Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 11:36 AM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Well, this sucks: cataracts

Just had my annual visit to my beloved optometrist, a very good guy. He told me last year I had the makings of cataracts but if they were't bothering me and weren't progressing, I should probably plan on getting new built-in lenses in 6-8 years.

So I've been noticing that my glasses weren't working as well, more squinting, more blurry TV, etc., so I told him that and anticipated a change in my prescription (trifocals; I use Job Lot $6/3pr 3.0 readers for computering and reading and sewing, same strength as the reading lens in the trifocals, but bigger screen).

As it turns out, the reason I'm blurry is that my cataracts have progressed markedly in one year. Cranking up the prescriptions for distance will give me increased acuity, so he's doing that (and I should get 3.5 or 3.75 readers at the Job Lot, if available), but I should probably plan on cataract surgery within a year. Not worried about the expense because I go on Mcare in the spring . The good news is that he says my new implants will be like being 25 again, and I shouldn't need glasses for anything except maybe 1.75-2.0 readers for close work. That sounds pretty damn good to me.

SO I decided to keep my present frames and not get some trendy frameless ones, because it looks like I won't be needing any at all come spring-summer. Still, not what I was expecting.

Anybody ever had their lenses replaced like this? How'd it go?
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-06-2015, 11:48 AM

Thanked 5,786 Times in 3,765 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I had cataract surgery in both eyes over this past summer. The difference in visual acuity was dramatic. I now need correction for a slight astigmatism and the usual magnification bit (I can't afford fancy lens implants that will take care of that; besides, I like my frames and they help to hide the wrinkles on my face). I will get new lenses as soon as I pay down more of my moving expenses.
Kylee likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poliopioneer For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I am younger than you and had a cataract removed with lens replacement about a year ago. My vision had deteriorated to 20/200. The procedure and recovery was a piece of cake.

I have a cataract in my other eye but it's not as bad as the other. It is getting progressively worse so I will have it done soon. Dr. said it is ready. My deductible has changed from $300 to $1,000 so I want to wait until at least Jan 1.

My vision is greatly improved but I am still in trifocals. I believe there is no correction in the top on the left eye since the surgery.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2015, 06:46 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I had both of mine done 2 years ago. I was amazed how much color there was after I got my new lenses.

I still need readers, but not always for the computer, depending on screen size and if I take the time to enlarge the font size.

Left eye is 20/20, right eye is about 20/40 (it's always been the weaker of the two). I didn't get the ones that would magically correct ALL my vision, mainly because it would have been an added $1500/eye (not covered by insurance, and I was already paying extra because I went to an out of hospital doctor and surgicenter), and the doc couldn't guarantee it would actually work.

I've got a LOT of things I'd rather do with $3000 than bet it on a crap shoot lol.

As someone who has been severely nearsighted and worn glasses since the age of 6 (we can thank the measles for that), it's the best thing I've ever done.

Last edited by jensmom7; 11-08-2015 at 06:48 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
The Following User Says Thank You to jensmom7 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2015, 07:18 AM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,199 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

My vision was getting worse, I went and had come them exam e and my eyes were getting better and my glasses were making it worse. Something called second sight,
Old 11-09-2015, 01:20 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensmom7 View Post
As someone who has been severely nearsighted and worn glasses since the age of 6 (we can thank the measles for that), it's the best thing I've ever done.
No measles just worn progressively thicker glasses since third grade. Had Lasik surg in 2003, now just need readers, dang, thought I could ditch glasses altogether.

Been noticing more "stars" around lights, especially driving at night in wet weather what with all the additional reflections. Maybe I could look forward to cataract surgery??
Old 11-09-2015, 01:47 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 941 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurseforever View Post
My vision was getting worse, I went and had come them exam e and my eyes were getting better and my glasses were making it worse. Something called second sight,
I have the same oddity: I am damned near blind I'm so nearsighted, and have worn contacts (one with astigmatism correction) since I was 12. About a year ago I was having trouble reading newspapers, magazines, and of course anything printed on a little ampule or tiny vial of medication. But I noticed that on the evenings I took out my contacts (I'm bad, I sleep with them in more often than not) I could read VERY easily a recipe card or magazine at a normal distance in front of me!! Shocking. Crystal clear. My PHONE was getting blurry....but without contacts: clear.

Went to optometrist, sure I needed a much stronger script, and he told me it was the OPPOSITE: I could see clearly without the contacts (but ONLY up close, normal reading range) because my eyes had changed/improved. I'm still blind as a bat at any real distance (like, 5 feet!!) but NOW I use reading glasses for up-close reading. Ridiculous to me: I'm wearing CONTACTS...AND using glasses.

But otherwise I'd be wearing glasses and taking them off to read....so this is better. Bifocal contacts don't really work, so...I have my Little Ol' Lady Granny Glasses handy :-)
Old 11-09-2015, 01:49 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensmom7 View Post

As someone who has been severely nearsighted and worn glasses since the age of 6 (we can thank the measles for that)...
You mean you didn't just take lots of Vitamin C and baking soda to prevent them? Odd....
canigraduate and jensmom7 like this.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:53 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnTea View Post
Anybody ever had their lenses replaced like this? How'd it go?
My mother had this done recently. Did one eye at a time. First one did not go very well....SURGERY went well, but she was that bitty-tiny percentage that doesn't get excellent vision at the end of it. Seems she has an astigmatism that didn't get corrected as expected or something like that. Honestly, I can't recall the exact specifics. But the second eye turned out perfectly.

She will get glasses because her vision isn't going to be perfect, but it's a helluva lot better, and she likes that aspect.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:25 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreDilaudidPlease! View Post

She will get glasses because her vision isn't going to be perfect, but it's a helluva lot better, and she likes that aspect.
I'm getting extremely annoyed by my general fuzzy vision. It's not bad with my 3.5 readers at the computer or books or newspapers, but everything else is annoyingly fuzzy juuuuust enough to be noticeable. Are my glasses dirty? Nope. Gunk in my eyes, shall we rub them a bit? Nope. Just browning corneas, as my optometrist cheerfully puts it. I am now counting the weeks until I can get them done under Medicare. I was going to try to put it off for another year, but I don't think I want to anymore.
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society