Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2015, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default WHY I should not click on a student forum.

[But I want to take this class so that I have options and my only option, if my school denys my petition, is to take it in a winter session but I'm from South Florida and we don't really have "winter" sessions.]

This is a straight cut 'n paste. I don't know "weather" this is a joke or for real. I truly fear it is for real.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:01 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I don't really know what a "winter session" is either. However, I can use my superior intellectual skills to figure out that maybe it's a school that works on quarters? I don't think being from Florida has anything to do with it.
My care plan and dosage class I'm taking is during the break between Fall and Spring semesters. Does that make it a winter session class? It's under my Spring class schedule though...
See, I may be a little confused, but it's not because I'm from Nevada and don't have "winter" down here...
Mr_Nurse, Farawyn and canigraduate like this.
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-13-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellThatsOod View Post

I don't really know what a "winter session" is either. However, I can use my superior intellectual skills to figure out that maybe it's a school that works on quarters? I don't think being from Florida has anything to do with it.
My care plan and dosage class I'm taking is during the break between Fall and Spring semesters. Does that make it a winter session class? It's under my Spring class schedule though...
See, I may be a little confused, but it's not because I'm from Nevada and don't have "winter" down here...
A "winter session" is a short/accelerated class session squeezed in between a fall and spring session. The weather experienced during this session does not determine whether it will be offered or not.
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-13-2015, 06:38 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Nurse View Post
A "winter session" is a short/accelerated class session squeezed in between a fall and spring session. The weather experienced during this session does not determine whether it will be offered or not.
Yay I'm participating in a winter session!
GrnTea likes this.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:47 PM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

That was the summer session way back when I went to school. Go figure.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:03 PM

Fall is Sept-Dec.

Winter is Jan-Apr.

Intersession/Spring is May-June (compressed)

Summer Intersession is July-Aug (compressed)

But I'm in Canada and winter in my area lasts six months_muaha
GrnTea likes this.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:21 PM

My Mood:

You know how Doc McStuffins had a stethoscope that brings her toys to life?
Can we get stethoscopes that make people smart? No? Too bad.

Here we have Spring session from Jan - May, summer is Jun - Aug, and Fall is Aug - Dec. Winter session happens more in the Uni than it does at my CC. (I am slightly ashamed of that BTW)
canigraduate likes this.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:09 AM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Four quarters: Fall = Sept-Dec
Winter = Jan-Mar
Spring = Apr - June
Summer = July - Aug
Each has the same number of instructional hours, considering vacation and holiday time

Two semesters:
First, Early Sept -Dec
Intersession, Jan
Second, Feb - June
Summers off, but could have summer school

Maritime college here:
Fall, Sept - Dec
Sea Term, Jan - Feb (for licensed majors, deck, engine)
Land term ashore, for nonlicensed majors, same
Spring, March - June
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society
Old 11-30-2015, 04:06 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The recent question about talking to a doctor about anticoagulation/INR that morphed into a discussion about atrial fibrillation and deep vein thrombosis is instructive as to the extent of instruction in nursing school, and, apparently, NP school. Granted, the question was originally posed by a new grad, but the quality of the discourse was much more like nursing school.

I am glad to see that somebody picked it up, though. If I had a nickel for every time I explained on TOL that DVT doesn't cause stroke (unless there's a septal defect AND a right-to-left shunt) I could retire; it's good to see somebody else picking up the slack on that. And the idea that AF causes DVT, supported by an ancient paper that also says the jury is out on whether anticoagulation is indicated in AF for stroke prophylaxis-- do they not teach how to read past the first paragraph? Heaven help us.
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society
Old 11-30-2015, 06:10 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 941 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I just took a look at my son's academic calendar, curious to see how a winter session would fall (he is taking a traditional scheduling route: fall semester, winter break for about a month, then return for spring semester.... off for the summer, rinse/repeat). Answer is the fall semester is from late August until late December, Winter Session picks up January 2nd and completes when the spring students return last week of January. In other words, winter session is approximately 4 weeks long ,...a little less actually. Spring semester is late January until early to mid May. So if I have it right, the dingbat in question in the OP thought that since South Florida didn't have snow, lol, there couldn't possibly be a winter session.?! I don't suppose January occurs in South Florida either then?