Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SVL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 08:41 PM

Thanked 1,118 Times in 728 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What I did today.

Today was supposed to be day 2 of my 3 day week. Day 1 I had a fever, and today I was called because of an overstaffing issue and I guess it was my turn (or maybe they were just pissed at me for being sick yesterday).

Anyway, this is nothing new, I'm not the happiest with my hospital. While I recognize that I am a new nurse and it provides a lot of learning opportunities for me, I just wish I was at a better facility. I feel that at some point, I will get stagnant and not learn as much as I could. This is not a place where I want to be forever. 7 months in and I'm already itching to move.

I want to do medical oncology, and while I work on the medical oncology floor- for one, it's closed now until after new year because of a low census, and for two we rarely even give chemo in the first place. I want to give chemo. more than anything, I want to do chemo. Want to be a chemo nurse, and that's that! Darn it all, and I will BE that some day.

I applied to every RN position under the sun within a 50 mile radius of home. MD offices, acute care, oncology, non-oncology, you name it, if I even sort of qualified, I applied. My eyes hurt from being on the computer all day.

I even managed to get my discussions in for school too.

I need a better job. I'm just getting impatient. I don't mean to be a snot, but I know I'm better than where I work. I want to be somewhere with not only a better reputation, but a better morale overall. It kind of sucks to be at work every day and have everyone hate the place. BOO! That can't be good.

Most days I don't mind my job, mostly because I probably don't know any better. It's all I know, and it doesn't seem so bad. But, if there is better, I want better... I want to know better. :(

I hope I have some luck. I may not because I don't have a year, but I figure I have a better chance trying to go elsewhere than not trying, right?

Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-12-2012, 10:24 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

This is very common with new grads, Sarah. Funny that you should post this when it was discussed in Research class today.

From what I remember of the information is that the hospital invests about $10,000 for a new grad to get them trained and up to speed to work the floor, and the last thing they want is for the new grad to be unhappy and leave.

Of course, this is reality, and we all know that nurses eat their young and are really snotty and pissy to new grads, new nurses, and those who have goals and want to learn. It's like they forgot they were a brand new RN at one time.

You're not the only one that feels like this, I am sure. And if a better opportunity came along and if it offered the chance for advancement and to do what you want to do... then grab it...

A lot of places say they want a year of experience, but I was told they put out what they wish for and take what they can get.

I'm sure you will do well and will find something soon.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 09-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I think that's a wise decision Sara. The worst they can say is no and you'll get some practice interviewing.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Old 09-12-2012, 11:07 PM

My Mood:

I actually found a new grad position at one of the local state university system hospitals, among many other openings in medical oncology there. I applied to all of them. My tactic is to just apply apply apply. I want to be in a research hospital, a teaching hospital. If I keep applying, sooner or later someone is bound to call me.

I think I need to sit down one day a week and apply to everything new that pops up.

It's not that I'm so much unhappy at my job, it's just that I feel I deserve better. I'm much to bright, and much to determined to get where I want to be than to stay at a dead end job. I feel like if I get stuck at my hospital, I'll just be a staff nurse forever. That's just not what I want. Nothing wrong with that, but it's just not me.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:49 AM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVL View Post
I actually found a new grad position at one of the local state university system hospitals, among many other openings in medical oncology there. I applied to all of them. My tactic is to just apply apply apply. I want to be in a research hospital, a teaching hospital. If I keep applying, sooner or later someone is bound to call me.

I think I need to sit down one day a week and apply to everything new that pops up.

It's not that I'm so much unhappy at my job, it's just that I feel I deserve better. I'm much to bright, and much to determined to get where I want to be than to stay at a dead end job. I feel like if I get stuck at my hospital, I'll just be a staff nurse forever. That's just not what I want. Nothing wrong with that, but it's just not me.

Oh SVL I so agree with you and keep following your dreams, it will work out in the end and that is what is so great with Nursing, YOU can choose. I wish you all the very best in your search.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Old 09-13-2012, 05:41 AM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:

Is there a VA hospital near you, Sarah? They are great places to get experience... they value education, and they want their people to advance. Not to mention they treat you well too.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylee View Post
Is there a VA hospital near you, Sarah? They are great places to get experience... they value education, and they want their people to advance. Not to mention they treat you well too.
About an hour away. I applied to every open RN position on USAJobs I qualified for. VA had some openings.
DutchgirlRN and Kylee like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to SVL For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 08:11 AM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylee View Post

A lot of places say they want a year of experience, but I was told they put out what they wish for and take what they can get.

I cannot speak for nursing since I am just getting into the game, but I used to work HR and have been to every job seeking class that work source has placed and this statement by Kylee is so true. With the number of people out of work, employers can afford to be a little more picky on who they hire because they know if they wait just a little while they might find just exactly what they want in an employee.

The problem is that usually who they want ends up not wanting them. I took and office job once where I felt like the boobie prize because the girl they wanted for the position turned them down so they hired me and made sure I knew about it too. Needless to say I did not stay there long. However, I applied for an HR job that said the job required a years experience working in HR. I had never worked in HR before but I was desperate for a job. I applied for everything that did not take a degree. The HR manager called me in for an interview. The first question they asked was why I applied for a job that I was not qualified to do. I simply replied, I have all the skills needed to perform this job except the specific HR knowledge. I am a quick learner and enjoy a challenge. I am a firm believer that you cannot learn anything new unless you take a risk, so I applied for this position. I know that my customer service skills and clerical skills will make me an asset to your department. Even if I had HR experience, you would have to train me in the manner in which your company would like this job performed. I bring you a blank canvas that is ready to be filled with no previous bad habits. The dang manager hired me and I was there over three years and I learned how to run the HR department in less time than it took people who had HR experiences.

So yes what Kaylee said is correct they post what they want and take what they can get, but there is always hope. I have applied for over 75 jobs already in the nursing field. None of which I technically qualify for since they all require a valid RN license. I have not taken my NCLEX yet so I do not have a license, yet I still apply because you just never know.

Keep applying and keep your chin up. I know my HR story had nothing to do with nursing, but I was hoping that it would show you that sometimes even the company does not know what they want. I wish you the best of luck. I know looking for a job is hard and frustrating. I hope you find a place that you really enjoy working and are proud go into everyday.

Believe me, I am waiting now for a call from a place I would rather not work, but if it gives me my years experience and puts food on my table, I will take the job.

Frogger RN :) LOL!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:39 PM

My Mood:

Well, now that I won't be staying in this area past April 2013, all this talk here is irrelevant. POOP!