Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default What qualities do bad nurses posses?

We all know what qualities a good nurse possess, we are all good nurses or good nursing students. What do you think are qualities of a bad nurse? Do you know any bad nurses? Obviously no names allowed here!

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 05-25-2011, 09:54 AM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 941 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

know any? Oh lordy yes....

A bad nurse is one who doesn't check on her patients, but allows the techs to tell him/her what the patient needs, whether the patient is incontinent, what's in the Foley, basically have them assess the danged patient rather than get up and GO IN the room.

A bad nurse is one who bases the decision of whether to call the doctor on how inconvenient it is. Doesn't matter what the patient needs, it's all about HER.

A bad nurse is one who bitches about how everyone else has an easier run, he has the hardest patients, etc etc ad nauseum.....and doesn't spend anywhere near the time or effort on the patients that he does complaining. Because if he did, they wouldn't be complaining to ME about HIM.

A bad nurse charts on her patients before even SEEING those patients. I kid you not, I've seen this done. Charting on skin condition before ever lifting the covers or turning the patient. Charting on a dressing change.....that she never did. How about copying the exact same charting that the previous nurse did (we have those little check-boxes). How do we know it's copied and not assessed? Well, I was third shift and finding the prior TWO nurses charted on the patient's having equal pedal pulses and no surgical site to assess. Really?? He's got ONE leg 'cause he's here for an AKA!!

And let's not forget charting on turn/positions q2h, etc for the rest of the night (like 9 hours ahead of time). Can't wait until one of these days the patient DIES before the chart SAYS he does...

Can you tell I have low tolerance for this crap?
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 05-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Nurses who chart an assessment that they never did.

Nurses who are only in nursing for the paycheck.

Nurses who try to write everyone up for every little thing.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 AM

Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,455 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

A nurse that looks at a patient with respirations of 40 and thinks nothing of it.

Again a nurse who charts a patient's assessment without actually assessing them.

A nurse who tells patient to just void in the bed because they are too lazy to get patient OOB.

A nurse who is mean to her/his patients. They are sick for Gods sake be nice to them!!!

A nurse who is strictly there for the paycheck. Never understood them, our paycheck ain't that wonderful
Poliopioneer and Here.I.Stand like this.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 AM

My Mood:

The nurse who left me in pain for 2 hours after being transfered out of the ICU because "your pca isnt ready" instead of getting a single dose

along with that one to an extent:
the ICU nurse who I had asked for meds from and she said I could get it on the floor.

the nurse who would not help me off the toilet because "you will rip my arm out if its socket"
Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 PM

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,690 Posts
My Mood:

A nurse who doesn't listen.

A nurse who cops an attitude when asked to do or help with something that might require effort.

A smart alec know-it-all type that tries to baffle with bullhockey.

A nurse who thinks it is OK for them to break the rules.

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)..
Old 05-25-2011, 03:05 PM

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,347 Posts
My Mood:

A bad nurse or nursing student........
  • cuts corners because it is easier
  • doesn't look information up to be sure about the dosage or an unfamilar treatment just ordered
  • makes assumptions
  • is content to do the bare minimum
  • is rude and condesending to anyone "below" him or her, but brown-noses up the chain every chance they get
  • is afraid to get a doctor or family member "upset" while advocating for their patient
  • is lazy
  • skips assessments, or doesn't recognize a patient "going bad" even after years of experience
  • whines, nonstop....assignment, schedule, dinner break time, coworkers.....everything is always awful and he/she is always the "poor victim"
  • is careless about sterility, careless about hand washing, and careless with meds
  • doesn't learn from her/his mistakes
  • covers up errors to protect themselves, even at risk of harm to patients
  • has totally stopped caring, if they did in the first place

wow...wish belting this list out had been harder
GrnTea and Here.I.Stand like this.

There is a God-Shaped hole in every human being that only He can fill.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:15 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

A nurse who has lost that sympathetic ear. Who chooses not to listen or only half-listens.

A nurse who is sympathetic to the patient's face then makes fun of them or talks negatively behind their back to thier co-workers.

A nurse who waits for the next shift to fix the problem instead of doing what needs to be done.

A nurse with the attitude that they don't have to take the person to the bathroom because that is what a CNA is for. ( or similar tasks )
Here.I.Stand likes this.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:15 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,711 Posts
My Mood:

Oh my gosh, guys.. did you all work with me at HELL? I have had one of every one of those type of nurses.

I don't know if it's being a bad nurse, but I really hate it when I tell a nurse something about a patient (new wound, bruise, having an emesis, blood in the Foley bag), and I get blown off because "You're only the aide. You're not a NURSE." Well, yes, I am an aide, and some day I might be a Nurse... but for now, I think I know enough that if something is not right, I'm handing it over to you to take care of because I don't have a license and I can't make any judgments beyond "Something isn't right with this patient."

I would rather take a patient to the bathroom 100 times than have to strip and change a bed. I don't care how inconvenient it is for my schedule, it's my job to take care of every patient on that floor every day. If they weren't there, I wouldn't have a job.

And it really burns my tush when other aides will put a patient in bed for a nap, and then say "They're not getting up again" because they don't want to be bothered with the extra 10 minutes (if that) that it takes to get them OOB. That so isn't fair to the patient, especially if they want to get up.
GrnTea and Here.I.Stand like this.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN

Last edited by Kylee; 07-02-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:28 PM

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,725 Posts
My Mood:

A nurse who is assigned to A bed while I am assigned to B bed and would rather hunt me down in another room to tell me my pt needs and extra pillow instead of opening up the closet and getting one for them.