Go Back   Just Us Nurses! A Forum for Nurses. Learn, Share, Discuss, Conversate. The Choice is Yours. Join Us Today! > Nursing Today > General Nursing Discussions

User Tag List

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By GrnTea
  • 1 Post By Nurseforever
  • 3 Post By KatieMI
  • 1 Post By Kylee
  • 1 Post By DutchgirlRN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 09:15 AM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,199 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Should I go for a DNP?

A friend of mine pointed out I could get my DNP for free in my home state.

I have to apply and get accepted but because of my advanced age I can attend for free. It will take me 3 years part time to complete the degree.

I wonder if it is worth the effort at my age, I do think it would help me gain employment in education if I still want to work.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Go to top
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-10-2016, 06:44 AM

Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,401 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

How old are you> How close are you to retirement?
Nursing Forum, Nursing Education, Nursing School, Nursing Chat, Nursing Bulletin Board, Nursing Vent, RN, LPN
Old 06-10-2016, 08:28 AM

Thanked 6,140 Times in 4,018 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch View Post
How old are you> How close are you to retirement?

I think the idea of free DNP is really cool but I would weigh the benefits vs the burdens. It really depends on your goals and how much longer you want to work. Will the DNP provide you with a significant pay raise? Are you willing to further your education while still working full time?
Old 06-14-2016, 11:29 AM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

What state are you in? I'm moving there.

I have a terrific study question and have the thing all mapped out, and the results would actually be useful. But at my age, there's no financial benefit to my having the DNP, and I wouldn't be able to use it for very long before the old senile dementia crept in. I would love to do it just for the love of learning, though...and to wave it in the face of my PhD daughter who thinks she's so damn smart.
SopranoKris likes this.
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society
Old 06-14-2016, 11:33 AM

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,199 Posts
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnTea View Post
What state are you in? I'm moving there.

I have a terrific study question and have the thing all mapped out, and the results would actually be useful. But at my age, there's no financial benefit to my having the DNP, and I wouldn't be able to use it for very long before the old senile dementia crept in. I would love to do it just for the love of learning, though...and to wave it in the face of my PhD daughter who thinks she's so damn smart.

Commonwealth of MASS

A Senior Citizen Guide for College: Massachusetts

I question the value for job prosepcts but it would be a nice personal achievement
Melinurse likes this.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:56 AM

My Mood:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurseforever View Post
Commonwealth of MASS

A Senior Citizen Guide for College: Massachusetts

I question the value for job prosepcts but it would be a nice personal achievement
Well, hell, I'm just half an hour from UMass Dartmouth. We'll just have to see about that.
And drinking largely sobers us again. ... A. Pope

Proud member of the Crusty Old Bat Society
Old 06-16-2016, 07:19 PM

The only one question you need to answer:

- if I think about it, why I might want it? What, exactly, will change if I do it?

If you know the answer and it is in clear terms, then go for it. It may be whatever. For some people, more education and another two letters after last name justify all efforts, and this is ok. For some, it can be, say, part time teaching in local nursing school so not to die out of boredom while early in retirement. For some, just keeping brains from getting rusty (prophylaxis of Alzheimer, BTW).

We had once a patient, in his 70th, who spent almost half a year in hospital in isolation as a result of huge wound inhabited by every multidrug resistant bug one can think of. The poor soul was literally bored to death till two nurses, me including, who happened to be amateur scholars in history, linguistics and medieval science, started to bring him books to read. In couple of months, he learned Spanish with some help from bilingual staff. Then there was Latin. Then, for some reason, Greek. Then, among all things, Russian. The guy was lucky to walk outta there alive and (well, almost) whole; after a while a doc who was doing his follow up told us that the guy is heading for degree in Slavonic studies in Colambia University. Just out of love for the wonderful world of human cultures, languages and feeling, so unexpectedly opened for him. BTW, he came in being addicted to opioids, benzos and a few antidepressants with needs quickly escalating - after couple of months, he was off all of them. He was busy as a bee in summer day, and just had no time for anything except standard hospital routine plus 8 or so hours of reading and studying every day.
GrnTea, Farawyn and Here.I.Stand like this.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:54 PM
The Irish Fireball

Thanked 3,868 Times in 2,710 Posts
My Mood:
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

NF, I'm going to tell you what you told me once...

Education is never a waste.

If you want to do so, do so. A lot of us here went back and got degrees (I got a second Bachelor's) after age 40. In 3 years, you could have a DNP or you can be 3 years older without one.

Up to you, but if I had a chance like that, I'd jump on it.
Nurseforever likes this.

Pinstripes are never out of season...

Kylee, BSN, RN
Old 06-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Owner/Administrator

Thanked 7,713 Times in 4,409 Posts
My Mood:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurseforever View Post
A friend of mine pointed out I could get my DNP for free in my home state.

I have to apply and get accepted but because of my advanced age I can attend for free. It will take me 3 years part time to complete the degree.

I wonder if it is worth the effort at my age, I do think it would help me gain employment in education if I still want to work.

What do you think?
If you can do it for free, by all means, go for it! You would be awesome and a DNP will make you more marketable in any job you go after. My understanding is that it is fairly easy to get an online teaching position with a DNP. You also ready have education experience so there you go! Yes please do it. I am almost 61. I wish Tennessee had such a program!
Kylee likes this.

Joanna MSN, APRN, FNP-BC

The Following User Says Thank You to DutchgirlRN For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2016, 11:23 AM

My Mood:
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I agree that better FREE education is never a waste.

What will you do with your DNP?