Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DutchgirlRN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Top 12 Reasons To Get Your BSN

1. More job opportunities. Many employers require a BSN for numerous positions (especially management jobs) within their organization.
2. Leadership. To bring management and leadership skills to the floor.
3. Low-impact job options. As the years wear on, you?ll inevitably find yourself desiring a nursing job with less physical demands than floor nursing. Being able to fall back on the BSN degree makes this transition possible.
4. Master?s prep. It?s a stepping stone to getting a master?s degree.
5. Marketability. An increasing number of clinical job postings are listing ?BSN preferred.?
6. Opens the door to non-hospital opportunities. While you may be satisfied at your job today, earning a BSN will allow you to avoid scrambling when you?re ready to get out from under the fluorescents.
7. Personal enrichment. Earning a BSN requires a broad range of studies including liberal arts, history, poli-sci, informatics, health assessment, forensics, genetics?the list goes on!
8. Higher pay. ?Nuff said.
9. Flexibility. You can earn a BSN without being a full-time student. The flexibility of online education appeals to nurses who are interested in a higher degree, but are unable to devote the time all at once.
10. NP prep. It?s a stepping stone to getting the MSN as an NP.
11. Pride. The satisfaction of completing a bachelor?s degree.
12. Supplemental knowledge. Nurses who are interested in being the best they can be appreciate the extra knowledge that will enhance their everyday nursing skills.

12 biggest reasons nurses get a BSN | Scrubs – The Leading Lifestyle Nursing Magazine Featuring Inspirational and Informational Nursing Articles
Melinurse and PA-NURSE like this.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-03-2012, 11:55 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I'll be glad when I'm done. It's one of those things........while you are doing it you complain and complain..........but in hindsight I wouldn't trade the experiences I had for anything else.

The most important to me is the sense of accomplishment. I was depressed and felt as though I was spinning my wheels in life when I went back to school. Something kept telling me I needed to be doing more, so I did more. Now I don't feel that way anymore (that I'm spinning my wheels). I believe it will a long time before that feeling creeps up on me again.

It also buys you peace of mind. On nursing boards and at work, there are a lot of discussions about whether or not the BSN will become the new min. requirement for nursing. No one really knows if it will or not, so the ADN nurses insist it won't and insist BSN prepared nurses have no tangible advantage (for delivering care), but the BSN nurses insist they do have an advantage and say it should be the new requirement. Having a BSN negates the whole conversation for me. I don't have to worry about it. If it does become the min., I'm OK and if it doesn't...........meh, I'm fine with that too.

Job availability outside of hospitals is another motivating factor in my eyes. I need to stay at this hospital I am at now at least until I am invested in the retirement plan. After that, I'll be looking more closely into camp nursing.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:15 AM

Thanked 1,118 Times in 728 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I'm almost done. YAY! I've found my program to be both educational, and really not that difficult. I personally haven't noticed any difference in my area in jobs or pay for ADN v. BSN. It was also a non-issue for me finding a job in NC. I am doing it for myself. I just want the BSN.

Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-04-2012, 03:17 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,869 Times in 2,711 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I decided to just go get the BSN straight out of the gate because I had another Bachelor's and it meant I wouldn't have to do the liberal studies and general ed classes again because they were already done.

Plus, I want to be a NP and this seemed the fastest route to go.

As for the BSN vs. ASN thing... I don't know... my Maternity instructor said that it will never happen, and she also said the DNP is now pushed back to 2025.... by that time, I'll be ready to retire...

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN