Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By frogger32091
  • 3 Post By DutchgirlRN
  • 1 Post By SVL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 AM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy UGH - The Job Hunting Game

Ok I have probably applied fro 100 different jobs as a nurse (not an exaggerated number. I have the emails to prove it.) and nothing yet. I am getting frustrated, discouraged, and running out of ideas. I have applied for acute care, skilled nursing, long term care, OR, ED, specialty, med-surg, if it had RN in the description, I have applied for it. I do not even remember half of the jobs that I have applied for and unfortunately I am running out of places and positions to apply to. I just do not know what else to do. My one lead on a job ended with being told that the hospital was not hiring until after the first of the year. I have been contacted by 3 different travel nursing positions, and though I wouldn't mind doing it, they want 1 years experience. My school sent my resume to them.

I do not like getting discouraged, and I know God has a plan for me, but I am struggling with my patience because I am one month away from going under. I cannot lose everything this close to my life getting better but I just don't know what to do. I was able to get a few Christmas gifts for my kids finally, thank God. But I do mean a few. I have 3 gifts for each girl. That has to be a new record for smallest Christmas for me. I know Christmas isn't about gifts and so do my girls, but still I feel bad. I cannot even answer my phone anymore cause everyone wants money. I know if I could just get 1 interview I could nail the job, but I cannot get any of them to call me back to schedule an interview.

On the flip side, I am scared that by the time they do call me, I will be so desperate for a job that they will be able to see my desperation in the interview and it will blow my chance at the job. I literately would take anything, anywhere, any hours, any pay right now, but I know you don't want to betray that in an interview.

Oh well, thank you for listening. I just needed to talk to someone. My classmates are having the same trouble finding jobs. Some of the nurses in this area that I have talked to suggested that I go outside the city to look for a job, but that has not helped either. I really have no idea what else to try.

Oh forgive my little Christmas pictures tossed in randomly that had nothing to do with my post. I just liked them. :)
Glendah46 likes this.

Frogger RN :) LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Sorry Frogger. I have two suggestions. Send me your resume and I'll see if I can improve on it for you. Do you have a cover letter written?

Also, call these places and ask to speak to the dept manager and tell them who you are and ask if you can make an appt to speak to them in person. That's what I did with my last 3 jobs. 1981, 1997 and 2012 and it worked all three times.

I like them too E-mail me your resume
Sabby, Melinurse and Nurseforever like this.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

My husband is in the same boat. He is looking but no luck. It is the economy right now. I wish I had some really awesome advise or tidbit of wisdom but it sounds like you are doing all you can. I would sure try DG's suggestions though. Reapply even if you have been turned down before, sometimes perserverance pays off. If you can get a part time at least ( even if it is not in nursing ) go for it. At least it is income to pay for the gas to get to interveiws, etc.

Sending prayers & good vibes your way. Also included in this response is a gentle hug.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:18 PM

Thanked 1,118 Times in 728 Posts
My Mood:

I agree. Be proactive, call the nurse recruiter, speak to him/her about your intentions. Also, if you can find out how to contact the unit manager directly. I know that sounds bold, but that's how I got my most recent job. I bypassed HR and talked with the manager, got an interview and was hired over the phone. My first nursing job was somewhat similar. I got it through networking, and I didn't go directly through HR. Just talk to people, network, join your professional organizations and meet people, get involved. It's the best way.
Melinurse likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to SVL For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 PM

Thanked 5,758 Times in 3,936 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchgirlRN View Post
Sorry Frogger. I have two suggestions. Send me your resume and I'll see if I can improve on it for you. Do you have a cover letter written?

Also, call these places and ask to speak to the dept manager and tell them who you are and ask if you can make an appt to speak to them in person. That's what I did with my last 3 jobs. 1981, 1997 and 2012 and it worked all three times.

I like them too E-mail me your resume

I so agree with Joanna, keep up plodding on hon I pray this all works out for you I really do. Love ya girl.
"Just for now. The challenge you are facing is just for now. The joy you are celebrating is just for now. The tide never remains in. It recedes to return again. Inhale and give thanks for your blessing. Exhale and release your burden. They are here just for now." ~ author unknown

Live, life, love with all of your heart, it is better than the alternative.

~ Sabby, RN
Old 11-29-2012, 08:01 AM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,401 Posts

Start walking a beat of as many MD offices and SNF's as you can. Dress professionally and try to hand your resume to someone. Ask to see the office manager, ADON etc.

This time of year a lot of people "get sick" or quit because they want the holidays off and if you have just said hello and dropped off a resume you are the winner.

I know this is hard, really hard, cold calling sucks, but it is a proven winner of a technique if you can make yourself do it. And you can!
The Following User Says Thank You to crunch For This Useful Post: