Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 PM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 960 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Default 8 Nurses fired for refusing flu shot!

These nurses stated that it was against their Religious beliefs.

Ind. hospital fires 8 workers who refused flu shot - SFGate

Can we say BLATANT discrimination?

Karen, RN,

Failure is NOT an option!! Gene Kranz during the Apollo 13 crisis.

When God leads you to it, He WILL lead you through it!
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

There are many visitors to hospitals who can easily spread flu germs by sneezing, touching door knobs, elevator buttons, etc. Chances are the vast majority of the patients have had a flu vaccine. Where I work, if you don't want the flu vaccine you have to wear a mask at work for 6 months until flu season is over. I think that is a doable compromise. I get the flu vaccine to protect me. I understand that some people just don't want it for whatever reason.
kwagner_51 likes this.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 01-02-2013, 03:48 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchgirlRN View Post
There are many visitors to hospitals who can easily spread flu germs by sneezing, touching door knobs, elevator buttons, etc. Chances are the vast majority of the patients have had a flu vaccine. Where I work, if you don't want the flu vaccine you have to wear a mask at work for 6 months until flu season is over. I think that is a doable compromise. I get the flu vaccine to protect me. I understand that some people just don't want it for whatever reason.

I agree with you Joanna and just how do the hospital administration plan to control that. Does this now mean that they are going to be liable if some one in their care gets the flu whilst in hospital?

I do not agree with forcing people to take it although I chose to but instead wear a mask for the entire flu season is an option.

When I was at the cancer center the last time one lady who was working behind the counter was wearing a mask as she chose not to take the flu vaccine.

It still should be personal choice, I think this hospital is too harsh on this and certainly one sided mentality.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 AM

Thanked 1,118 Times in 728 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Is anyone here non-denominational Christian? I am curious how getting a vaccine goes against those beliefs. I'm Catholic, so maybe I'm not informed about that specific denomination but I have never heard such a thing...

Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVL View Post
Is anyone here non-denominational Christian? I am curious how getting a vaccine goes against those beliefs. I'm Catholic, so maybe I'm not informed about that specific denomination but I have never heard such a thing...
We have two non-denominational christian churches in town. My understanding, from talking to friends who go, is that the non-denominational aspect of the church means they have no specific beliefs other than that God is our creator and Jesus is our savior.

Good question SVL. I was wondering about that too. Have been missing your posts and wondering how you're enjoying Texas, your new home, your new job?

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Not sure this makes it any clearer:

What is a “Non Denominational Church”? Non Denominational Churches are churches that choose not to formally be involved with a denomination. A denomination is a group of churches under a religious name that represents their core beliefs. The purpose of denominations is accountability and stability. Denominational churches tend to have different religious practices. Non denominational churches doesn’t focus on tradition but rather change. When we allow ourselves to change we give God the freedom to fix us or help us. Non denominational churches preach holiness, righteousness, and living a life that will please God. Non Denominational Church | Atlanta Churches | Prophetic Worship | Covenant Connections Church

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 01-02-2013, 01:10 PM

Thanked 1,498 Times in 878 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVL View Post
By definition, nondenominational Christians like myself do not subscribe 100% to the dogma of any established religion, other than the core beliefs in God/Jesus that Dutchie mentioned. The term may also be used for a Christian church that functions as an independent entity, with no supervising body (like the Catholic diocsese/archdiosece) or ties to other congregations.

In any situation, it really is more of a non-label than an actual label, you can tell that the nondenominational Christian does not believe in organized religion, but that's about it.

A person's opinion on vaccines really doesn't drive their choice to be nondenominational, rather, it is their opinion of organized religion and the associated dogma. Nondenominational Christians have no shared belief for or against vaccination as a whole, though individual sects may.

Clear as mud right??
Old 01-02-2013, 01:33 PM

My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

only churches I know of that the religion itself speaks against vaccines are Jehovah whiteness and Christian scientist . others may consider themselves to be God lead to not get it but it is not technically a religious belief since it is not a formed religious belief
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Owner/Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dria View Post
Nondenominational Christians have no shared belief for or against vaccination as a whole, though individual sects may.

Clear as mud right??
That's what I was thinking dria. You have non-denominational churches and non-denominational christians and the two do not necessarily meet. I would call myself a non-denominational Christian, even though I am baptised and confirmed by the Episcopal church. I choose not to attend a traditional denominational church. I choose to believe in God, as my holy father and Jesus as my savior, love, honesty, integrity, ethics and treating others as I would like to be treated, are my philosophies.

I would assume that some non-denominational churches choose their own rules, that their members are supposed to follow, but actually that doesn't really put them in the classification of a non-denominational church but more of a sect of their own.

You are right....Clear as mud!

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 01-02-2013, 02:44 PM

Thanked 1,781 Times in 960 Posts
My Mood:

My question is what about our INDIVIDUAL right to religious freedom? Why does it have to be condoned by a 'Corporate Religion?'

I am non denominational..ie I do not go to church and do not support any mainstream religion. I was raised Church of Christ.

My belief leans more towards Mennonites and Amish. I PRACTICE what I believe. I don't just go to church when the doors are open. [Which is what I was taught was the ONLY thing I needed to do.]

Since we have a Constitutional right to practice our religion any way we see fit, then in my opinion the hospital was DEAD WRONG!!

There is a Scripture that states "Our bodies are a LIVING sacrifice." Therefore it would violate their belief to get a shot that is foreign to their bodies.

Just my thoughts.

Karen, RN,

Failure is NOT an option!! Gene Kranz during the Apollo 13 crisis.

When God leads you to it, He WILL lead you through it!