Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > Nursing in the News

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 05:08 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 66 year old pregnant woman

So I stumbled across this and hope the post works. What do you think?

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/st...12231401.shtml
Old 05-19-2009, 05:16 PM

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,725 Posts
My Mood:

I don't think she have been able to qualify for IVF, but totally disagree with the article stating they think she would be a bad mother. Who are they to judge her mothering skills just because she is older. What I think is unfair is that this baby may never know thier mother. When he/she is 12 years old mom will be nearly 80. The odds are that there will be someone else raising this child.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momx3lvn For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 05-19-2009, 06:19 PM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

I think it is too late in the game to be having a wee babe and how long will she be in the childs life? Too sad if you ask me!
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sabby For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 05-19-2009, 06:39 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 941 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

My knee-jerk reaction is "wth???" But then I can't give a really good reason for not doing it. I can't say "there's no guarantee she'll be there to raise them later" like the doctor in the article because, let's face it, any of us could drop dead tomorrow. Mothers do still die with babies very young, toddlers, and they are in their twenties, thirties, forties. Was it "unfair" to those babies that their mothers died? Sure, but life IS unfair.

One could argue that the child is getting born, is GETTING a life, and therefore Mom isn't "selfish" but rather, gave that child a future. I have known enough "late in life" babies whose mothers had an "oops" at age 45 to know that things don't always go as planned and still turn out great.

My own family tree runs rampant with the women being ridiculously fertile well past when it should have stopped. My grandmother gave birth at the age of 42, at a time when it was whispered about (how dare she, etc). My great-grandmother gave birth to her last child at the age of 40, when it was REALLY scandalous. She didn't even want to walk the babycarriage in the street, had one of the teenage daughters do it so people would think it was hers! And my great-grandmother lived into her late 90's, as did Grandma.

Ok, all that said, I suppose there really does have to be a Are You Kidding?!? age. My personal reaction is that yes, being 66 is beyond reasonable for HEALTH concerns. Just basic health concerns, not that she'd be a bad mother, or that she couldn't keep up, etc. My kids' grandparents, well into their 70's, have more energy that anyone else I know :)
Old 05-20-2009, 12:59 AM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I dunno, guys and dolls... I'll be 47 in a couple of weeks and I feel like I'm too old to have one.

I just don't want to risk Downs for a child just because I would be selfish enough to get pregnant at my age. I don't want someone else paying for my mistakes....

And I certainly don't want to be retirement age when my kid is graduating from high school.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
The Following User Says Thank You to Kylee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 AM

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,690 Posts
My Mood:
Default Take note

To all my Fellow JUN friends!

TO all that read this: If I come up pregnant any time between now (age 53) and age 66 just go on and commit me to the loony farm!

Thank-you in advance for your cooperation!.

th_4285 Glenda

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glendah46 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2009, 12:03 PM

My Mood:

I am this woman's age and I consider myself quite energetic and youthful for my age. I love being with and babysitting for my grandchild but am equally as happy when Mom comes to take this wonderful, well behaved child home. After a weekend I am exhausted. I will also be in my eighties when this youngster is going through the terrible teens. I do not see how people who have children this late in life can cope with the financial and emotional and physical needs of children as they grow. It is unfair to the kids.

I firmly believe nature's plan was best. Man is meddling with it without regard to the consequences.th_ththink1-1
Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:

I understand what everyone is saying, with regards to the parents' ages, physical conditions, etc., but not all of us have been in top physical condition while raising our kids, despite our ages. If anything, it taught my kids how to improvise, work their way through problems, stand on their own two feet, and not expect everything to be roses all the time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post: