Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Army Nurse Honored after 100th Birthday

Army nurse honored after 100th birthday

BANGOR, Maine ? On the eve of Veterans Day, several local, state and military leaders couldn?t wait to shake the hand of Maj. Eva Marie Price, the state?s oldest living Army nurse, now retired.
?I know you don?t want this, but you certainly deserve the attention,? said Gov. John Baldacci during a ceremony in Bangor honoring Price, who turned 100 years old earlier this year.
?It can never be said enough that we owe a tremendous debt to our veterans,? added U.S. Rep. Michael Michaud.

Price, born in Brewer in 1909, enlisted in the U.S. Army before World War II. Like many women of her generation, she served as a nurse because that was her only real option, but her service helped pave the way for generations of women to follow.
Alfred Michaud, state VFW commander, said he couldn?t change the politics that kept Price from rising through the ranks at the same pace as her male counterparts, but he?s proud that she has taken her rightful place as a proud veteran.

Price, who now lives in a Bangor nursing home and is confined to a wheelchair, couldn?t understand all the fuss, but she sat patiently Tuesday while more than a dozen dignitaries regaled her military history.

After enlisting, Price mended wounded soldiers in the Philippines and then Japan after the bombings of Hiroshima. After the war ended, Price served in Germany and Korea. In the last five years of her 20-year Army career, she treated injured soldiers at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C.

Price moved back to her home state of Maine after retirement and has been active in veterans? groups ever since.
Her family arranged Tuesday?s celebration at University College with the help of the Bangor Parks & Recreation Department. Price?s sister, Leila Pearson, was overwhelmed by the turnout.

As for Price, she said she?d be busy for days sifting through all the certificates and gifts that she was presented on Tuesday.
?I didn?t do too much,? she said humbly.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/129014.html

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 PM

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,725 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Only one word comes to mind. AMAZING.
The Following User Says Thank You to momx3lvn For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-12-2009, 11:02 PM

Thanked 1,104 Times in 630 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It amazes me how most every vet you meet is so humble. They went through hell defending our rights and act like "Oh, it's nothing". Many, many brave, honorable people have and are serving our country in so many ways yet they expect nothing in return.

It's not what you are that holds you back, it's what you think you are not.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
The Following User Says Thank You to jules64 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2009, 12:49 AM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules64 View Post
It amazes me how most every vet you meet is so humble. They went through hell defending our rights and act like "Oh, it's nothing". Many, many brave, honorable people have and are serving our country in so many ways yet they expect nothing in return.

That is so true... and when I thank my guys, they tell me that they should be thanking ME for taking care of them. I always tell them, you guys did the job I couldn't do.. now let me do the jobs that you guys can't do.... it's a fair trade.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Kylee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2009, 06:12 AM

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,690 Posts
My Mood:

Great Story--thanks for posting. I agree with the above--they all seem so humble. I am grateful for their time and sacrifice.

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)..