Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 10:50 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Travel Nursing

Just wondering if any of you would know if travel companies can utilize a nurse who has 12 years of experience in a doctors office? I do not have alot of other experience besides basic care, which most would consider assisted living, but here it is called basic care and I have a few months LTC.

None of this experience was as a RN, but in the clinic setting we all did the same job with the exception of certain tasks such as IV's. I know the clinic setting like the back of my hand:)

I was looking at picking up a traveling day here or there along with my regular job, but I am just not sure if I have enough experience behind me.

I have thought about going back to clinic nursing, but the pay sucks, I would make what I make as a LPN. They do not pay good around here for the clinic. So, I was wondering if travel companies staff for clinics.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 PM
HhRNhhr

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

You won't get hired for a hospital setting without hospital experience. Most travel companies require at least six months' acute care experience before they'll even hire you.
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HhRNhhr View Post
You won't get hired for a hospital setting without hospital experience. Most travel companies require at least six months' acute care experience before they'll even hire you.
Yeah, I understand that much, but do they staff for clinics also?
Old 10-17-2010, 11:06 PM
HhRNhhr

I've never heard of that. Clinics usually don't pay very well, and travel company fees are pretty high.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 10-17-2010, 11:19 PM

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HhRNhhr View Post
I've never heard of that. Clinics usually don't pay very well, and travel company fees are pretty high.
Thanks Tazzi, that is what I was thinkingth_scratchchin.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Dahlia

Mary, why don't you PM Glenda? She's a traveller and might have some insider info.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2010, 08:34 AM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudRN2010 View Post
Yeah, I understand that much, but do they staff for clinics also?

I'll have to look through my old e-mails but I was getting offers for travel nursing in a clinic setting a while back. I am thinking the company was called PRN.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:32 AM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,525 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

There are some agencies (Favorite Nurses, plus some local ones here) that will occasionally staff things such as a flu shot clinic, other clinics like that. It sounds like what you want would be agency nursing, not travel. Travelers typically do contracts. Agency nurses do shorter stints, sometimes only one night at a place. It is correct that acute care would not use you without recent acute care experience. Look for an agency that might do some of the other things, like clinics.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diary For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2010, 09:41 AM

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,690 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

My situation is unique in that I work with one company that "travels' me to where the work is. (Construction sites-large) And it requires for the most part ICU, ER and OCC health experience. ACLS and BLS at the very least. Experience helps-because I deal with the whole person. Not just an injury per se but if they come in sick, fit for duty, health and medication issues, etc. Not to mention environmental concernes, heat, cold stress, flu, education, etc. We are a relatively small group of about 22 individuals that do what I do for my company. You can check into Bechtel.com and see the opportunities....as far as any SWAY I have none. I must say this type of nursing is NOT for everyone and experience counts a lot. A lot of it is in what the company is looking for. I wish I could be more help.

“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glendah46 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2010, 10:03 AM

My Mood:

Thanks everyone!!! I have already contacted a nursing agency and they are very interested in my experience. I will be talking to them sometime this week for a phone interview. We shall see what happens.