Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > What's Going On In Your World? > Current Events in the News

User Tag List

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2016, 09:18 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Lake Minnetonka Murder-Suicide Still Weighs Heavy On Small Town

GREENWOOD, Minn. (WCCO) — The horrific story made national headlines when a family of five was found dead in their Lake Minnetonka mansion. Now, for the first time, we’re hearing from the people who arrived first on scene and the personal toll it’s taken on a small police department.

Brian Short shot and killed his wife and their three children last fall before turning the gun on himself. The call to 911 came at 12:20 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 10. Sgt. Jim Williams of the South Lake Minnetonka Police Department was dispatched to the scene. “A co-worker had called and said that Brian hadn’t shown up for work,” Williams said.The caller said his kids also hadn’t shown up at school.

“Brian Short had recently inquired about life insurance policies, death benefits, suicide clause, things like that,” Williams said. “With all of that information going into the call, that made it different than a typical welfare check".

Williams had no idea just how different. He remembers walking through an unlocked back door of the Greenwood home. “Horrific,” he said. “It was the worst thing I’ve ever seen.” He first found the body of Brian Short’s wife, Karen, in her bedroom, next to a cordless phone.

“I was also terrified,” Williams said. “Because I knew there were kids that were missing, that I didn’t know where they were, and I was afraid of what I was going to find next.”

Seventeen-year-old Cole, 15-year-old Madison, and 14-year-old Brooklyn were all dead in their own beds. Their dad had killed himself in the garage.

Detective Mike O’Keefe worked the case from day one.“It took its toll on everybody,” he said. But it’s what didn’t stand out that still haunts the 14-person police department of South Lake Minnetonka. “It just seemed to be a normal home,” O’Keefe said. “A school bag and clothes lined up for the first day of school. Those are the things that seemed to have a lasting impression, especially on me.”

O’Keefe led the investigation into trying to find answers, sifting through emails, legal documents and several home safes. An interview with Brian Short’s office manager became perhaps the most telling piece of all.
Brian Short had founded AllNurses.com, a social media website for nurses more than 20 years ago. His office manager told police she handled all of the company’s and the Short’s personal bills. Earlier that summer, Brian Short asked to get up to speed.

She said that’s when he first learned what it cost to run his company and his lifestyle, including paying quarterly taxes of over $200,000.
His colleague said concerns over steep revenue cuts and a large defamation lawsuit against his company led to “severe anxiety.

A neighbor told police just days before his death that Brian Short made a hand gesture in the shape of a gun, put it to his head and said, “It’s just overwhelming.”

“Unfortunately, we’re never going to know the series of events that happened in that residence, we’re never going to have a clear understanding of why"

A snow-covered teddy bear is the only sign of what happened in the Short house five months ago. As police can now only hope, others will hear their message if they sense trouble in their own families.

Family members declined to be interviewed for this story. In a statement from Karen’s sister, Kelly Wilhelm, she said they’re focused on coping and working through their grief.

“I think it has been talked about enough in that all who knew them know they were a beautiful family and no one would have imagined in a million years this could or would happen,” the statement said. “Even given all of the information I personally or anyone else knows, we will never truly have a definite answer as to how or why this could happen, it’s beyond bewildering. I search for answers continually. At some point I will be pursuing avenues regarding more research into possible causes with hopes of opportunities for prevention. Our prayer and deepest hope is for this to never happen to anyone else ever again.”

The South Lake Minnetonka Police Department did go through a debriefing session with its officers after this happened. Looking back, the department believes some officers likely needed more help and they plan to offer more help to first responders in the future.
The lawsuit against Brian Short’s company has been allowed to continue. The next court date in the case is scheduled for next month.

Lake Minnetonka Murder-Suicide Still Weighs Heavy On Small Town Police « WCCO | CBS Minnesota

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 02-24-2016, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Unhappy

I can't even imagine. I didn't post this on TOL for obvious reasons, but since this is a private forum... My oldest daughter is a grade behind Brooklyn in the same school district. Brooklyn attended the high school and my daughter is still in middle school, and they were never in the same extracirriculars so she didn't really know her (and no, I never met Brian and I don't know where the AN office was even though my middle two attend grade school in Excelsior)

This community is the epitome of the "this kind of thing doesn't happen here" thought. It's an affluent community, and an extremely nice community. I mean the schools don't even have trouble with bullying! Whenever they talk about anti-bullying things in the middle school, my daughter says the kids are like "Yeah, we know."

I imagine the police have responded to robberies over the years, and accident scenes, but not so many violent crimes. And then to find 3 children shot in their beds where they are supposed to be safe, by the one who was supposed to protect them? And an innocent woman?

I really can't.
The Following User Says Thank You to Here.I.Stand For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 02-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Thank you for sharing. I cannot imagine either. I cannot even fathom it. When I read this article I was totally stunned once again.

I live in a very similar town and we had a horrific crime here that rocked our small community a couple of years ago. A 24 yr old women delivered identical twin boys at home and sufficated.them and stuffed them in her laundry hamper in her room. Her father found them. No one knew she was even pregnant. She was pugy and wore big baggy clothes. Her fiancee was not the father of the boys and is the reason she killed them. She could have taken them to the police department, no questions asked.

She received a double life sentence with no chance of parole. Rightfully so. She admitted to being selfish not mentally ill. Her father is a minister. He called the police.

The not to be mentioned one was a total coward. What he did shocked me but the fact that "he" could do it did not. To kill one's children is unfathomable.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 02-25-2016, 01:18 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,707 Posts
My Mood:

Can't understand. Parents are supposed to be the ones that you can go to your whole life. The ones that love you unconditionally despite everything. I just don't get it.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 02-25-2016, 01:35 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 941 Posts
My Mood:

stuffed two newborns into a laundry hamper....WTF was her plan?? Did she think they'd evaporate???
Old 02-25-2016, 05:14 PM

Thanked 1,537 Times in 1,192 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I think there is so much more to this story...I grieve for the innocent lives lost.
DutchgirlRN likes this.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:06 AM

Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,399 Posts
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

mental illness or evil? always hard to tell. Do mentally ill people really not to wrong from right? Hmmmmmm.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:35 AM

My Mood:

Have had this conversation with hubby......that being what would one consider 'evil' versus a mental illness. Hitler was the topic of the discussion, since it was such a well-documented case of atrocities against humanity, repeatedly, for years.

Hubby believes in the existence of true evil. Someone who knows right from wrong, but is unmoved by it. No desire to "do right", only "do what I want". Justifies all actions because they suit his own goals...collateral damage be damned.

Thing is, this also fits within the definition of Antisocial Personality Disorder. What we used to call a sociopath....and we accept that it's a mental illness.

Me? I just don't know. I guess I fall into the camp that believes that if someone's actions are akin to Hitler's....I don't care if it's illness or evil: they need to be eliminated from society, as they are dangerous to the very core of society.

That's my profound thought for the day!
Old 02-26-2016, 11:09 AM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:

I can't help but agree with that, but I have to say that it's the mental illness that's in question. One that presents as such sx as paranoia, hallucinations, delusions, etc. could blur the boundaries between sickness and evil; would evil be defined, perhaps, as actually enjoying the actions as opposed to feeling compelled to commit them in order to prevent something terrible known only to the person experiencing them from happening?

Truth be told, when I hear the word, "antisocial", I think of persons like me who avoid crowds and noise and don't fit in. We would rather avoid the situations than commit some act of destruction or assassination to eliminate the problems.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:10 PM

My Mood:

People who prefer to avoid crowds, large gatherings, frequent socializing....I think the term 'antisocial' is probably overused and certainly not accurately used. I guess, though, "minimally social" is a bit of a mouthful!

DSMIV had Sociopath, Psychopath, etc...now in DSMV there's a broader umbrella of "Antisocial Personality Disorder" that encompasses much of them. The real, TRUE use of "antisocial" meaning that they are anti-society. You, Mim, are not anti-society...you're minimally social! :-) And I think I'm probably a lighter version of that.....my hubby used to love going to big concerts, event venues, and I didn't like that at all. But, still, not really avoiding social gatherings....we're complex creatures, aren't we?