Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default Should Marijuana Be Legal? Yea or Na?

There are a lot of good uses for marijuana besides getting high. Are you in favor of it being legalized? or just for medical reasons?
Wmgodspeed likes this.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

Reply With Quote Go to top
The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-24-2015, 06:08 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I think it should be legalized, grown, exported, taxed, regulated and sold like alcohol. 21 and over.

ETA: I haven't smoked pot in over 25 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farawyn For This Useful Post:
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 11-24-2015, 06:16 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I say legalize it, regulate it, tax it (think of the revenues!), stop sending people to jail over it (think of the tax money thatcould save), but as with alcohol, restrict it by age and legislate consequences for being intoxicated when driving and whatever other situations are for alcohol.

And that is why the COBs are your best friends
The Following User Says Thank You to RoamingTheWorld For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 06:44 PM

My Mood:

It's legal here in WA
The Following User Says Thank You to Emergent For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 06:56 PM

K-2 and spice are legal yet very dangerous and cause delirium, psychosis and even severe nausea when mixed with alcohol.

A naturally grown product, free of pesticides and chemicals, is preferable to having people experiment with unregulated synthetic marijuana.
Farawyn likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to icurnmaggie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 08:05 PM

Treat it just like alcohol in all terms, and it would be enough. If we cannot stop people from seeking high, at least they can use natural product with apparently less crave than something concosted in someone's basement fom only God knows which pills and dirty chemicals. After all, caffeine is addictive substance as well, and it is in every second bottle of pop.

P.S. I like medical use of it. We have one doctor who uses it quite extensively and in less than orthodox way, and it doesn't work in 100% of cases like everything else, but when it does, it is spectacular. A poor soul looking as a man from Nazi camp after huge surgery and all complucations one can think of failed X+1 attempt of TPN wean, was given the oil and Marinol and a bit of smoke, and walked out on his own legs just a month later, without TPN, eating normally, Hb WNL from 6, and NOT needing either weed or any sort of pain meds whatsoever. Full recovery after everyone else counted him for a loss.
icurnmaggie and Farawyn like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to KatieMI For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 08:36 AM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

I would prefer Marijuana to be legal rather than alcohol but we know that isn't happening. Alcohol ruins people lives and families when its not consumed in moderation. Alcohol kills r/t car accidents, etc...Marijuana does not. I have never smoked Marijuana because I don't want smoke of any kind in my lungs but I have no problem with anyone using it.

It seems to be of great benefit to certain illnesses such as cancer, neuropathy, and certain types of pain and nausea. I say bring it on. At least we can regulate it, pay taxes on it, etc...

I have taken care of patients who have used K2 and spice and two of them were permanently damaged and now live in an inpatient state psychiatric unit.
icurnmaggie, Farawyn and KatieMI like this.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 02:45 PM

Marijuana has been used as a medicine since the 12th century. It was sometimes part of the treatment plan of viriditas, or peace, health and safety to help the body heal itself, at Sister Hildegard Bingens Hotel Dieu hospital in Bingen Germany.

I learned about this, and a great deal about pre-modern medicine from Victoria Sweet's very interesting and readable book God's Hotel. The 12th century philosophy of healing was that of "a garden to be tended, rather than the modern notion of the body as a machine to be fixed."

Dr Sweet understands the true value of nursing care and validated my personal beliefs about the shortcomings of modern medicine.
Poliopioneer likes this.

Last edited by icurnmaggie; 11-25-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:32 PM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants annual conference 2yrs ago had a fabulous session on medical cannabis (the preferred term if you're not referring to recreational use). We learned there are more than a hundred compounds in cannabis, some of which have not been studied yet. Many of the ones studied do not result in intoxication but do attach to specific receptors in the brain, making different ones of them useful for (among other things)nausea, pain, seizures if certain kinds, and other things.

Interestingly, as any plant can be bred or hybridized for desirable characteristics, so can this one. Not all strains work for all receptors; not all strains make good recreational use. Not all work for nausea, seizures, or pain. The research is looking for ways to isolate and synthesize the compounds for desired effects.

Just as some corn is good for cornmeal, some for animal feed, some in different colors, and some for popping, or sunflowers can be grown for seeds, oil, windbreaks, or decor, so with this plant known to herbalists around the world for centuries. I think it's exciting to find something so useful, with so much potential, that can be put into play without controls by big pharma.

As they said at the Ether Dome (and probably in Alabama before that), "This is no humbug." Fascinating presentation.
icurnmaggie and Wmgodspeed like this.
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society
The Following User Says Thank You to GrnTea For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2015, 05:54 PM

My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I'm OK with legalizing it on a federal level, with the same restrictions as alcohol. Especially when driving.

GrnTea, unfortunately, it does have similar consequences as overindulgence of alcohol in drivers. It slows reaction time and contributes to accidents. Anecdotally, when I was in Denver, I was nearly sideswiped by people rolling blunts in the car a few times. And when I passed a lot of what I call "weavers", they were puffing.

I don't recall the statitistics offhand, but when I worked in a Trauma unit, an elevated marijauna level was a contributor in a number of the MVAs we had.

Marijuana is a controversial subject, but I've been around enough users and abusers to be a little worried about it.

Most people I know who abuse it use it to self-medicate instead of going on psych drugs. Psych drugs that they REALLY need.

But, I have also been around medical users who have found a lot of benefit with it, particularly cancer patients and seizure sufferers.

So, the pros may outweigh the cons, but the cons really need some attention and regulation.
GrnTea likes this.