150 kids (app) has some form of autism. Mr. Savage defends his statement by saying that he feels too many kids are being over diagnosed with this disorder.

Autism is clearly on the rise, or diagnostic criteria is evolving to include the symptomology as a component of it.
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-22-2008, 09:26 PM

Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,455 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Any autistic kid I've ever seen was not a brat. It does seem to be on the rise. I wonder why. It's sad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 07-22-2008, 09:31 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

IMHO, it's the diagnostic criteria. This Savage jerk needs to be told to stifle his own act. I guess he's never had the pleasure of learning the damage that his way of "thinking" can cause. My own father's favorite line was, "Why don't you learn how to act right?" That was about as helpful as telling a kid to close his mouth and eat. Fortunately, I also acquired a conscience along the way, so I didn't end up as a serial killer, pyromaniac, or something else along those lines.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I think Michael Savage is an idiot. Truely autistic children are anything but brats. I do think doctors are too quick to label children as autistic and/or ADD, ADHD. I think there are many children taking daily meds they don't need to be taking.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2008, 09:33 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirlrn View Post
i think michael savage is an idiot. Truely autistic children are anything but brats. I do think doctors are too quick to label children as autistic and/or add, adhd. I think there are many children taking daily meds they don't need to be taking.
amen!!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Haunted

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Yes but what is the cause of this increase in DD kids ? I don't recall having any classmates or neighbors back in my day that had these issues. And we used lead paint, rode our bikes without helmets, our parents smoked in the house and car and we didn't have bottled water. We did eat a lot of Playdoe.........
Old 07-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
Yes but what is the cause of this increase in DD kids ? I don't recall having any classmates or neighbors back in my day that had these issues. And we used lead paint, rode our bikes without helmets, our parents smoked in the house and car and we didn't have bottled water. We did eat a lot of Playdoe.........

I think children are being over diagnosed with the flavor of the month. It used to be ADD/ADHD now it's autism. Kind of like we used to have Chronic Fatique Syndrome and now it's Fibromyalgia.

Back when we were little and we didn't pay attention our parents made sure that we did, usually by hitting our butts. Additionally our little faces weren't in the TV 24/7, we had to use our minds, our imagination. We played outside, we exercised alot more and we never got bored 5 minutes after whatever we had been doing was over or stopped.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2008, 09:45 PM

My Mood:

...and breathe a lot of car exhaust, didn't have ourselves and everything around us routinely wiped, disinfected, or sanitized, and, in many cases, went to school in asbestos-stuffed buildings. I don't know the answer to that, either, but I think that at least some of this diagnosing is fueled by parents who insist on having something they can label - and medicate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2008, 09:47 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchgirlRN View Post
I think children are being over diagnosed with the flavor of the month. It used to be ADD/ADHD now it's autism. Kind of like we used to have Chronic Fatique Syndrome and now it's Fibromyalgia.

Back when we were little and we didn't pay attention our parents made sure that we did. Additionally our little faces weren't in the TV 24/7, we had to use our minds, our imagination. We played outside, we exercised alot more and we never got bored 5 minutes after whatever we had been doing was over or stopped.
I don't recall ever really being bored, unless there was nothing to read. Even if i didn't have anybody to play with, I could always grab a book somewhere.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliopioneer View Post
...and breathe a lot of car exhaust, didn't have ourselves and everything around us routinely wiped, disinfected, or sanitized, and, in many cases, went to school in asbestos-stuffed buildings. I don't know the answer to that, either, but I think that at least some of this diagnosing is fueled by parents who insist on having something they can label - and medicate.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC