Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 05:51 PM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 9 people, 2678 ER visits in 5 years...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090402/...nt_er_patients

Quote:
AUSTIN, Texas ? Just nine people accounted for nearly 2,700 of the emergency room visits in the Austin area during the past six years at a cost of $3 million to taxpayers and others, according to a report. The patients went to hospital emergency rooms 2,678 times from 2003 through 2008, said the report from the nonprofit Integrated Care Collaboration, a group of health care providers who care for low-income and uninsured patients.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 04-02-2009, 05:56 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

And loneliness. Let's not forget plain, old, nobody-gives-a-fart-about-me-anymore loneliness. It's like the kid who keeps getting his butt smacked, because at least he's getting attention when he does.
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 04-03-2009, 06:24 AM

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,690 Posts
My Mood:

drug seekers, probably diversionary stuff (get the drugs and re-sell on the sly) is my guess. Supposedly KY is really bad about diversion. I haven't worked ER in a long time but my biggest complaint is that most of the stuff on nights that I had to deal with was alcohol related ;-)
Old 04-03-2009, 06:52 AM

Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood:

Sheesh!

Now either those ppl should be permanently in hospital, the stats are out of whack, or there is some major reason as to how 9 ppl can do this without it being questioned! Are they hospital shopping? Major investigation needed.

Or maybe, as Mim suggests, they are going to the wrong places for treatment, they may need some sort of social / psychological support...

My mummy, and my two gorgeous grandnieces, Sienna and Lily xxx
The Following User Says Thank You to nyapa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2009, 02:34 PM

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,725 Posts
My Mood:

When I was in the ER admitting dept we had many frequent fliers. Some drug seekers and some mental health cases that wanted to be put on 5150's so they would be off the streets for a few nights. There are alot of ppl out there that really know how to work the system.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:04 PM

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,347 Posts
My Mood:

I read another version that said six were drug seekers and four were mentally ill (obviously some overlap) This is a glaring example of the Law of Unintended consequences and EMTALA.forumsmiley1019

There is a God-Shaped hole in every human being that only He can fill.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 941 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I had to chuckle at part of the solution being "referring to primary care doctors"...LOL!!!!

I do that all the time, tell patients the ED is not a walk-in clinic for primary care, and it doesn't matter.

People without insurance and therefore won't pay, or who have Medicaid, therefore meaning we don't get paid either, don't want to be inconvenienced by waiting for an MD visit. Plus they are expected to PAY the doctor in the office, even before being seen if you're a known problem, whereas we'll take your scruffy butt no matter what.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:48 PM

My Mood:

I went to the ED as a last resort, because I didn't know where else to go, and I got a referral for a PCP, who is now going to get my problems dumped in his lap.

I don't have enough income to pay for the hospital visit, either, and it makes me feel crappy.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:03 AM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 941 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliopioneer View Post
I went to the ED as a last resort, because I didn't know where else to go, and I got a referral for a PCP, who is now going to get my problems dumped in his lap.

I don't have enough income to pay for the hospital visit, either, and it makes me feel crappy.
Oh, geez, I'm sorry! I think my post looks pretty insensitive after reading what you wrote, and I'm sorry for that, too.

Still, you are obviously not the person being talked about: you went to the ED as a last resort, not because you were bored on Tuesday...and I think most of us cringe at the thought of the hospital bill, because we know we're going to have to figure out a way to pay for it somehow. The people in the article don't have that stress; they aren't trying to figure out how to pay for their umpteenth social call to the ED that week or month.

It's the responsible people of the world, the ones with a conscience, who want to do the right thing, who seem to always end up screwed! My patients that don't have anything EXCEPT a sense of responsibility always seem shorted in that they deny themselves care they should have--because of the potential bill. They don't feel they deserve better! And the ones who can't afford to pay but DON'T have that same feeling of guilt will eat up every test and free drug available because they do feel they deserve it--and have no intention of even trying to pay.

What a system.

BTW...did anyone do the math and figure out how many visits each person had in each year, divided up to come up with an average number of visits each week?
Old 04-04-2009, 03:25 PM

My Mood:

That's exactly what I'm talking about, MDP, and now all these things are being found that I probably should have had taken care of ages ago, and all because I don't feel that I deserve the care because I can't pay for it.